The MT-07 Forum

Fz-07 2UP riding experience

talusblue

How many of you ride 2up (two passengers) on your FZ-07?

My wife and I normally ride 2up.

Just curious how many else ride with a guest and what you impression is of how well the bike handles.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

My wife and I ride from time to time but not very often (Because she doesn't have a helmet. The FZ-07 is certainly capable of 2 up riding but the suspension wallows a little more and direction changes take a little more gusto. Once my wife gets her full gear I'd like to go on some longer rides.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

How many of you ride 2up (two passengers) on your FZ-07?  
My wife and I normally ride 2up.

Just curious how many else ride with a guest and what you impression is of how well the bike handles.

Two passengers!?!?! That's skill, I can only handle one passenger ;) 
I take passengers pretty often. Different people. It's so much nicer with a 100lb passenger, than a 130lb passenger. That 30lbs makes such a big difference. In any case, it immediately changes from sporty to fairly basic commuting as soon as they hop on. You can go decently fast in the corners, but you have to load the suspension before pulling strong through the corner, or it would be unsafe.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I rode 2up fairly frequently when I had an fz. Mostly just to and from restaurants near our home. Girlfriend said comfort level was fine, even when we'd get on the free way.

Don't really ride 2up anymore out of a concern for safety, and I hate what it does to the handling of a sporty bike.

bmwpowere36m3

Handles fine when cruising with the GF... She's still a novice to motorcycling. Her only complaint, initially, was the lack of a backrest, which she found a little less "secure" compared to my other bike that has one. So she held on TIGHT, but she's gotten more comfortable and relaxed. Now she wants to try riding herself, granted a scooter ;)

Handles fine when cruising with the GF... She's still a novice to motorcycling. Her only complaint, initially, was the lack of a backrest, which she found a little less "secure" compared to my other bike that has one. So she held on TIGHT, but she's gotten more comfortable and relaxed. Now she wants to try riding herself, granted a scooter ;)
Corbin's got something for you!  
yfz714gl_2t.jpg

I was hoping to find an fz with the full on cruiser high back rest.  I want to see an FZ converted to Prince's motorcycle.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

bmwpowere36m3
Corbin's got something for you!  
yfz714gl_2t.jpg

I was hoping to find an fz with the full on cruiser high back rest.  I want to see an FZ converted to Prince's motorcycle.

Yeah, no freakin way… she can "suck it up" ;)

canyoncarver31

I took the wife up to our favorite road last weekend. Threw on the corbin seat too and cranked up the rear preload. Bike handles fine, little movement over bumps but that was expected. Did start grinding the peg feelers a lot more from the additional weight. Probably need better brake pads as the added weight didnt help the already bad stock ones.

I take my gf often on the back. After about 50 miles without stopping she starts complaining about the seat. Other than that no problems.

I've done it with a friend a few times and as long as no cagers cause me grief I'm OK with it but it's when I have to brake hard or maneuver quickly that I don't like 2up riding. I don't like how the extra weight inhibit's a bikes flickability and I don't like people mashing into me during hard braking because it affects my balance, abilities and concentration. Any more, I try to avoid 2up riding for safety reasons.

Beemer

My wife hated riding on the back of this one. On past bikes I had grab handles or what she did most was hold around me and brace against the tank when we stop. But this tank is so low in comparison to my old 600 she doesn't like it.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I've done it with a friend a few times and as long as no cagers cause me grief I'm OK with it but it's when I have to brake hard or maneuver quickly that I don't like 2up riding. I don't like how the extra weight inhibit's a bikes flickability and I don't like people mashing into me during hard braking because it affects my balance, abilities and concentration. Any more, I try to avoid 2up riding for safety reasons.
Have to give people a quick lesson in being a passenger before giving them a ride. I find that's the best way to not have this happen during hard braking. I always tell passengers one arm goes around me, the other hand rests on the tank/tank protector. That way they can brace themselves during hard braking and not fall off during take off. And whatever they do, don't lean the opposite way I'm leaning. 

Have to give people a quick lesson in being a passenger before giving them a ride. I find that's the best way to not have this happen during hard braking. I always tell passengers one arm goes around me, the other hand rests on the tank/tank protector. That way they can brace themselves during hard braking and not fall off during take off. And whatever they do, don't lean the opposite way I'm leaning. 
You assume I haven't given those lessons? I would love to see how a gp racer would respond when asked if they would mind a passenger, even a good one, being on the back of their bike during a race. I can assure anyone they wouldn't like it for a number of reasons and handling being one of the biggest factors. My biggest beef is the bike becomes too top heavy and you can't flick it from side to side as quickly. Wait, maybe it's because you can't stop as fast now.

Beemer

I took my wife on pillion with just 500 miles logged on my very first bike (the FZ07). I think that's a testament to how well the bike rides (but it should be noted our combined weight on the bike is 250lbs).

I got in about several hundred miles total with her on the back over 6 months, then she got her own motorcycle, the R3. I took her on pillion with the R3, holy ****. Don't ever want to do that again. I have probably only like 4 miles with her on the back total on the R3 with no intention of adding any more miles with the wife on pillion on that bike.  I'll make an exception for my daughter on the back of the R3 but recently I use the z1000 for riding with my daughter.

The only thing I learned not to do with a passenger with any bike is u-turns. Although I did a u turn on the FZ07 just fine with the wife, as in I didn't drop the bike... recently I rode pillion with her on my z1000, almost dropped it doing a u turn. And on the R3 with my 50lbs daughter in pillion, the u turn felt very bad. So yeah, just try your best not to get into a situation where you need to u turn.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Guest ChicagoAJ
You assume I haven't given those lessons? I would love to see how a gp racer would respond when asked if they would mind a passenger, even a good one, being on the back of their bike during a race. I can assure anyone they wouldn't like it for a number of reasons and handling being one of the biggest factors. My biggest beef is the bike becomes too top heavy and you can't flick it from side to side as quickly. Wait, maybe it's because you can't stop as fast now.
http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2014/08/28/the-185-mph-piggyback-ride-motogp-pillion/ 
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/07/20/enjoy-the-ride-of-your-life-on-the-ducati-two-seater/180220

I've seen countless articles with Moto GP guys and retired racers who exclusively do 2-up rides now. One guy has done over 900 and hasn't dropped a single person. I wasn't saying you have never given passengers the run through, no need to be defensive. I was just stating in general terms that's what I've done and it seems to help a bit until you get on it and start scraping pegs in turns. 

The only factor I have encountered, is how comfortable the passenger is on the pillion. I am surprised to hear mentions of grinding and flickability. But I shouldn't assume anything, as maybe the passengers want to go for an exciting ride. When I ride two up, I ride at my absolute safest, slowest, and mellowest rate. So I haven't noticed any major riding issues with the bike. LIke I said, the only issue is comfort for the passenger. I think it helps if the passenger is of smaller stature.

May I suggest that in the future if you want to make a general statement and still keep the peace you should hit the reply button and make your statement instead of hitting the quote button and replying to a person directly because it does nothing but imply you are directly countering/correcting them and people tend to get defensive when someone does that. You also totally misunderstood what I was saying about 2up riding. I'm sure others understood me. Go in peace, ride safe.

Beemer

For me when i take someone who's light around 100lbs they slide around an i get pushed up on the tank but when i bring someone who is about 145lbs its so much better and it feels comfortable for me.

2up on the 07? Yes it could be done. But fun it isn't. The mini pad that serve as a pillion is ok for a very short commute. I'm 160 lbs. If my passenger is 120 lbs or under, the suspension deal well with the total weight. Also, if my passenger is tall, she would feel too cramped because the pegs are too high.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Archived