The MT-07 Forum

Handlebars comfort question

steve45058

steve45058

I am a newer rider and I am still trying to figure out what is comfortable for me and proper riding posture. 

Because I am a shorter individual (5'5) should I adjust the handle bars a little bit?  Like somehow roll them inward so I don't have to reach as far?  

I know when some of my friends have ridden behind me they remark that I look really stiff on the bike.  I am not sure if that's because I my arms are more extended than theirs or I really am gripping the bars too tightly. (I don't feel like I am)

Thanks!

booboobusfz07
I am a newer rider and I am still trying to figure out what is comfortable for me and proper riding posture.  
Because I am a shorter individual (5'5) should I adjust the handle bars a little bit?  Like somehow roll them inward so I don't have to reach as far?  

I know when some of my friends have ridden behind me they remark that I look really stiff on the bike.  I am not sure if that's because I my arms are more extended than theirs or I really am gripping the bars too tightly. (I don't feel like I am)

Thanks!

Best way for us to give you an answer is to show with pics what you're talking about.

One thing I can say for sure though. You looking stiff on the bike is most likely due to your new rider status. You'll ease up and get more "comfortable" as you gain experience.

steve45058

Yeah I definitely need to take a picture riding or just sitting on the bike. Will try to get that up for sure though

I'm 5.6 and find the straight up seated position uncomfortable. One thing I don't really like about the fz 07. I miss having some weight distributed on my arms. My back actaully starts tohurt.

For you I don't think turning the bars much will help. The bike is a roadster and yamaha specifically made the seating position for the type of bike it is.

You're just too tense and stiff. My wife is 5'3" she has no issues riding the FZ07 when she switched from her R3. She has over a year of riding experience. Also I'm 5'6". I don't think that one inch makes any difference in arm length between you and me. Also one of the things I liked to do on the FZ07 was to scoot my butt all the way back until I felt the pillion and/or seat cowl touch my lower back. This definitely extended my arms abut I enjoyed that.

Grip the tank with your knees, relax your grip and arms.

First and foremost before you make any changes is get some riding time in. Let your body adapt because it is still trying to figure everything out because riding a motorcycle is completely new to your body.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

steve45058
You're just too tense and stiff. My wife is 5'3" she has no issues riding the FZ07 when she switched from her R3. She has over a year of riding experience. Also I'm 5'6". I don't think that one inch makes any difference in arm length between you and me. Also one of the things I liked to do on the FZ07 was to scoot my butt all the way back until I felt the pillion and/or seat cowl touch my lower back. This definitely extended my arms abut I enjoyed that. 
Grip the tank with your knees, relax your grip and arms.

First and foremost before you make any changes is get some riding time in. Let your body adapt because it is still trying to figure everything out because riding a motorcycle is completely new to your body.
Thanks I think I am just really thinking too much into it.  Only barely broke the 200mile mark lol.  Getting shorty levers did help my tiny hands though haha

Archived