The MT-07 Forum

Cat vs no cat

trueman09

Sorry if this has been talked about before, I just ordered my akrapovic titanium just waiting impatiently for it lol. Just wondering if people were installing the catalytic convertor or not. I'm pretty sure I'll be going without the silencer but don't know if people are installing the cat, I know it's for emissions but does it effect sound or anything? I don't know if the O2 sets a check engine light or not, and I'm new to bikes so unsure if it monitors that or just fuel trims. Thanks in advance for your help

Akra titanium no db killer, Vagabond rear fender eliminator, Cyclone LED headlight

Guest Ralph

I dont have a clue about the cat but unplugging the 02 sensor does not set a check light,
mine as been running without it for a few hundred miles, it runs better at low throttle
openings and looses any tendency to surge and stall at low speed.

• Premium Member

Cats are for solely legal reasons.... don't know what state you live in, but CA requires them. It doesn't mean that people don't ride without them. So unless you're concerned about getting fined for it, it's not necessary. I don't own this exhaust, so I can't tell you anything in regards to how the cat effects the sound or anything. Hopefully someone on the forum who has it can help you out.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I have no firsthand knowledge, but from research in the past I have heard the cat in does change the sound a bit. If I were to talk out of my ass, which I am going to right now, having the Akra Ti with the baffle and cat in is the closest you will get to stock setup on an aftermarket exhaust.

As said by @ralph, check engine light is never an issue. My question is what aspect are you mainly focusing on with your question?

If you intend to run with the baffle out, might as well not spend the money on the cat. Instead of spending 100 bucks on the cat, I'd either spend another 100 for the EJK or another 200 for a reflash.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I have the akra ti and have ridden both with and without the cat installed. The only difference in sound is with the cat its a little more mellow at cruise rpm. With the 2wdw flash it feels like it has a little more power without. No issues throwing codes.

Perfect thanks guys, I read it came with the cat but not 100% sure. I'll probably leave it out and see if i like it. Any recommendations on a tuner or power commander and where to get it? My city doesn't have much in the way of anything for performance or aftermarket parts

Akra titanium no db killer, Vagabond rear fender eliminator, Cyclone LED headlight

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

2WheelDynoWork Mail in Tune. You will not be disappointed. Plus you get free re flashes for life just pay return shipping.

I would prefer to have something I can put back to factory as I still have a fairly lengthy warranty on it.

• 2 years later...

A catalytic converter is an exhaust emission control device that converts toxic and harmful gases and pollutants in exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine into less-toxic pollutants by catalyzing a redox reaction.

If you prefer your emissions to be toxic then remove the cat, it's not helpful at all.

Archived