The MT-07 Forum

Lets talk tires

20vavant

As I type I'm a little frustrated with tires.
I have had the bike a little over a year now, just crossed 7,800 miles on the bike.
Here is my tire history
New tires/New bike - Michelin Pilot Road 3s ---- 0-4,500 miles
Was involved in an accident - lady pulled out in front of me
Front Tire - Michelin Pilot Power 3 ----- 4,500-5,600 miles  (Insurance replaced this for me on her behalf)Rear Tire - Michelin Pilot Road 3 ------- 0 - 5,600 miles
Rear tire started getting mild flat spots and I was eager for new, grippier tires.
Front/Rear Tires - Bridgestone Battlax BT003 5,600-Current
Here is my beef.
My rear tire currently has a pretty nice flat spot in it after 2,200 miles. I expected a shorter life from these but not 2,200 miles.
I have recently been doing more highway miles than twisties so that somewhat explains it.
What is everyone running to get the best grip/life from tires. I by no means ride aggressively and feel that the Battlax was a bit overkill for my riding style, but I do enjoy carving twisties quickly when the mood is right. :)

2015 Yamaha FZ07 - Woodcraft clip-ons w/ bar end sliders, Yoshimura Exhaust, Graves Fender Eliminator, Cyclops LED Headlight, Motodynamic integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber Heel Guards, Bridgestone Battlax BT003 tires, Forks by Matt, PSR shorty levers, OES Frame & Axle sliders.

2014 Lexus IS350

• Global Moderator

A lot of guys like the Michelin PR4's. That is my plan when the stock Bridgestone tires need replacement.

pineappleunderthesea

Revzilla seems to like both the Michelin PR4 and the Bridgestone Battlax, they are recommended tires in their 2016 tire guide. Which is the best out of these 2 tires...I'm not sure.  My FZ came with the Bridgestones, maybe I'd try the PR4s next?... 

I like my Bridgestone with 4500 miles and still looks like new (With my kind of riding???). But will also be looking at the PR4 next.

Motorboat McGoat

I went 7200 mi on my Battlax 023's, decided I wanted to try something new, went to the Michelin PR4's and so far LOVE them; it could be that I was suffering through a tire with a flat spot, but the PR4's just want to turn/lean. They love it. I have zero experience with pure sport tires though, so I can't really comment on how sticky/not sticky they are, just that they hold corners with no chicken strips :D

I believe the tires that came stock on the bike are some of the best ones for the riding you describe you are doing.

Guest Ralph

Riders that ride a bit faster in the curves often get more miles from a tyre as they
not only corner a little faster but tend to get quite a bit of the acceleration done
before the bike is fully upright, spreading the ware more evenly over the tyre.
I am going to fit these just because I have a new set in the garage
ContiRoadAttack 2, the EVO the org Bridgestones have 9000 miles on them and may make
it to 11000 miles before hitting the ware strips. The Michelin 3s on the test bike
I rode felt better than the Bridgestones mine came with.

I really had no issues with the stock tires, but since I was gaining more experience and wanted to go faster in turns I thought it would be nice to get sticky tires. I feel like a lot of my issue was that I didn't use this tire to its potential and wasted it with highway miles.

I will probably try out the PR4s since the bike has been on more commuter duty lately.

Would be nice to have a second set a wheels to swap out....I guess that all part of the learning process. :D

2015 Yamaha FZ07 - Woodcraft clip-ons w/ bar end sliders, Yoshimura Exhaust, Graves Fender Eliminator, Cyclops LED Headlight, Motodynamic integrated tail light, Carbon Fiber Heel Guards, Bridgestone Battlax BT003 tires, Forks by Matt, PSR shorty levers, OES Frame & Axle sliders.

2014 Lexus IS350

twowheeladdict

I ran PR4s on my Concours 1400, and now on my Triumph Trophy SE. Great sport touring tire for those that also ride in the rain.

What tire you choose for the FZ-07 should be based on the riding situation. I was happy with Shinko Ravens on my Mean Streak, and my Versys.
Look at the tire compounds and tread patterns to help you decide.

2015 FZ-07

I felt that the BT023 that came stock were adequate. I did 6k on them, mostly twisties and the occasional track day, almost always on dry surfaces. Now I'm on BT016Pro and pretty happy with them, although I don't expect more than 3-4k from them. Grippier and more agile, with great lean stability.

PR4's are what I just ordered. Have them on my supermoto, and I don't push the bike to it's limit so the PR4's are PLENTY grippy for me

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I ran PR4s on my Concours 1400, and now on my Triumph Trophy SE. Great sport touring tire for those that also ride in the rain. 
What tire you choose for the FZ-07 should be based on the riding situation. I was happy with Shinko Ravens on my Mean Streak, and my Versys.
Look at the tire compounds and tread patterns to help you decide.
+1 on the rain. I have had no issues with these PR4 tires in the rain. Pshhh wet? I couldn't even tell...

SigSide.jpg

PR4s are getting too rich for my taste.

First of all tire pressures. I am heavy guy, 260lbs with gear. I go typically 34-35 psi front and 38-40 psi rear on the FZ 07. I rode the stock PR3 with flat spots and all, all the way to 19K miles.

Replaced with Dunlop Sportmax Q3s. Only got 2K miles on them so far, but they have maintained profile nicely, and very grippy. No idea in the rain so far. These tires seem to have better bump absorption or something, very comfortable. Lets see what ultimate mileage I will get out of these.

• Global Moderator

I had the pr3s stock for my bike, had them replaced @10.5k due to excessive cupping/vibration(alignment was off)
With the pr4 GTs since they didnt have the standard pr4s in stock
Flat spotted the rear after 9.5k due to running too much pressure in the rear.
Ran 37 in the rear 30 in front
Front tire still looks pretty new
Rear tire is getting replaced with a standard pr4 whenever i get the bike repaired

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

There are a lot of factors that determine the life of a tire. Your riding style, your weight, tire pressure, the ground type you ride on, etc.

I had the Bridgestones stock and went 18,500K on the front. Switched it to a Michelin since that's what I got from @pgeldz (I think, I keep mixing the two stock brands up).  

As for the rear, I'm sure I would've gotten the same life out of it, but I got a huge nail in it. I have a Dunlop on there since the shop that initially put the Michelin on made a hole in it while installing it.

I've been running on two different tires for almost 5K now, and it all feels good. Just putting it out there for anyone wondering if mixing tires is a no-no.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator

wonder what kind of tire would be the absolute best for commuting?
is the PR4 truly the best out there in terms of life?
neighbor of mine has a Michelin PR3(f) Michelin commander II® on his SV650 and it's a rather comfortable setup from the 30ish miles I've put on it(over 18k miles on his rear tire so far).
would something like this possibly work on our bikes? or perhaps a different combo to extend rear tire life past 12k?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, So far I've gone through 2 sets of tires front and rear seemed to wear out at the same time but with small differences. I commute on my bike just about every day that I can 125 miles a day. I have put 38k miles on my FZ-07 in 2 years. I have no track time so yeah pretty boring. My stock set were Michelin PR3's and lasted for 20k The front was warn down to the wear bars and I had the start of cords peeking through on the rear tire. My second set were the PR4's at 18k on them and are done. Front tire showing cords and rear tire just down to the wear bars. Maybe if I get a PR3 front and a PR4 rear I'll get another 2k miles out of them. :P I'm now looking into cost per mile. Pilot Road tires are expensive and yes they work very well in the wet, Not a slip ever! Is there a tire out there that is less expensive but will last as long?

• Premium Member

I know I'm comparing apples to watermelons here.... I run Dunlop Q3+. I ride track about 90% of the time. I get about 3,000 miles out of a front, and about 600-800 miles out of a rear. I'm VERY happy with the life of the front, the rear, not so much.... I still love the Q3+, and have no plans to change anytime soon. If I do push them too far, the traction loss is gradual, and gives me plenty of warning that I'm riding like an ass-hat..... I don't "race", I do about a dozen track days a year-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

You’re trying to split hairs looking for tires to go longer then that.  If you like your current setup on a daily basis and are getting that kind of life then just stick with it. Now if you were getting like 10,000 miles I’d say there could be room for improvement but still that’s not bad for tires you like. 

Yeah, like RojoRacing said...you aren't likely to improve on those numbers.  PR4s are pricey but with mileage considered, not so much.  I would almost guarantee you will see less miles if you go with a cheaper option.  I only got about 7K miles out of my BT023s and they definitely weren't 1/3 the cost of PR4s.

Archived