The MT-07 Forum

Twisted throttle cruise Control

fzak007

Sup everyone, I decided to do a short review on Twisted throttle cruise control or some call it throttle lock.

Run down: I commute 40 miles one way, 90% highway mostly a striaght line. So it's pretty easy going. Sometimes I would need to tighten my straps up on my rucksack, and it's a little struggle reaching across and around to try and catch the straps flying in the wind.
Or get my hand warm on cold rides. Whatever the case, I felt I needed a bit more freedom with my right hand.

Looking around for about a week, I desided to go and spend the money on TT cruise control. $136 big ones...
The quality of it is great. Looks stock, not bulky, doesn't get in the way, nice heavy end weight. I can adjust it where the engine breaking isn't so bad, just make sure you completely roll off when you stop.
So some PROs to it, less then 5 minutes to install, Great quality, Looks good, Twist easy (depending on how tight you have it) compact.

Down side: it vibrates loose if you don't have it tight enough, it's a bit difficult to release if you do have it really tight and unsafe due to letting go of the throttle and it releasing it. Maybe I need to some fine adjustments on it to get it right.

Overall if your a commuter like my self, I'd say it's worth the money. Or even if you go on long trips.

758E6D67-9964-457A-BF63-F868DE8C6F91_zpsngticu3s.jpg

732F39A7-5ECC-4508-876C-93B9E9E2AFB5_zpsjwgz9uga.jpg

7033359D-AE6F-4A6F-92E0-D76E21DD177D_zpsholype7u.jpg

twowheeladdict

IMO, a Throttle lock is so far away from Cruise control that I don't know why people want to call it that. The only time a throttle lock approaches being a cruise control is if you live where there are no hills or wind.

For another $100, you could have bought an electronic cruise control and experienced real cruise control.

http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=369

Both of my touring bikes have electronic cruise control from the factory. It is so nice to not have to constantly look down at the speedo to make sure you are maintaining speed.

2015 FZ-07

I didn't want add anything that was to big. That looks like a nice set up, but I wanted something that was simple to use and install/ or uninstall if needed.

AlbatrossCafe
I didn't want add anything that was to big. That looks like a nice set up, but I wanted something that was simple to use and install/ or uninstall if needed.
Agreed... I would much rather have something that you have for commuting than something a lot bulkier that requires a decent amount of electrical work. 

Another option for people, it just requires the flick of your thumb. Search Vista Cruise throttle lock. It worked for me for years on my last bike, it seems pretty universal but I'm not sure if it would work for the FZ07

MVC-009S.JPG

Another option for people, it just requires the flick of your thumb. Search Vista Cruise throttle lock. It worked for me for years on my last bike, it seems pretty universal but I'm not sure if it would work for the FZ07 
MVC-009S.JPG

first time I've seen this, looks like a nice lock and not to much in the way. How far does it stick out??

so I did some for fine Adjusting on it yesterday, took for a ride, and adjusted again. This morning seems a lot better at holding without over tight-ing the lock. Plus side also, im staying in my "Eco" mode and getting better MPGs due to not playing with the throttle so much. It does require some DISLPINE not to roll on the throttle, haha.

twowheeladdict

Just suggesting. I personally have issues with companies marketing items as something more than they really are.

If they marketed that as a throttle lock for $135 they probably wouldn't get as many sales. The throttle locks we had in the 80s were around $5.

2015 FZ-07

Just suggesting. I personally have issues with companies marketing items as something more than they really are.

If they marketed that as a throttle lock for $135 they probably wouldn't get as many sales. The throttle locks we had in the 80s were around $5.
Your right, and I only believe that its that expensive is because the FZ is so popular. Im sure you can easily make one for much much less money.  

all it is, is a gear style nut, a spacer and a treaded end weight where you and spin to press against the spacer, and spacer to the throttle.

I installed this on my bike last month. It takes some finessing to get it in the right spot to lock and not slip a few mph up or down. I find if I yell at it a little bit that helps, too. lol For $136, it could work a little smoother. It's certainly possible I'm doing it wrong, but the instructions are not very detailed. How tight am I suppose to adjust that tiny hex bolt, exactly? No idea.

Correct, it's not a cruise control because it doesn't adjust for speed; it simply locks the throttle in place regardless of how fast your wheels are spinning. So, going up hills, you'll slow down; and going down hills, you'll speed up. It does, however, allow me to give my right hand a break sometimes, and that's why I got it. I have tennis elbow and carpal tunnel and on any ride over an hour--especially after working all week (desk jockey)--my right hand will be in agony.

Also, just FYI, the brand is KAOKO. Twisted Throttle (.com) is just the website that sells it. Personally, I went with the KAOKO over the other throttle lock (Throttlemeister, Go Cruise) options because it was simple to install (even I could do it!), and it blends in well with the bike.

Regarding making your own... there is a guy on the FZ-07 Facebook group that machined his own throttle lock (link won't work unless you're a member of the FB group). It looks even better than the KAOKO lock (not sure about functionality), but he said he isn't set up to make them for other people.

Archived