The MT-07 Forum

Front wheel removal

hillrider

Time for a new front tire.  I can hold the bike vertical with a rear wheel stand, but how to elevate the front of the bike.   I can strap the handlebars to the ceiling with a come-a-long or put a small rolling jack under the oil pan.  
But I thought I'd ask for some more ideas.  Right now I leaning toward strap the handlebars to the ceiling.  Thanks - 

Chuck

Are you willing to spend money or do you just want ideas so that you can avoid spending?

Beemer

I just pull it over on the side stand and put a brick with apiece of wood on it under the header. works good enough for me and it was free.

hillrider

Was trying to avoid getting another special purpose tool. Shop has enough 'tools' already.

In days gone by, I've hoisted bikes completely off the floor with ratchet straps from ceiling joists. It'll work. Think I would also put a scissors jack under the motor (block of wood between to soften the pad) as a stabilizer.

Think i would also use a tow strap under the stem instead of lifting by the bars.

If you do it this way, loosen the axle, clamp and caliper bolts while the wheel is on the ground. Then do all of the torquing with the new tire also back on the ground.

This is where center stands really shine. With the stand sorta midships, it doesn't take much of a lift to hoist the front up. With a rear stand, way more weight will be on the front.

Of course, a nice front stand is an investment you'll never regret or even remember paying for 10 years from now. The money I've saved for myself and for friends mounting our own tires, have payed for those stands and tools countless times over. .

hillrider

Ended up going with a stand under the rear axle and a rolling jack with a 2x2 under the front of the oil pan. Thanks for the ideas.

Archived