The MT-07 Forum

What octane?

plitz

My Owner's Manual says 86 or higher. Up to E10. Any higher octane than necessary is usually a waste of money and potentially degrades performance. Unless you've messed with compression by letting carbon build up (I ALWAYS use Top Tier). One ping and it's time for premium gas.

Even with my ecu flash I've been running 91 since day one of owning the bike

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Global Moderator

90 octane ethanol free. I hate ethanol.

Only one gas station in all of NJ without ethanol !!

90 octane ethanol free. I hate ethanol.

pineappleunderthesea

I was running 87 before the ECU flash, but now running 93 with the flash.

• Premium Member

It's really not going to make a difference once you are above 91 on our bike. This is a topic that can cause heated debate, but higher octane does not mean better performance. Higher octane actually inhibits pre-combustion in higher compression engines. The FZ is 11.5:1 so fairly high. You have the internet, so use google and check it out. The FZ-07 is happy (depending on the altitude), with 87-91. I usually use 91. I'm at 4600' ASL, lower altitudes requires higher octane, but I'm sure 87 would work fine for me, I just spring for the 91 cause the extra $1 per fill-up doesn't bother me, and it is at every gas station..

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
93 from day one
I don't think there is a gas station within 50 miles of me that even carries 93 (I think it's the altitude). 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Either 91 or 94.  Still looking for any differences.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Well, that's funny to see the octane difference compared to here in France...

Here, only 95-E10 and 98... You find both at any gas station. But the prices have nothing similar to what you have in the US either!

And yeah, there's no way I'll put ethanol in my bike so... 98 all the time!!!

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

My engine doesn't ping using 87 but I did discover something I hadn't heard about until now. If I can find a gas station that has it I'm switching to ethanol free gasoline. Ethanol in gasoline is total bs. I did find two marinas in the area that have it, it seems our govt. is pushing this crap on us and the environment. No wonder so many people have breathing problems these days!

http://www.calgasoline.com/facttopten.htm

Beemer

• Global Moderator
My engine doesn't ping using 87 but I did discover something I hadn't heard about until now. If I can find a gas station that has it I'm switching to ethanol free gasoline. Ethanol in gasoline is total bs. I did find two marinas in the area that have it, it seems our govt. is pushing this crap on us and the environment. No wonder so many people have breathing problems these days! 

This might help you  ;)

@dirk , here's a nice read about octane rating in North America vs Europe: 
http://fz07.org/post/4244/thread
WOW! Thanks, this is super interesting! 
So, to translate what I was saying in "US Octane":

In France, we only find:

- 95-E10 which is 91 US Octane with up to 10% ethanol.

- 98 which is 93 US Octane, ethanol free.

- Both are available at every gas station. I only put 98 in the FZ. It is a bit more expensive, I pay around 1.30 euros per liter this days (that would make 5.63 $ per gallon).

How much do you guys pay for the same kind of gas?
Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

This might help you  ;)
Thanks for that but I already used a similar 'finder' and still, the closest location is at the marina but since it's not a regular gas station (for boats) I'm not sure if they'll sell it to me. I guess I'll have to saddle up and see. It does show a Wawa store in the next town over as having it but that's like around 7 miles away. Not exactly convenient either but not much further away than the marina. This means I'll have to go way out of my way, almost every day, for the gas I want. This is BS, I'm starting a million motorcycle march on Washington!  >:D   
http://www.alternativeenergyprimer.com/ethanol-as-fuel.html

Beemer

• Global Moderator
So, to translate what I was saying in "US Octane":

In France, we only find:

- 95-E10 which is 91 US Octane with up to 10% ethanol.

- 98 which is 93 US Octane, ethanol free.

- Both are available at every gas station. I only put 98 in the FZ. It is a bit more expensive, I pay around 1.30 euros per liter this days (that would make 5.63 $ per gallon).

How much do you guys pay for the same kind of gas?
I'm in Canada so we do metric like the rest of the world (except for US, Liberia and Myanmar lol-044.gif )

It is quite difficult to get ethanol free high octane gas in my area, Shell V Power is the best I can find here. That's about $1.10 a liter, which is about 0.77 Euro

bmwpowere36m3
http://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html 
Looks like our California overlords want us all to have ethanol in our gas. Not much of a choice.

Same here in CT... but other than a slight reduction in MPG, I've never has issues with E10 fuel. Ethanol is a cheap octane booster and oxygenate. There were subsidies for growers, not sure if there still are. Ethanol was pushed by EPA to reduce emissions, gasoline usage and foreign dependence. At least theoretically...

Same here in CT... but other than a slight reduction in MPG, I've never has issues with E10 fuel. Ethanol is a cheap octane booster and oxygenate. There were subsidies for growers, not sure if there still are. Ethanol was pushed by EPA to reduce emissions, gasoline usage and foreign dependence. At least theoretically...
.. and instead we got stuff that eats plastics in older fuel systems and attracts water to corrode even new ones... 

Archived