The MT-07 Forum

Fz-07 or Panigale...Am I crazy!?

kawinight

So I made the mistake.....of taking a Fz-07 for a demo (grey w/green wheels). I enjoyed the short 5 mile ride. Was comfy seemed to have enough power for around town and twistie mountain roads (where I love riding) I own a 1199 outright and I've only had it for about 5 months. Taken to the mountains a few times, definitely has plenty of power, but it's handling could be better (base model) throttle is on or off and well it's hot as hell. The Panigale just seems to be too much for my riding style/commute (40 miles one way 70-80mph). I feel it's made me slower and less smooth in the mountains. I think I'll be faster and smoother and have more fun. Parts are cheaper on the Fz and I should be able to do some suspension upgrades (nm22 ohlins) full exhaust pc5 etc.. With to extra money and the bike will paid off as well. Not to mention my wife might actually ride passenger. Passenger on a Panigale is just torture! Maybe I'm crazy for even thinking of trading a 1199 for a Fz!!?? What do y'all think? Personal thought? Experience? Fighting myself!! Just want some different perspective/a slap in the face if needed..... Thanks!!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
twowheeladdict

I think that most people who have a Panigale have it as a second bike, or a weekend toy.

I think that you might want some wind protection for that commute.

Good luck.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Well, I think I have some perspective on this. I have never owned a Panigale, but I've owned the FZ-07 and a few supersport bikes. I replaced my FZ-07 with a my current GSXR 600 because I wasn't happy overall with the FZ. I kept going back and forth with it, trying to convince myself that I was happy, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't the bike for me. Long story short, I'm much MUCH happier on my GSXR. The Panigale obviously has more power, and it's better looking, but the idea is the same. It's a supersport. The major difference is that you bought a track bike for the street. There's no comfort there at all. Dry clutch, hyper aggressive stance, stiff suspension, and way more power than you will ever use on the street. Ducatis are works of art. I love to look at them, but I would never buy one. Maintenance is crazy expensive and too frequent. The FZ-07 is really easy to work on, the parts are cheap, it's a good looking machine, and you can customize it to make it be what you want. I was happy with it for a short while, but once the novelty of a new bike wore off, I was already a ton of upgrades that I couldn't afford. I decided to get a bike that was closer to what I wanted in the first place, and I found that in the GSXR.
So I guess you need to decide what your priorities are here. I also commute mainly, but I love the howl and power of an in line 4 so much that I had to go back to a supersport bike. If that's not really the issue for you, then you could do a lot worse than an FZ-07. Great bang for the buck, much better looking than the FZ-09, and even if I wasn't happy with it all the time, I certainly did enjoy it to a large extent. It was relatively comfortable for medium distances, though a better seat was on my list of upgrades.

If I were you, and you really want to go that route, I would wait for the FZ-10. That thing looks beast.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I first read this as I have an FZ thinking about a 1199. Ditch the 1199 before the 15000 service and get an FZ-09.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I think FZ07 is probably one of the best bikes out there. Easy to handle and more than enough power when you wanna do some mountain carving on twisty roads. Its great for highway as well but you may need a windscreen.

bikelife38

sounds like the panigale was the wrong bike for you from the start. my opinion with the info provided...ditch the panigale right away and road test an fz09. 07's and 09's are both spectacular bikes and will not leave you disappointed. i think you should definitely ride both though

AlbatrossCafe

FZ-07. It makes commuter-style riding actually fun where on supersports or superbikes it can be very frustrating (since you can't open it up ever). Cornering is fun as well because this bike is <400lbs so you can really throw it around without trying. Also:

[ul type=disc][*]The FZ-07 is cheap. Changing the body panels cost 1/5 the price of a normal sportbike. Also maintenance is way less than a Ducati.
[*]The FZ-07 is very easy to work on. No fairings + simple but efficient Yamaha technology means it is great if you want to do or learn how to do your own maintenance. And if you mess something up OEM parts are cheap and easy to replace.
[*]Reliability is through the roof.[/ul]
Lastly, if you get an FZ you can be apart of THE GREATEST MOTORCYCLE FORUM THAT EVER EXISTED

I owned a cbr1000rr and then bought the Yamaha bolt to try and put some cash away,try out a cruiser/bobber style, wasn't making it to the mountains as often, and wanted to try something different. I owned it less than a month, my reasons for selling it were not enough lean angle and the commute to work at 70-80mph with no wind protection was annoying. Mostly though I felt like I was going to wreck it going into a corner too hot and no room to lean it. My wife loved it though (way more comfy than the cbr) she hated I sold it and got the Panigale. I got the Panigale cause well it's a dream bike, looks amazing,sounds great,the power is ridiculous. But besides the wheelies on command and quick shifter (favorite thing) the bike is un comfy (I know not supposed to be) hot, just handles ok, and the power can be too much and choppy/unstable when in the twisties. I know if I sold traded it I would miss the quick shifter,beauty of it, and the looks/comments I get on it. This would be my 6th bike if I got it.
99 zx6r
07 zx6r
Cbr1000rr
Bolt
Panigale

• Premium Member

You might want to check out the 2016 XSR 900 as well. So far the reviews have been pretty positive. Would make a great commuting bike and fun for some twisties. Plus it looks way better than an FZ-09 and has adjustable suspension

twowheeladdict

The bike that would make your wife happy, you happy, and be a good commuter and mountain bike would be the faux adventure bikes. The BMW S1000XR, Ducati Multistrada, Honda VFR1200X, Kawasaki Versys 1000. Those should be on your list of test rides.

2015 FZ-07

straydogeod

I have a 2013 Multistrada sitting on consignment right now at the dealership I bought my FZ07 from. Can't wait for it to sell and will never look back. This FZ07 is for me, a much better bike. The Multi is a fantastic machine and performs amazingly but for me the fact that it's so damn expensive to properly maintain (as mentioned, the 15k service plus belt replacement) sucks a large amount of fun right out of it. Plus it's way too tall for my 5'7" ass and while it has awesome power and handles like a sport bike, it is lacking the character the FZ07 in my humble opinion.

If I had to do it all over again I would have never sold the SV650S I had before with all kinds of sweet mods and never would have bought the Multi. I'd probably still have wound up buying an FZ :P

Although the 1199 Panigale looks beautiful, personally, I know I wouldn't want one as my only bike.
The FZ-07 is easy to live with and a heck of a lot of fun to ride.

I've owned a lot of supposedly more desirable sport bikes in the past, but today, I say you can keep 'em.

canyoncarver31

I have an R1 and since I got the 07, the R1 has been sitting in my garage collecting dust. The bikes are both recreational and I only ride twisty roads or track. I do have the means to keep both bike so I do. I was just talking to a friend and told him if I had a choice to do it all over again, Id go with the 07 only and spend the money on nice parts for it.

• Global Moderator

Beautiful bike, the Ducati 1199, a work of art:

[video src=https://youtu.be/BZpRrIH9Mh4]

But hardly comparable with a FZ07 apart from both being motorcycles. The 1199 is an purebred Italian race horse that needs a lot of love and attention.
The FZ07 is a basic Universal Japanese Motorcycle. Its strength is that it is a a simple back to basic and cheap bike.
It just needs some DIY maintenance and will be bullet proof.
You will have no bragging rights, but the FZ will serve you like a obedient dog.
It could be a platform for modifications but the Duc is way more bike then the FZ will ever be. 

Would I want a 1199? Of course! But only as a straight trade. It is almost 3 times (I'm guessing here) the price, I doubt it will be as dependable as the FZ. Not to mention the depreciation.  
Maintenance will bleed you dry on the Duc.  I have owned my bike 2 years now. And apart from adding some fun bits the only maintenance was changing the oil and filter and cleaning my chain. Checking valves  on this bike is something you do every 24000 miles (or 40000 km) and I will bet that they hardly need adjustment.

By the way, asking this question on a FZ07 forum might result in a somewhat biased answer  ;)

• Global Moderator

I love the looks of the Duc but I would not trade my FZ-07 for one because that is not the bike for the type of riding I do. Now if someone wanted to trade a XSR900 or maybe a FZ-09 that might be a different story.

designslucid

Green wheels?!?! They're hi-lighter yellow!!! Ha.

It's a great bike, and would make anyone happy to own. Replace the Duck? Probably not, but it'd make a hell of a cruise bike.

Have a buddy with a SuperDuke1290R as well as a 690 Duke. He rides with one guy who has the Panigale (as well as a doc MS) and another who now rides a 1100 Tuono V4. These guys all swap rides now and then for grins. The guy with the Ducs loves the S DukeR. They would all agree it's the most comfy of the bunch, gets the best gas mileage, and has the best wind protection. If yer into symphony, it's that V4 Tuono for sound effects. But the S DukeR is also only 40 or so pounds heavier than the FZ and even with my 28" inseam, I can reach the ground w/o issue.

Imo, the FZ7 is just too small to be hauling a passenger - for any length of time. Sure, it'll be better than the 2 bugs f-ing posture of the Duc, but!.

So, It still has too much power for your daily needs (that's what the electronic nannies are for), and it is a bunch of cash, but to meet the fun factor in the twisties and haul yer wife on some long rides in comfort (as well you know, that's important), I'd have a look at the SDuke's sport touring cousin, the GT. It'll have a bigger seat - front and back, hard bags, as well as even more wind protection. And then there's the motor -

The torque that monster motor makes will just blow you away!

straydogeod
Have a buddy with a SuperDuke1290R as well as a 690 Duke. He rides with one guy who has the Panigale (as well as a doc MS) and another who now rides a 1100 Tuono V4. These guys all swap rides now and then for grins. The guy with the Ducs loves the S DukeR. They would all agree it's the most comfy of the bunch, gets the best gas mileage, and has the best wind protection. If yer into symphony, it's that V4 Tuono for sound effects. But the S DukeR is also only 40 or so pounds heavier than the FZ and even with my 28" inseam, I can reach the ground w/o issue.  
Imo, the FZ7 is just too small to be hauling a passenger - for any length of time. Sure, it'll be better than the 2 bugs f-ing posture of the Duc, but!.

So, It still has too much power for your daily needs (that's what the electronic nannies are for), and it is a bunch of cash, but to meet the fun factor in the twisties and haul yer wife on some long rides in comfort (as well you know, that's important), I'd have a look at the SDuke's sport touring cousin, the GT. It'll have a bigger seat - front and back, hard bags, as well as even more wind protection. And then there's the motor -

The torque that monster motor makes will just blow you away!

That 1290 GT is the object of my lustful desires right now. I should admit however I have 2 KTMs (690 SMC/500 EXC) in the garage so I have sipped upon the kool aid (and I like it-A LOT). For now the FZ does all I want out of a street focused bike but eventually, when I'm fully out of debt the 1290 GT will be my next obnoxious moto purchase after I scrape my pennies together long enough.

Still...there is something to be said for the no frills, easy to own, and just plain fun nature of the FZ07.  If I ever am able to swing a 1290 GT I'll probably still have my FZ if in any way I'm able to.  It really is a super fun bike in every regard.  Have yet to take a passenger though, can't speak to that.

I have an aging Aprilia Futura in the garage that sits patiently now with the FZ. It's my 2-up toy.

As jaded as this friend could be with hardware (he's also ridden the hp4 version S1000RR and owns a 2015 Vette), he sits on my FZ, shakes his head a bit and pronounces it "perfect". He's as interested in riding it as I am his 1290R (I'm too dang short to ride his 09 Duke)

I'm waiting on some bits from pattonme to take smooth the rough compression damping edges to my Andreanni cartridges. But when that's sorted, we'll swap bikes and while on the way more powerful bike, i'll still try to keep up. lol. These guys all used to race WERA. What fun!

You guys have some interesting perspectives you bring to the table! Thanks! So far the numbers as the dealer look good. So now it's a pull the trigger type thing. I could use the extra cash in the bank and I should consider my wife doesn't work anymore with two kids to take care of. I'm not much of high speed demon more of a accelerate to speed fast and twisties drag knee kinda guy. My skill is good but I'm no Wera racer. The bike does seem to make me slower in the twisties than my previous bikes. More than likely the only time the wife will ride 2up is on "date nights" out when they're available. I have friend with a sv650 with some suspension work and he likes to bring it to the twisties when we go. Definitely not slow on at and carries plenty of speed to keep pace. I feel like I could do the same with the Fz? Thinking its a Cheap,fun,bike to have. Feel like I could rail it and have more fun than be reserved/clunky on the Duc..... I'm just concerned I'll regret it. I'm sure I'll miss the looks, and the looks I get on it. Decisions decisions.... Keep the perspectives/thoughts coming!!!

Just a thought ... if you like a naked, want comfort for 2up riding but are afraid the FZ-07 may be lacking in the torque and power you are accustomed to from riding that Panigale and don't want to spend a whole lot, a Bonneville T120 may be something to look at. It's no racer but it is a comfortable naked with lots of grunt. 

Beemer

Actually never was a fan of nakeds until I saw this. Maybe it's those highlighter green wheels that caught my eye. Let's not forget looks here, sorry don't like the look of any triumphs,no beemers,no ducs. Part of this is keeping cost low otherwise I would just keep the pani. I think the xsr900 is nice, but price, 3k more ergonomics are more leaned further, looks like you sit more on top of the bike then Fz and the passenger pegs look a little high as if the passenger may be more comfy on the Fz. My perspective anyway.

I've owned my share of BMWs and will likely never go back.

The new 1200 T120 is on my "to ride" list as, is this http://silodrome.com/triumph-thruxton-r/

knowing that the suspension was bottom shelf going into the showroom, I've not been disappointed with the FZ . Fit and finish are far better than the OE price should allow (and that same buddy and I were on our knees looking for anything tacky when we 1st saw it at the dealer). Gas mileage is amazing and parts are crazy inexpensive if need be. Combine the light weight, ease of maintenance, a list of potential farkles that's a mile long, and just overall user friendliness of the thing, it's, imho, a keeper.

Am I crazy or are there no pics posted yet?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I don't know, you seem to want something with a lot less juice, more comfortable ergos, and less damage to the bank account. The FZ07 definitely fits that bill. I just worry about the pretty massive jump in power. The Fizz will feel really strong at around town speeds, but just won't compare to the Panigale past about 60 or 70. If you can live with the major loss of power, I'd say go for it. If you want something in between the fizz and the panigale, then you might also test a street triple.  Solid bike with a comfortable passenger position + seat (at least according to my 5'4" 120 lb gf).

Archived