The MT-07 Forum

Modify FZ-07 Stock Exhaust

albofz07

Does anyone else like the way the stock system is very quiet, or am I the only one?   :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Does anyone else like the way the stock system is very quiet, or am I the only one?   :)

I liked how quiet the stock system is. 

I now have the Akra ti, and with the baffle in it’s the same sound level as stock at the revs noise is tested at (5000 rpm?). It would be even quieter with the (optional) cat fitted. At lower revs it has more volume and bass than the stock system (sounds beautiful!).

Edited by stickshift
  • Like 3

Sunnycalibear

Im enjoying my quiet stock system for the time being. 

Just waiting a few more months for the weather to be warmer to justify purchasing the akra ti lol

On 1/23/2021 at 6:25 PM, Triple Jim said:

I want a bit better tone, odds are it will take a bit more volume. When I bought the exhaust system I got, it had a quiet core, but I also bought the quieter core in case it was too loud with just the quiet core.    I just want a bit nicer tone.  Kind of what the street rods can achieve with the great mufflers made by Magnaflow, Flowmaster, and others.  Gives them a sweet rumble without rattling windows and bothering people.   No idea why the motorcycle aftermarket can't do the same... other than that too many motorcyclists equate noise with being cool.  It's the tone, man.  Not the volume.

Edited by klx678

1 hour ago, klx678 said:

It's the tone, man.  Not the volume.

Cool.  I guess I got my fun with tone with expansion chambers on the H2. :)   I'm really digging the lack of it with my stock MT-07 system.  I also really like that I'm averaging around 60 mpg, and I would hesitate to do anything to the fuel mapping that could change that.  The 3.7 gallon tank actually gives me a 200 mile range with everything stock.  I realize that not all systems require a reflash.

Edited by Triple Jim

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, klx678 said:

It's the tone, man.  Not the volume.

Same here! Nice to see someone else with the same taste.

My DD is a 2014 Camaro SS (1LE). It came with the solenoid operated exhaust - at idle, the valve is open to let that sweet LS3 rumble out and then it closes up in the mid RPM range to be civil, then opens up again when you romp on it. I have not touched the exhaust besides removing the fuse that controls this solenoid. Basically, I have a resonated straight pipe that keeps a very nice V8 rumble, some decel pops, but isn't going to hurt anyone's ears. Compared to the clown down the street from me with a (pretty nice) 4th gen with an exhaust that literally shakes my windows... just, ugh... I'll take a civil throaty rumble every day of the week. 

I do want a bit nicer tone from my MT07, but I will definitely not be getting any of these crazy loud exhausts.

Yamaha have spent a lot of time (and money) redesigning the system on the new MT-09 for a better sound. I hope that may filter down to the 07 in time somehow.

Just do it! 

6 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Cool.  I guess I got my fun with tone with expansion chambers on the H2. :)   I'm really digging the lack of it with my stock MT-07 system.  I also really like that I'm averaging around 60 mpg, and I would hesitate to do anything to the fuel mapping that could change that.  The 3.7 gallon tank actually gives me a 200 mile range with everything stock.  I realize that not all systems require a reflash.

I had an S3 400 triple with Denco chambers.  Wish I still had it.  Lots of fun... not an H2, but still fun.

I picked up one of the Delkevic systems with the 18" can, I checked on reflashing, they said it would work fine stock.  The kit has a quiet core and I ordered their "quieter core" just to be sure.  Their dyno run deal said around 96 dB.  I hope they're right.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Terry_b said:

Same here! Nice to see someone else with the same taste.

My DD is a 2014 Camaro SS (1LE). It came with the solenoid operated exhaust - at idle, the valve is open to let that sweet LS3 rumble out and then it closes up in the mid RPM range to be civil, then opens up again when you romp on it. I have not touched the exhaust besides removing the fuse that controls this solenoid. Basically, I have a resonated straight pipe that keeps a very nice V8 rumble, some decel pops, but isn't going to hurt anyone's ears. Compared to the clown down the street from me with a (pretty nice) 4th gen with an exhaust that literally shakes my windows... just, ugh... I'll take a civil throaty rumble every day of the week. 

I do want a bit nicer tone from my MT07, but I will definitely not be getting any of these crazy loud exhausts.

Some find it hard to believe, but when I did the 3/4 drop on my Ranger we had to cut off the exhaust in front of the rear axle, the mufflers were in the tail tips.  We had to fire it up.   Turns out the cat converters apparently quiet it down enough to run without any muffler.  Been doing so for about six years now.  Drive normal and never even had a cop look my direction going past them.   It is just a shade louder than I'd like, but I would hate to put on a muffler and find it sounded like crap.  I still may do so, one of the good stainless ones.  Either way I 've gotten compliments on the sound and even my wife doesn't mind it.  Doesn't wake her up when I have to leave early.

12 minutes ago, klx678 said:

I had an S3 400 triple with Denco chambers.  Wish I still had it.  Lots of fun... not an H2, but still fun.

S3s are great handling motorcycles, and stock their bottom end is stronger than an H1.  Come to the annual 2-stroke meet at Deals Gap, NC in May if you want to see a bunch of 2-strokes.  I actually have a friend who I believe is planning to sell his S3 if you want another one.   :)

Edited by Triple Jim

Could be interesting.  One of the things the S3 had was a normal 1-n-2-3-4-5 shift pattern instead the n-1-2-3-4-5 like the 500.

• Like 1