The MT-07 Forum

need help. 2wdw flash or pcv with free dyno tune

Fearedbynone

Fearedbynone

the dealer i got my fz-07 from offered me a deal on a pcv. if i buy the pcv they will tune my bike on their in house dyno for no charge. my family members work there so they taking care of me. their normal dyno tuning take about 4 hours to do so i will be saving a good bit of cash, maybe around 900.

my other option is the reflash from 2wdw. i was planning to do this before the pcv deal was offered.

i am still leaning more toward the reflash because of the other benefits of the reflash (engine breaking etc.)

what would you guys do? it will be close to the same cost either way. 

bike downtime will be 4 days for dyno or i am guessing a week for the reflash?

they have to trailer my bike to another of their stores about 2 hours away and send it back on the truck on the regular stock transfer days.

for the reflash, i have to mail my ecu and wait for it to get back.

so the wait time is not a significant issue.

thanks

Dave

• Premium Member

Get the reflash first, then let them tune it with the PCV...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

sansnombre

If you have upgrades that 2WDW has in their database, no question: REFLASH. Their process IS dyno tuned already, so you're getting the same specific attention as you would if your group did your dyno tune, BUT the reflash can modify things that the PCV cannot and every single review I've seen are very positive. Take a look at their dyno runs - fantastic.

If you have custom mods or mods that 2WDW has not mapped yet - say . . . an Arrow pipe - then the decision gets more complex, but they do offer free reflashes for future upgrades, so you're covered there.

Even their "stock" reflash looks great and helps ridability and power, so I think that's the way to go. FWIW.

Fearedbynone

all i have is an m4 slip on, maybe doing a filter, but the stock filter looks like its pretty decent. they have the m4 in the database.

you all are saying what i already figured, thank you for confirming my thoughts.

i'm going to skip the pcv and just do the reflash.

getting the tank and front fender painted in the next few months, going to try and send it in for flash during the same week. maximize the downtime.

Dave

Fearedbynone
i can only do one for now, i am guessing the dyno offer is very limited time. 

Dave

• Global Moderator

I would recommend the 2wDw flash

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

i can only do one for now, i am guessing the dyno offer is very limited time.  
Dave

Don't let a limited time offer sway you to make a decision you wouldn't others mame. Do the reflash. You also get other tidbits like lower cooling fan temp switching. Reflashed is thorough.

It really comes down to what your plan is for the FZ07. The reflash is kind of like a box wrench, it works perfectly for a specific setup. The PCV is more like a vice grip, it is very adaptable to different setups that you may want vs what may or may not be available through the company providing the flash.

Both can literally do the same thing so go with the option that best suits your needs for what you want to do with your FZ07.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

• Global Moderator
It really comes down to what your plan is for the FZ07. The reflash is kind of like a box wrench, it works perfectly for a specific setup. The PCV is more like a vice grip, it is very adaptable to different setups that you may want vs what may or may not be available through the company providing the flash. 
Both can literally do the same thing so go with the option that best suits your needs for what you want to do with your FZ07.
The reflash is more of a socket set...
if the one doesnt fit because of an upgrade, the reflash only costs the $5 to ship it back to washington

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The reflash is more of a socket set... if the one doesnt fit because of an upgrade, the reflash only costs the $5 to ship it back to washington
 If there is no flash available for your current setup, you can't update it. Don't forget the down time, where as the PCV can be modified by oneself or locally by a tuner if so desired. I'm not knocking the flash, I've heard nothing but good things about it, it's just limited in that respect. Again, it comes down to what you want to do with the bike. Right tool for the job so to speak.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

• Premium Member

Is there an altitude difference where you are vs reflash people? Dyno at a local shop will account for that. Since I live at 4600' I worry about that kind of stuff. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

Fearedbynone

already talked to 2wdw about altitude. not an issue. i live -20 ft to +6 ft sea level. 20 minutes from new orleans.

not planning to change my bike once i get everything setup, so being able to change settings on my own is not an issue.

running an m4 and removing the snorkel are the only mods, and they have the tune for that, most i might do in the future is go to a full akra ti system and they also have the tune for that.

i should be sending the fundage to 2wdw this week and then in july/aug when i get my bike painted i will use that downtime to send the ecu.

thanks

Dave

The time it takes wouldn't even be a factor for me if I were saving around $900 and since it's also totally free so I would go for the dyno tune. If I weren't happy with it later for any reason and they agreed to re-tune  for free I would let them. If I thought after that, that they can't tune it to my satisfaction I would then pay for work elsewhere. 

Beemer

Well not quite the same thing :) Flash changes other ECU features, not just fuel and ignition. I love that man bike doesn't even get close to 224F like it was on a hot summer day in traffic, before the flash. And that fuel cut... 

Agreed, having access to the factory ecu and it's various sensors can have additional advantages, but the vast majority of the functions is similar between the two options. Again, I don't have anything negative to say about the flash, I have yet to hear anything but praise about it. The PCV is very common in the majority of tuning circles because of it's tuning ability and popularity allow for a very personalized tune to the specific bike, its specific modifications and its geographical conditions (elevation/humidity). Just depends on what you're after when tuning your bike, I personally like our choices.

Archived