The MT-07 Forum

Modify FZ-07 Stock Exhaust

albofz07

Hello boys, new to the forum and new to FZ07. Love this bike, got it a year ago.

I am saving up for an exhaust, I'll either get the M4 slip on or Akra full system, however, I was wondering if anyone has messed around with the stock exhaust? I just want a bit more noise, maybe remove the cats, put a straight pipe! Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks, 

booboobusfz07

You've got a few options. People have cut open the exhaust and drilled holes. They've drilled holes near the exit pipe. And some have done open pipes after cutting the muffler assembly off

• 2 months later...

This mod with the holes seems nice.
I wonder does it have any "negative effects" ? Loss of warranty? Fuel consumtion? Heating? etc...

This mod with the holes seems nice. I wonder does it have any "negative effects" ? Loss of warranty? Fuel consumtion? Heating? etc...

Negative effect is a little loss in MPG, but the bike runs cooler
Don't know about warranty

• 3 weeks later...

So I did a modification to my exhaust and what i did was I started drilling the holes in mine after several drill bits later my homie showed up and said he has a sawzall in his trunk (he works construction) anywho so asked him if his blades could cut stainless steel he said and I quote " F**K yeah it will!" so I said screw it and I lobbed off the whole little tube you drill around just before the weld on the muffler side and honestly think it sounds better than the holes. now idk about any power loss because at the dealer i bought my bike they had a bike night with a free dyno session for anyone who wanted to do it. and I did now I don't want to hear any B.S. "oh well their dyno was probably reading high." it wasn't if anything it would be low but i doubt that too. because my other homie with a 2014 ZX-10R read 108HP with a K&N filter and full exhaust on a really hot day like 108 with a good amount of humidity too. that bike was untuned and from the factory is supposed to make 160-200HP i don't really know the specific numbers because everywhere i look says something different but none the less even at 160HP, 108 hp is a massive loss in power. where it went idk but that was even after a tune up so idk but anywho my bike dyno'd something between 65-67HP which is about what it should be stock I can't remember because it was like 2 months ago and my phone was broken so I couldn't even record it so as far as power loss goes i don't think i lost any. if anything i may have gained a little who knows i don't know drivetrain loss from motorcycles but i do have a couple vids for comparison of sound before and after

https://www.instagram.com/Fz_trout/?hl=en

Edit* I noticed that in my after video on Instagram I noted down how much i made on the Dyno and it was 68.3HP also i tried linking the vids directly but the forum wasn't having it and wouldn't show up  just links which is what i wanted but oh well i just linked my main pics and vids spot instead and that seems to be working. they're the 2nd and 3rd vids from the top. 

topazsparrow
So I did a modification to my exhaust and what i did was I started drilling the holes in mine after several drill bits later my homie showed up and said he has a sawzall in his trunk (he works construction) anywho so asked him if his blades could cut stainless steel he said and I quote " F**K yeah it will!" so I said screw it and I lobbed off the whole little tube you drill around just before the weld on the muffler side and honestly think it sounds better than the holes. now idk about any power loss because at the dealer i bought my bike they had a bike night with a free dyno session for anyone who wanted to do it. and I did now I don't want to hear any B.S. "oh well their dyno was probably reading high." it wasn't if anything it would be low but i doubt that too. because my other homie with a 2014 ZX-10R read 108HP with a K&N filter and full exhaust on a really hot day like 108 with a good amount of humidity too. that bike was untuned and from the factory is supposed to make 160-200HP i don't really know the specific numbers because everywhere i look says something different but none the less even at 160HP, 108 hp is a massive loss in power. where it went idk but that was even after a tune up so idk but anywho my bike dyno'd something between 65-67HP which is about what it should be stock I can't remember because it was like 2 months ago and my phone was broken so I couldn't even record it so as far as power loss goes i don't think i lost any. if anything i may have gained a little who knows i don't know drivetrain loss from motorcycles but i do have a couple vids for comparison of sound before and after 

Edit* I noticed that in my after video on Instagram I noted down how much i made on the Dyno and it was 68.3HP also i tried linking the vids directly but the forum wasn't having it and wouldn't show up  just links which is what i wanted but oh well i just linked my main pics and vids spot instead and that seems to be working. they're the 2nd and 3rd vids from the top. 
jeez man, can you space that out a bit? It reads like a giant run on sentence. 
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

jeez man, can you space that out a bit? It reads like a giant run on sentence.

Ha ha XD sorry...I tend to do that by accident

I have done this mod 6 holes 3/8" and people LOVE IT. sounds like a M4 exhaust below 7k rpm just great.. gives me time to really choose a good exhaust

Sounds much better!!
This is exactly what I did to my new FZ07 I just bought and I'm happy with it.  No cost, no reduction in fuel mileage, no adverse effects.

• 2 months later...

Okay....so I stopped being somewhat lazy and I uploaded my vids to youtube. hope this works since the last time I tried it did not work so well lol

Before

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0phjxDa98]

After
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5u6ZEdVkEo]

• 4 months later...

Where exactly did you drill the 6 holes? Are they hidden from view when done?

I have done this mod 6 holes 3/8" and people LOVE IT. sounds like a M4 exhaust below 7k rpm just great.. gives me time to really choose a good exhaust

My heart goes out to all of you, I wish I could buy everyone a good aftermarket pipe. :-/

• Like 1

Beemer

I drilled the 6 holes and then Cut them all wide open together. Got rid of the exhaust leak kind of noise it makes at idle. basically a giant hole behind my shroud now lol. Sounds great though I'll make a nice video eventually to show it. I was so bummed about how quiet this bike is but now I'm not so rushed to get an exhaust anymore!
IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

• Like 2

I put a few holes in last year - it was free and I couldn't resist. It definitely makes the bike sound a little more aggressive and I didn't notice any adverse effects as far as power and driveability goes. It let me delay the inevitable for a little bit anyway. New exhaust is now ordered so away with the stock exhaust!!

this is the only mod I did still sound the same.lol
it was marked so I did this. the whole cover is made of s/steel so you could polish if needed.

004.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I drilled the 6 holes and then Cut them all wide open together. Got rid of the exhaust leak kind of noise it makes at idle. basically a giant hole behind my shroud now lol. Sounds great though I'll make a nice video eventually to show it. I was so bummed about how quiet this bike is but now I'm not so rushed to get an exhaust anymore! IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

Good god it looks like a crime scene  :D . Bet it sounds awesome though!

I drilled the 6 holes and then Cut them all wide open together. Got rid of the exhaust leak kind of noise it makes at idle. basically a giant hole behind my shroud now lol. Sounds great though I'll make a nice video eventually to show it. I was so bummed about how quiet this bike is but now I'm not so rushed to get an exhaust anymore! IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

Now that is a spin to the free exhaust mod!!!

This most certainly requires a vid  :D

A short video I made just to show the sound. recorded on my iPhone 5 doesn't do justice at all. Loud enough I have to wear ear plugs now 
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is what mine sounds like last kind of a flyby with the same modification that I did

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
this is the only mod I did still sound the same.lol it was marked so I did this. the whole cover is made of s/steel so you could polish if needed.

004.jpg

That looks great.  Do you have a link?