The MT-07 Forum

Phoenix - Monthly ride, May 21 2016

Jeckler

• Premium Member

Saturday, May 21st. Meet at the Shell gas station on the corner of East McDowell Rd and Country Club/Hwy 87. We will be heading up to Payson via Hwy 87.
Meet at 7:30AM, KSU at 8, with breakfast at Ms Fitz 260 cafe. Approximately 72 miles.

The weather forecast for the valley that day is 93/62. For Payson, 73/48. Pack or wear suitable clothing for both environments.

There is supposed to be a car/bike show at the Home Depot in Payson. Benefits the Johnny O Alzheimer, Dementia and TBI Awareness Foundation.

Optional: After breakfast, continue on to Camp Verde, another 60 miles via Hwy 260. Return trip will be in reverse with a stop in Payson again for lunch/ice cream at DQ.

- Andy

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx

The 14th may work for me. The 22nd I will not be in town.

- xCarbonSteelx

• Global Moderator

My bike is still down but i did finally get my insurance company to pay up.

still awaiting that check and a sweet influx of new parts

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

We'll see the turnaround time on my ECU - it just went out to WA today. Just about anywhere will be hot for much of the ride. Maybe up the Beeline?  I figured fuel stabilizer until around October...

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I could do the 21st or 22nd, although I generally don't go on long rides once temps start creeping over the triple digits. If I take a long trip in the summer months I tend to go north.

I'll settle for a visit to the Dairy Queen up there. I've rarely passed through without a stop. Nothing special, but always just the right distance from home.

The Rotary Club full-day trip is to go through Strawberry over to Prescott, then over the Yarnell hill to home. Long event.

For Payson and back, coming home the East Valley riders should hang a left at the Bush Highway and come over Usery Pass to Ellsworth.

Thanks for the invite, but still not riding. Blasted car needs head gasket replaced and that's going to cut into funds a fair bit.

autoentropy

Ride this weekend if anybody is interested!

Saturday, May 7, 2016
8:30 AM

QT
1861 S Mesa Dr, Mesa, AZ (map)

This is a ride to Mammoth for an early lunch.

If anyone wants to start further east we can pull off of 60 at Florence junction and grab them. Fuel and lunch will be in Mammoth at La Casita (100 miles).

This ride has a little of everything, some mountains, some twisty. Most of it is relatively easy riding and should be OK for any level of riding skill. Most of you know, rides I lead are at a somewhat relaxed pace (usually the speed limit).

On the way back we are going to stop at the "Tom Mix" memorial for a group photo. Its about 160 miles into the route. Tom Mix was the most famous silent era cowboy. He met his end in 1940 on Hwy 79, South of Florence. No one told him the bridge was out.

If your bike requires premium fuel we have had some trouble finding it at the gas stops. You may want to consider taking a small bottle of additive that increases the octane.

KSU 9:00 AM

• Premium Member

@autoentropy, I'm up for this one.

There are only 4 votes for our ride, 2 ea for the 21st and 22nd. Anyone else want to chime in? Payson sounds good to me. We could also take 260 over to Camp Verde/I17 and come back that way, or run it clockwise instead and come back via 87.
Something like this...
https://goo.gl/maps/eusrrVsZFtP2

- Andy

• Premium Member

Met up with @timjh this morning for the PMRG ride. Here's a few pics...
IMG_0462_zpsyvwlq30g.jpg
Santa Claus there was our ride leader. You can see Tim's bike too.. and that's Tim standing behind the guy on the right. :)
IMG_0461_zpsaj7rww5t.jpg
The only bikes that mattered, of course...
IMG_0465_zpsh8vliv5i.jpg
IMG_0466_zpsghmt01l3.jpg

- Andy

Good to meet you Andy. Your pictures turned out much better than mine. I've ordered a new pair of Vagabond sliders rather than just one replacement - I figure the way one sacrificed itself to save the bike (found some gravel turning uphill into the parking lot in Mammoth for those of you not there..) it's just a matter of time before I need another. Bike's definitely not as pretty as it was this morning, but still fun.

I can't commit to the 21st or 22nd until I know the race car is ready for the next weekend, but things look pretty good so far.

• Premium Member

Thanks Tim. And I'm no photographer. Sucks about your spill. At least you weren't the only one. I got some practice picking up Anne's at the gas station. :)
Adding @azfz07 to this thread.

Dumbass me didn't put two and two together and realize that it's going start getting hot. Thanks phi. So, can we nail down the route I posted above? We can run it either way. Get the straight, boring crap out of the way, or relax on the way back, depending on your perspective. Is 6AM too early for a meetup? That way we can still get back to the valley before it turns into hell. We can do breakfast in Payson; Ms Fitz 260 Cafe or the Airport maybe? Anyone know of good places to eat in Camp Verde if we run clockwise? It might be a little early for DQ. :)
Input please.

- Andy

What's wrong with up and back Payson? The Beeline is so divided that it's like a different road each direction and we can skip I-17 entirely. The jaunt through Strawberry is nice but can get crowded.

Early morning makes sense.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Early works for me, though I'll probably arrive closer to 7am since I'm coming from central PHX. Payson ride would be fine. For those who wanted to ride a bit longer, just shoot up to Camp Verde and then take the same route in reverse or take the 17 for q quicker return.

Thanks for the invite...definitely would like to join in sometime. I'm actually North of Tuscon a bit so not quite as far from the Valley of the Sun as others here in SE AZ. Normal summer temps don't bother me as long as I'm moving. I would really like to ride any part of the White Mountains...I've only been to Show Low so far

"Look into it later when the dust is clearing off the crater" - Iggy Pop

Early works for me, though I'll probably arrive closer to 7am since I'm coming from central PHX. 
I figure the meetup would be at the Shell station at the start of the Beeline (McDowell and sorta Country Club) so it would be a short hop on the 202 for you.  Folks from further north could catch us at Fountain Hills.  Better ideas welcome... 
As I said before, I would take the Bush Highway +/- Usery Pass and Ellsworth pass coming home.

• Premium Member

The reason I suggested a loop is so that people on the north/west side wouldn't have to drive all the way back across the valley to get home. Though at this point, it doesn't sound like anyone from the west side is coming. I'll edit the first post with details.

- Andy

It looks like I'm good for Saturday or Sunday and the weather's fine either way.

Andy, give us a time, a day, and a place to meet and you can lead us on what you think is the best route.

• Premium Member

Saturday, May 21st. Meet at the Shell gas station on the corner of East McDowell Rd and Country Club/Hwy 87. We will be heading up to Payson via Hwy 87.
Meet at 7:30AM, KSU at 8, with breakfast at Ms Fitz 260 cafe. Approximately 72 miles.

The weather forecast for the valley that day is 93/62. For Payson, 73/48. Pack or wear suitable clothing for both environments.

There is supposed to be a car/bike show at the Home Depot in Payson. Benefits the Johnny O Alzheimer, Dementia and TBI Awareness Foundation.

Optional: After breakfast, continue on to Camp Verde, another 60 miles via Hwy 260. Return trip will be in reverse with a stop in Payson again for lunch/ice cream at DQ.

- Andy

I've driven by Miss Fitz many times but never stopped. After reading the reviews I'm now drooling.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Probably won't make this. I went on a ride last weekend and the GF has hinted that we should spend this Saturday doing relationship stuff =P

• 2 months later...
  • Global Moderator

we gonna get another ride together soon?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived