The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 for Short People ? .... Advice

user1

has anyone had to accommodate a short rider (5'7" - 31" sleeve lenth - 29" inseam) to an FZ-07?being able to comfortably reach and use the handlebar/controls  AND stay upright (as in the included photo)??(this rider barely has her arms bent, so she is at least 5'9'' in height i would bet.)
kSoDJWp.jpg
Would  2"x2" barback risers negatively change the geometry/handling of the bike for the rider?moving the handlebar back and up at least 2" toward the rider and away from the front forks seems like it would be a big change with regards to handleing, balance, and holding a corner to me......
Any ideas from you racers, mountain twisties riders, and fast, tight turns types out there.
thank you.user1  

I'm 5'7" and I find the bike's ergonomics pretty comfortable. Best part is I can either ride upright or tuck and it always feels pretty natural.

If I were to have my handlebars moved further back toward me I would want them to be a little wider to maintain the same good leverage/control the bars offer when stock. If that were done I believe they would be safe.

Beemer

Guest 2wheeler

5'6" with 29.5" inseam and short torso - works fine for me. Not completely flat foot but pretty close. The bike is very narrow and it makes up for being vertically challenged. Plus the FZ is light and very well balanced.

Have you actually hopped on a FZ-07? It sits almost like a dirt bike. I'm shorter than you in height, sleeve, and inseam but the bike is stupid comfortable. A bar riser almost sounds ridiculous. I have done 900 miles straight on the bike with no wrist pain.

topazsparrow

I can't think of many other bikes that would be this forgiving for short riders. Yamaha really slammed it out of the park on this bike.

I'm 5'4, short asian who has no problem with the FZ07. I may not put my feet flat on the ground but the overall ride for me is fine.

5'7" ain't short overall ( shortish for a male but within 2 standard deviations so not severly atypical). At the upper limit of medium for a female.
Look closely at the photo. Feet are not on the arch on the footpegs, but on the ball. That's fine for heavy cornering but not for upright riding so legs and consequently torso are modified. You need to ba able to load the pegs and lift the body if necessary to allow the bike to move under you. Body is in a very upright position, which is fine for city riding, but will be extremely tiring for any distance or real speed, as you have to tense your arms to resist wind load. Body should be at an angle that balances the wind load. If she was more forward her arms could be parallel to the ground and more relaxed. Tight and/or straight arms have a VERY negative effect on the ability to control the bike ( At this point I should mention viewing the "twist of the wrist" two videos).
Do what ever you need to fit the bike to you rather than fit you to the bike. Every compromise you make with any part of your body will adversely affect you ability to react in a timely fashion.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

I'm 5'7", bike feels great. Would like the handlebars to come back about an inch, and be about an inch or two more narrow. Relatively easy fix but it's been fine for the last 20,000 miles.

Everything went braap.

Cycle-Ergo.com
Shows two images: (1) 6'0" rider on stock FZ-07  (2) 5'7"-8" rider on stock FZ-07picture (1) similar to posture of rider in the OPpicture (2) more forward lean required; tighter hip/knee angles. 
- facts:> 09 -vs- 15 degrees of forward lean> hip and knee angle equal  -vs-  hip +10' /knee +15'
 (1)  (2)

5'7'' here also. Bike is perfect for me. Love the light weight and power. Just don't see myself going over 100 mph anymore and wrestling with a heavy bike when I move it around the garage.

bmwpowere36m3
It sounds as if you've not sat on one... FIRST, step!!!
+1
You could be tall, but have t-rex arms.... only one way to find out.

• 3 months later...

I'm 5'7" and I am very comfortable on the bike. I sat on the fz-09 at the dealer and my first impression was "uhhhh, no, way too big". Im not a super "skilled" biker though. I've rode for 5 years now. I just ride. I've never even tried a wheelie. But for me the 07 is perfect.

• Premium Member

I'm 5'4 and have no problems with any of those ergonomic issues that you spoke of @user1. I have NO ISSUES comfortably reaching anything.

Archived