The MT-07 Forum

Lightweight Rider Question

steve45058

steve45058

At 5'5 and 135lbs, I am a fairly light rider.  I haven't been on the freeway yet, but I have taken it on local streets at about 55-60mph and at times I feel like I am going to blow off lol.  When you guys ride at freeways speeds, do you all just lean in?  

Yup. Previous owner put on a short wind screen that may be helping a little. My HJC helmet gets twisted if I look to the side over 65 MPH.

5'6" 115lb (add another 7 lbs when I'm geared up).

I honestly don't think your weight factors in with highway speeds and the feeling of it trying to blow you off, I remember reading 200 pounders feeling the same way. Man... just wait until you feel what it feels like at 80mph... its even worse.

Personally, I no longer tuck in. I learned my lesson when tucking in for an hour on the freeway. It hurts your lower back. The problem is there is no chest resting area due to how low the tank sits, so you are using your back muscles the entire time you tuck in. I instead just take in the upper chest/helmet wind blasting.

I did recently get a smaller windscreen and it helped a ton. A bigger windscreen will help even more. If you are going to FREQUENTLY go on the freeway, bite the bullet and just get a windscreen, any windscreen (well, except maybe don't buy the rizoma's I honestly don't think that will help at all), get a decent, fairly wide windscreen. I'd say the very minimal size one should be the ermax sport windscreen. The wind blasting will be directed to just your helmet.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

Tucking in is fine and all, but it severely reduces your visual profile. So keep that in mind.

It's really not that bad, just experiment with body positioning. If you struggle, keep at it and eventually you'll perservere and find a level of comfort you feel is acceptable. It will however, never be as laid back as a fully faired bike, or cruiser with a windshield.

Everything went braap.

booboobusfz07

It's a naked bike. No matter what the wind will always be there, but you can make it more manageable.
Grip with your knees.
And I agree with everyone about the windscreen. After I got my fabbri touring the wind got a lot smoother.

twowheeladdict

grip with your legs. You will build up muscles you didn't even know you had. Great for the core as well.

2015 FZ-07

Windscreen and aerodynamic helmet will help a lot. If you get a short windscreen, it will route the wind higher up, likely to your helmet (although it may go over your head at your height, depends how long your torso is). I'm 5'8", have a short Givi windscreen on and it moved the wind off my chest and shoulders up to my neck and helmet. My helmet cuts through the wind very well and fits snugly, so this doesn't bother me, at all. (I also ride with earplugs.) I only get the "hold on for dear life" feeling at 75-80 mph now, and then I do lean in!

...Grip with your knees... 
This, this, and more of this! :) Some people don't do this. My best friend doesn't. Kills me. I didn't when I started riding, but as my legs got stronger, I grip all the time (well, most of the time;) ). You will feel so secure and in place, you will also feel more control and "oneness" with the bike.

Guest 2wheeler

Maybe I'm imprevious to wind as I'm another 5'6" person but I'm not feeling a need for a windscreen. I have about 2K on my bike where a good chunk of it is on the interstates around DC which means lots of 70-75 MPH riding. Unless there is a srong headwind, I'm good at 75. Now I have had it doing 90 a couple of times, and that is a totally different matter altogether. When I start doing trips this summer that will likely change and I'll get something, but for my normal 50-200 mile days, I'm good.

I have been blaming that ramp area above the headlight as acting as a small wind dam that does wonders for minimizing the wind hit.

Guest ChicagoAJ

I was a little apprehensive to get a naked after coming from 2 faired sport bikes but I don't even notice the wind and I'm pretty big, 6'1" about 185 pounds, maybe 195 with gear. Even at 90+ for extended periods, I'm not getting a screen.

On longer rides I usually lean in with my left elbow across the tank and cruise like that. 

steve45058

Thanks for the replies guys. I think all in all I just need to get used to it first and if it continues to bother me I will get a windscreen :)

twowheeladdict

I will say that I did get the sport screen with the bike. I only did it to hide all the ugly wires and have a place to put my Zumo 660 GPS.

2015 FZ-07

When I ride at freeway speeds I like how I can hold onto the bike with my throttle hand and parasail!  :D I kid.
Any time I get blown around I naturally hunker down to make myself smaller and catch less wind, grip the tank with my knees to remain stable, arms a little stiffer on the bars, tighter grip and head down a bit more. One more thing, a windscreen alone isn't going to help with cross winds. I know, I have a windscreen so don't get a windscreen and too relaxed when it's windy out or you might have an accident. You should want the skills anyway if you want to become a better rider. Good luck, be safe!
Here ya go!

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/street-savvy-riding-wind

Beemer

• Premium Member

(that includes things like guts and bones, smart guy) -- 170 with 0% bodyfat, which is impossible

Guest ChicagoAJ
(that includes things like guts and bones, smart guy) -- 170 with 0% bodyfat, which is impossible
I believe there's a handful of people with a disease that give them 0% body fat. Rare, but not impossible! 
 728050-O.jpg

They look like this. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will tuck sometimes when on the freeway, have the small factory windscreen and don't see too much of a help. I mostly noticed that a better helmet helped with the head buffiting. Where the wind is coming from (semi's, headwind/crosswind) effects me alot. I noticed that the front of the bike can seem to get lighter when I'm more upright above 85. As for weight I am near 205 with gear.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

I'm 6 & 150 and first time I hit the highway at 100+ mph I felt I was either going to do a superman while driving or take off to the moon. So I got a Givi windshield and problem was solved. There will always be wind hitting you but after the Givi when it I dont feel Bruce Lee kicking me in the chest any more!

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

Archived