The MT-07 Forum

How my riding season got ended!!

e30kawi

I read on here the other day about a guy that was almost ended by a vehicle swerving into his lane. Well I had a very similar incident not too long before his. Like his story, mine ends happily, but not quite as uneventful as his, but I am still alive. Happy to report that all of my gear did its job.

I have tried to type this a couple times but I have screwed up a couple times already, once with this computer was my fault then the website reset on me. So I am going to condense this back down as it was long before.

I was going to work not terribly long ago on a road that is notorious for having deer and police on it, so excessive speed is not advised or necessary as the speed limit is 60 mph. Any way I get about 7-8 miles away from work when I see a car flying down a driveway up ahead on the right. The car doesn't look like it is going to stop so I start to slow down. I turn off my high beam, and to my surprise the car does come to a stop at the edge of the highway. Seeing that the car had stopped I started back on the throttle. No sooner that I let off the brakes than the car jumps out into my lane. At that point I am only about 80 to 100 feet away from him. I had enough time to yell "YOU STUPID F**K" and slam on the brakes.Snapchat-7781411548575597199_zpshjai3h8y.jpgSnapchat-3846891042718070233_zpsrli17nur.jpgSnapchat-1534599031705545624_zpsnncbevhm.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not know how fast I was going when I hit the side of the car but it was hard enough that, from what I have been told by a good samaritan that arrives just after the accident that I bounced off the wind shield and flew about 25 to 30 feet from the car. I remember every thing from the accident except for bouncing off the windshield. I remember hitting the car, my legs raking across the handle bars, flying through the air and thinking to myself how bad it was going to hurt. When I slammed down on the ground I felt an crazy pain in my leg, which was a good sign that I wasn't paralyzed and began wiggling my toes. After the initial screams of WTF and OMG I saw head lights coming down the road. I tried to get up but could only feel my femur slapping around in the meat of my leg. By this time the individual in the car hasn't come to check on me so I yelled "GET THE F**K OVER HERE AND HELP ME YOU STUPID FUCK" I do not know if they heard me but came over shortly after.

I asked to be pulled out of the road but they were concerned about my back, but I was able to convey my feelings for not wanting to be run over in the dark and was drug to the shoulder. As soon as I was set down they literally said " Man, my car is f**ked up" to which I responded with " I don't give a f**k about your car, call 911." I find it sad that I had to tell this person to get help coming.

Despite the pain in my leg I was able to converse with them and was able to give the good samaritan my wifes number and he was able to let her know what happened. The first responders got there very fast. They cut off all my gear and at that time I found out that I had a compound fracture in my femur and I guess when I hit the ground it popped out of my knee. They called to have me life flighted. I was at the hospital just over an hour after the initial crash. I spent a few hours in the ER and had an operation on my leg after about 7 hours of being there. I spent 9 days in the hospital and a few more at in-patient rehab and still going to out-patient rehab.

Wear your gear folks. I am glad I decided to buy all new gear last spring after I bought the bike. I normally ride like I am invisible and trust no one, but this was so close to me that it scares me that this person could not see a high beam 100 feet away in the dark of night. Ride safe out there.
927a620b-f6d6-4575-a534-d7a021c05b21_zpsj14nly9i.jpg
IMG_1180_zps5btejlf1.jpg
IMG_1184_zpsxojmmwpn.jpg

• Premium Member

My god, i'm glad your alive after that. Makes me think about always wearing that reflective vest i bought that only gets partially used. I hope you have a speedy recovery

• Global Moderator

Goodluck with your recovery dude

Whats the situation with insurance and all that looking like?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Man, your salvage topic made it seem like it wasn't a big deal, but apparently it was...

How long ago was this, and how goes the recovery?

I cringe when I ride with my girl, she freaking honks at nearly everyone coming out of driveways and I always feel embarrassed but I think she has the right idea.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Man, I'm happy you're alright. Definitely a happy ending, but a battle you shouldn't have had to fight. Stupid cager had the audacity to worry about his car after he could have killed you. I hope for a speedy recovery for you and please eat and sleep well.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Wow. Things could have been much worse. Glad that it wasn't, man.
Best of luck with recovery and staying safe in the future!

Hope you are feeling better. I went down in January and just had surgery last week to get it fixed. (Damn insurance putting it off 3 months sucked.) We both probably have a few months of recovery ahead of us but we are alive and still kicking, some of us with our right legs... and others with our left. Also nice hardware, your rod might be longer but I think mine has more screws.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Fawwwk man. That's some gnarly stuff. Glad you're alive and in good spirits. Hope you're back in the saddle soon.

• Premium Member

I can't believe the shetty nature of human beings. The man, through no fault of your own, severely injured you and couldn't even be pressed to give a damn? Not even in the least.

I'm glad you're okay and it worked out but holy hell, it's nearly enough to send one into a life of hermitage to avoid the dastardly fellow man.

Everything went braap.

Glad your alive and good, always go with your gut you knew before it happened dude in that car was a dick, be safe be well heal up

• Premium Member

Jesus, sad to hear about your situation. But thank you for sharing to help us all be alert and wary. Wish you a quick recovery!

I am a little further along than the pictures suggest. I get around with a walker and that plastic back brace. It'll be another month or two before I can ditch them but I feel like I am healing nicely given the trauma to my leg. My wounds are closed and stitches are out. But for anyone who hasn't done it, watching TV for weeks on end sucks.

Another point I wanted to make but forgot, DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON YOUR OWN INSURANCE! Spend the extra few bucks and make sure you're gonna have enough just in case the other person does not.

• Premium Member

I'm glad you made it. What a horrible thing to have happen. 
Hope your recovery is swift. 

Man, your salvage topic made it seem like it wasn't a big deal, but apparently it was... 
How long ago was this, and how goes the recovery?

I cringe when I ride with my girl, she freaking honks at nearly everyone coming out of driveways and I always feel embarrassed but I think she has the right idea.

The pictures I saw, the bike didn't look bad, but as soon as I saw it in person I knew it wasn't going back on the road. So now it'll just be sitting in my garage for a few months until I can get around to striping it down.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Holy Christ, dude! That's awful. I'm glad you're alive. Please tell me the douche had insurance and your insurance company is suing? It seems to me this deserves some punitive damages given that he is 100% at fault.

Holy Christ, dude! That's awful. I'm glad you're alive. Please tell me the douche had insurance and your insurance company is suing? It seems to me this deserves some punitive damages given that he is 100% at fault.

He had insurance, but here you're only required to have a minimum of 30,000, and that doesn't go far. He had just a little more and I had under insured. I got a lawyer and he is handling everything. But we are not suing him as I do not think it will be fruitful. Going through insurance at this time.

Hope you are feeling better. I went down in January and just had surgery last week to get it fixed. (Damn insurance putting it off 3 months sucked.) We both probably have a few months of recovery ahead of us but we are alive and still kicking, some of us with our right legs... and others with our left. Also nice hardware, your rod might be longer but I think mine has more screws.

This is the first time I've ever had a broken bone, always thought I would cry, but there was no time to. First broke bone ended up with a titanium rod and 4 screws.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Glad to hear your on the mend after that idiot hit you. Take care and make sure you talk to a good lawyer, regardless of the insurance situation with the driver.

dentalprodigy

Glad you are OK. Those radiographs look scary. Sending positive vibes to you. Have a speedy recovery

Archived