The MT-07 Forum

M4 loudness?

azfz07

So I'm looking for a new exhaust and the M4 has my attention. I've heard it's insanely loud with the the baffle out. However, I'm more wondering how loud it is with the baffle in compared to the stock exhaust. Anyone with the M4 and baffle in please chime in. Thanks for the help!

-Ryan

Ask @motomeek she has one.  I like them too and my son got a GP version for his R6.  Wish they had that one for the FZ.  His was only $210!

So I'm looking for a new exhaust and the M4 has my attention. I've heard it's insanely loud with the the baffle out. However, I'm more wondering how loud it is with the baffle in compared to the stock exhaust. Anyone with the M4 and baffle in please chime in. Thanks for the help!  
-Ryan

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Ask @motomeek she has one.  I like them too and my son got a GP version for his R6.  Wish they had that one for the FZ.  His was only $210! 

-Ryan
No M4 here... Yoshi, my friend.  8-)
  • Like 2

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I know there is an additional quiet insert you can buy that is supposed to make it even more quiet. I think it's called a Q4 insert. Not sure if anyone on here has it but I would love to know how quiet it is with this insert. I think the M4 seems pretty loud with the baffle in.

Oh nuts, that's right!  You got the protoype, now I remember .. my bad!  

No M4 here... Yoshi, my friend.  8-)

i have the M4 installed on mine and i will tell you that even with the baffle in it is very loud, i mean i love it but on longer rides my ears begin to bother me a bit. im going to pick up the quiet insert and see how i like that. 

• Premium Member

I think this should also be preface with how everyone's definition of "loud" is going to be different.

Oh, and ear plugs.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I've had the M4 for almost 8 months at first my ears would always be ringing after I stop riding because of how loud it is but I just got used to it.

• 2 weeks later...
mcgoogles56

Love the m4, put mine on a few weeks ago, as others have said it did make my ears ring a little after a while. Gotten used to it. Haven't taken it on any highway trips so I don't know how bad it is long distances. But I enjoy loud things, my car is the same way.

Although my exposure is limited, I would say the M4 is about twice as loud as the stock exhaust (Perceived sound level anyway). That said, it does have a great tone.

Just sent you a PM by the way.

dentalprodigy

OP, found this video on youtube. It does a pretty good job of comparing the baffle in vs out sounds. I bought the bike used with M4. It came without the baffle installed and it sounds glorious. I have no desire to put it in even though I have it somewhere in the attic. The bike is gonna be LOUD even with the baffle in (from the youtube videos I've seen).

edit; forgot to link video

I've had the M4 exhaust on mine for a few months now, and a few weeks ago I took the baffle out for the first time just to spice things up a bit. It is quite a bit louder without the baffle, but of course it would be, but the tone is so much better IMO without it. Did a ~2 hour (round trip) ride over the weekend shortly after taking the baffle out, didn't bother me one bit, no different than with the baffle in, but it sounded better :)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
enginedriver

@demasi21 I have the M4 slip on with baffle in, but I still think it is a bit too loud and not compliant with the new exhaust regulation in California. Trying to see if I can get a cheaper insert which would substantially reduce the sound to less than 95 dB. I don't want to buy the $50+ insert -- seems a bit too expensive.