The MT-07 Forum

Phoenix: Solder for a Six-pack?

phicurious86

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Any of you Phoenix people confident in your soldering ability? I need to splice a couples wires for an addition to my turn signals. Six-pack with your name on it to splice a couple turn signal wires. I'll drive to you. Send me a pm if you're game.

Soldering is no big deal and I'm happy to do it for you if you'll take an extra sixpack of Fat Tire off my hands, but are you sure that's what you want? Folks who know more than I do say crimped connections are the way to go when there will be vibration because a soldered joint is always brittle. That's why my ToDo list includes Fry's Electronics for bullet connectors *I* need to connect a couple of fine wires this week.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Hey Tim. How close are you central Phoenix? Jeckler already made a kind offer to help me, but if you're closer...

I'm thinking a solder splice is what I almost have to do in this case. I got this fancy setup with LEDs in my passenger pegs that act as turn signals, and those are plugged into the rear electrical harness via bullet connectors, but I want to add some small bright LEDs to my license plate too, for added visibility. To make that work it looks like I have to tap into the either the harness, but those connectors are already being used by the LEDs from the pegs, or the wires coming off the pegs. Figured solder off the peg wires was the better route. I'd wrap the solder joint with electrical tape and/or some silicone to help protect from vibration damage.

• Premium Member

Soldering is easy and kinda fun. You can buy a kit for around $10. Its a little hard to mess it up and you can practice on some trash wires laying around. Give it a try it's easier than you think. Just use shrink wrap over the solder.

^ It's all true. I took a class in soldering years ago, it was fun and I felt like I could solder anything it's so easy to do. Get a kit, watch a you tube video and give it a try, you'll be glad you did.

[video src=https://youtu.be/BLfXXRfRIzY]

Beemer

• Global Moderator

if you arent looking to learn to solder, miles... i'll do it for ya
Or teach ya how

I work out at 101w & bell and live in surprise 303/cactus

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Phi, I have to travel (again) to Austin tomorrow morning, so take one of these guys up on their offer.

- Andy

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Phi, I have to travel (again) to Austin tomorrow morning, so take one of these guys up on their offer.
Ok. Thanks anyway Jeckler. Have a a safe trip!

• Premium Member
phicurious86
if you arent looking to learn to solder, miles... i'll do it for ya Or teach ya how

I work out at 101w & bell and live in surprise 303/cactus

Sounds good Sork. Whichever location you prefer, about equidistant from where I live.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Just want to give props to Sork. He did an awesome job with what ended up being a slightly more complicated project.

• Global Moderator
Just want to give props to Sork. He did an awesome job with what ended up being a slightly more complicated project.
How was it more complicated???
it was just 3wires and my scatter-brained organization

• Premium Member
phicurious86
How was it more complicated??? it was just 3wires and my scatter-brained organization
Well I made it sound like it was just going to be a 2 wire job, plus you had to shorten the length of peg wires significantly, which necessitated the 3 wire job.  That's 1.5x the wires man!

• Premium Member
How was it more complicated??? it was just 3wires and my scatter-brained organization
Well I made it sound like it was just going to be a 2 wire job, plus you had to shorten the length of peg wires significantly, which necessitated the 3 wire job.  That's 1.5x the wires man!
So did you give him 9 beers then?

• Premium Member
phicurious86
So did you give him 9 beers then?
Let's not get crazy. It wasn't *that* much more difficult. ;)

• Global Moderator

It was a 12 packs worth of corona light work
so around $5ish dollars
you vastly overpaid me miles

Archived