The MT-07 Forum

How I mounted my Nelson-Rigg tail bag

michaelcly

• Premium Member

The problem: The seat, being rounded, extends into the storage area using up a lot of space.

My solution: I removed the passenger seat and mounted the bag directly over the trunk area. It's lower, gives me all the space and looks much better to me.  I don't use the passenger seat at all, but I can always put it back on the seat if I want. 

The perfect solution: I wish someone made a small hard-shelled trunk that mounted just like the seat...Clip on the trunk or clip on the seat. Kind of like the old Honda CX Silverwing.

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

yeah i had the same issue. hasn't affected me since i dont put much in yet. but when i go on my trip i think I'm going to do what you did. or find a hard plate/sheet to put underneath

That's a great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I have found with my Nelson rigg bag on top of the rear seat that the seat kinda takes up room when the bag is strapped down. Do you have some pics of the way u used the straps.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

How much is this bag compared to a Kriega?

SigSide.jpg

booboobusfz07

I believe sw motech makes a mounting plate to replace the seat with. You can mount bags and I think cases as well to it.

sw motech seat rack

I do not use the seat('cept for cycle guys tail bag) and would prefer some storage that mounts into the rear seat as well, I dont like the looks of the sw motech seat rack, plus would have to buy storage to mount to the seat rack which at that point what is the point? And really dont think I could live with that front lip up against my butt.

• Premium Member
That's a great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I have found with my Nelson rigg bag on top of the rear seat that the seat kinda takes up room when the bag is strapped down. Do you have some pics of the way u used the straps.
I'll take some tonight. Basically the back strap goes through the fender eliminator bracket. The front strap was more of a problem in that the strap wants to slide back. So I used a couple hex bolts from the old taillight assembly. I'll show you later.

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

• Premium Member
How much is this bag compared to a Kriega?
I'm not sure on the Kriega but here's what I got: http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-CL-1060-S-Black-Sport-Tail/dp/B00RGQ1OJW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

That's a pretty good idea. I have the Nelson also and have just lived with the fact that I have a little less storage. It has enough when expanded for what I bring to work so it really hasn't been a problem but I will have to keep that in mind for when I need it.

Is that the sport model??

• Premium Member

Yes Sport model

I used a wide head hex screw and a bushing in two holes under the fender. They keep the strap from sliding back. I confiscated them from my extended fender mount.

Edit: Photo rotated when I posted it

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
michaelcly
Update:

I got inspired by Deosan http://fz07.org/thread/5865/givi-top-box and remounted my Nelson Rigg tail bag. I had an extra back seat after getting a Yamaha Comfy Seat. What I did was mount the bag to the seat frame for easy on - easy off.

Removed the staples on the front end of the seat.
pulled out the padding so it wouldn't take up storage space.
re-stappled the cover skin. An office stapler worked, the plastic is soft.
Mounted the seat frame with 1/4 x 1/2 stainless screws and fiber washers in pre-existing holes
[span]    [/span](3/4" L screws and metal washers would have been better)
To mount:
Strap the bag onto the seat so it's in the best position
Drill with 7/32 bit through the seat bottom existing holes and through bag's bottom
[span]    (press the open end of a cup or a block of wood against on the bottom of the bag so you don't drill through your palm)

[/span]The screws won't press through the seat but they will thread into the holes like it was made for it.

• Premium Member
michaelcly

finished:

• 3 weeks later...

I just did something very similar with my 1060s this past weekend. I purchased a new passenger seat and removed the cover/foam from my old seat. I bought a thin piece of plexiglass and cut it to shape for a more rigid base. I then drilled holes in the plexiglass base to match for existing holes in the seat pan, then used the plexiglass and some bolts/washers to sandwich the bag to the seat pan. I added a layer of soft cabinet liner as well. I did not reinstall the cover on the seat since my bike is white, it looks OK with out the black cover.

Works great and I can swap seats if I don't need the tail bag.

ff9b1b90553d07d4dcd9f9df496e2a38.jpg

d2f0ae79b1757b49b219938a9f61e249.jpg

4841c835c7d26d1570ed18d96595738e.jpg

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

Guest 2wheeler

I think your last revision is brilliant! It's great for extended local riding, and it makes it a lot tougher for a quick thief to get your stuff due to them not being able to quickly cut/unbuckle the straps and run with your bag. When you don't need the bag, put the regular seat back on to have that cool look.

I just got a used pillion seat off of ebay for $30, and am going to do the exact same setup with the Nelson-Rigg.

Funny, I just ordered a Kriega R30 Drybag, but it's purpose is for longer trips, and I was wondering about it being too big for local trips - problem solved!

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
imherefortheride

Bumping an old thread bcuz I'm looking into tail bag options. How's your fabrication holding up @xeon? Any pics of the bag mounted on the bike?

12 hours ago, imherefortheride said:

Bumping an old thread bcuz I'm looking into tail bag options. How's your fabrication holding up @xeon? Any pics of the bag mounted on the bike?

I just completed mounting my Givi top case to my FZ using one of the cheap Chinese rear cowls. I stole the mounting plate from that because I wanted to keep my stock seat. Now I can switch easily between my seat and 40L trunk. 

The case definitely looks big on the Fz but It doesn't impede my riding position and I already had it from my KLR. Also, I will need a lot of room as the bike will be my only method of transport at University this summer. Should hold a good amount of beer and groceries!

Will post pics tomorrow.

@imherefortheride so far so good, I haven't had any issues with this setup. I do swap often as I use this tail bag setup for my joy rides and the normal seat for my work commutes since my backpack tends to sit up on the tail bag and that annoys me when riding.

Xeon

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

Archived