The MT-07 Forum

How my riding season got ended!!

e30kawi

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had this rod removed today and a new one put in, as well as a bone graft done to make sure it heals. The new one is 20% thicker at 12mm. I am not entirely sure of the length at the moment, but will get a measurement when I get home. Just being kept over night for pain management purposes. Ride safe out there!

old_rod.jpg

• Global Moderator
We can rebuild him...

We have the technology....

But the lawyers are already knocking at the door

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

We can rebuild him...
We have the technology....

But the lawyers are already knocking at the door

I know that's right.

glad you're alright man! those fractures can be dangerous. Bone fragment can nick your artery and you're gone before you realize it. super lucky, even if the recovery is gonna be long.

if you still have your gear can we see it and how it held up during the crash. of course when you feel better.
im 53 years old and i dont think i can heal up well anymore like when i was young, i mainly ride on country roads where its quiet.
best of luck and rest up friend

if you still have your gear can we see it and how it held up during the crash. of course when you feel better. im 53 years old and i dont think i can heal up well anymore like when i was young, i mainly ride on country roads where its quiet.
best of luck and rest up friend

Yes I still have my gear. It all held up fine I think, aside from it getting cut off. I know my gloves and boots were saved and usable. Pants and jacket were cut off. Helmet got jacked up. I can post some pictures when I get home.

I've been home for a couple days. Leg seems to be doing what it is supposed to do. The doctor had to make the incisions bigger, but I am hoping that they will heal up to be almost invisible. My wife put a couple of her emoji's on there. Looks nasty in the photos, and the leg has swelled up a bit since the photo's were taken.
IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

Screenshot_2016_08_31_20_45_54.png

Screenshot_2016_08_31_20_46_06.png

I'm sure the doctors said there would be a bit of swelling but let's hope it goes down quick. Get well soon and ride that horsey again!

Beemer

I'm sure the doctors said there would be a bit of swelling but let's hope it goes down quick. Get well soon and ride that horsey again!
There has been a bit of swelling, but as of today it is starting to ease back and go down. Getting more range of motion in the leg. Every little thing is getting easier with less pain and less pills.  The pain pills didn't seem to do much of anything other than make me sleepy. Helping me sleep is the best part of it.   

But as far as pain relief, I think I am one of the odd ones that doesn't get knocked on their ass by them.  Taking two hydrocodone (generic norco), a big aspirin, and a methocarbamol (Robaxin, which I had heard was to be just awesome) several times through out the day.  Despite taking them like I am supposed to, I don't go to lala land or anything, I usually just get sleepy for about 30 minutes and my leg will stop twitching so much.

Guest ChicagoAJ
There has been a bit of swelling, but as of today it is starting to ease back and go down. Getting more range of motion in the leg. Every little thing is getting easier with less pain and less pills.  The pain pills didn't seem to do much of anything other than make me sleepy. Helping me sleep is the best part of it.   

But as far as pain relief, I think I am one of the odd ones that doesn't get knocked on their ass by them.  Taking two hydrocodone (generic norco), a big aspirin, and a methocarbamol (Robaxin, which I had heard was to be just awesome) several times through out the day.  Despite taking them like I am supposed to, I don't go to lala land or anything, I usually just get sleepy for about 30 minutes and my leg will stop twitching so much.
Ask for some 30mg slow release Morphine pills then chomp down on one, you'll be in lala land for about 2 days, haha. I was given 60 of those for some really bad chronic back pain a while back, they ran my insurance $1700 for them. Luckily I only had to pay $10 out of pocket. I got some cortisone shots a few days later and didn't need those pills anymore. Definitely experimented with a few of them though. Potent little things. Everyone metabolizes opiates differently, some people can't even take one hydrocodone without some crazy hallucinations.  
Glad you're getting more range of motion though, hopefully you'll recover somewhat quicker than you were previously. 

I seem to be on the right path as far as healing up goes. I don't care about the pain pills enough to ask for different ones.

I know the injury is not the same as the surgery, but just 6 days in, the pain and swelling is where I was after about 2.5 months.

Hey mate sorry to hear your story!

I broke my femur like you and had a fracture in the bottom of the femur and fractured the top of my knee cap after a riding accident 3 weeks ago.

I have a rod the same right through my femur now and am also in a leg brace that just provides stability to my leg due to the knee cap fracture i think as it is what is causing most of my discomfort.

I was going round a right hand bend and started to tip in but felt was going too fast so stood it up and braked hard to wipe off speed then re-commenced the turn but ran a little wide and my friend following said i hit some debris on the road and my rear tyre slid out and i went more straight than turn and rode into the cut away section of rock on a mountain road (where the road is cut into the hill)

the bike is being repaired.

I am stuck on crutches for ages..
I cant put any weight on my leg until the knee cap heals at least so that is 6 weeks minimum...

Thankfully I am able to claim sick leave bank at work where everyone contributes some leave to let people have extended time off with injuries like this etc.

Best of luck in your recovery and hope to see you on a bike again in a few months time!!

Sorry to hear about your injuries. Hopefully you heal faster than I do.... 5 months and counting so far.

That is good about the time bank at your work. I almost wish I would have used ours at work, but I've only missed I think 3 weeks of work... So far, plus a few hours every week for rehab and follow ups.

I'm taking next this week off as well, so four full weeks. But my work has been great about all of this. Letting me work from home and at a reduced capacity. For three first few weeks after my accident.

that is good of them to let you work from home.

Once I get a bit more mobile I will go back on light/reduced duties.

It seems 6 months is fairly normal for a femur recovery :(

that is good of them to let you work from home. 
Once I get a bit more mobile I will go back on light/reduced duties.

It seems 6 months is fairly normal for a femur recovery :(

Hopefully you won't have to have the rod redone and a bone graft done. I wish we would have done it sooner as it seems like I am healing a lot quicker than the initial injury. But I was and am afraid of surgery and wanted to wait. After this last surgery I don't think I am afraid anymore.

• 1 year later...

Lol a year to the day since my last post on this thread I had my fourth surgery. They took out the second rod and put in two stainless plates. 

Just got the stitches out today. Leg is still swollen but it feels really solid... It should, I've got twelve screws holding it all in.

Y'all  ride safe out there, maybe I'll be out there next summer.

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

• 1 year later...

I guess I'll post I here just cause. So I had a fifth and hopefully second to last surgery for this ordeal.

The plates and screws from my last post were removed on January tenth and a precice nail was installed. So that long scar was opened back up and the femur was cut in two again so the lengthening process can begin.  My left femur ended up being 40mm shorter than the right.

If you don't know what a precice nail is here's a link to a short video that shows what it does. Pretty neat and sure beats having it externally fixated.

• Premium Member

I am just now seeing this thread, and wow what an emotional roller coaster. Man I am sorry you had such a close encounter with such a crappy excuse for a human. I am really glad you made it through though, and you have mad respect from me for working your way back to the bike.

Such a devastating injury would very likely retire me from 2 wheels on the road. If not by my own choice, this is the kinda doomsday scenario that would probably get an intervention from my family. 

16 hours ago, e30kawi said:

If you don't know what a precice nail is here's a link to a short video that shows what it does. Pretty neat and sure beats having it externally fixated.

The human body is amazing. And modern medicine is still barbaric as ever :D

Good luck healing up, man. 

Archived