The MT-07 Forum

Bike Protection

sturso

I would like to know what you guys think are the absolute-must-get-immediately parts to adequately protect your new bike from any minor and (of course) unintentional mishaps.

seems like sliders are a must - but which ones? axle sliders? frame sliders? etc...

also, do you all lock up your bike when going into work or to grab a bite to eat?

sorry if these have all been addressed elsewhere but I will be getting my FZ in a few weeks and the amount of crap i "think" i need to buy is giving me the shets.

thanks in advance!!!!!

603nytroxtx
OES Accessories
Great Slider setup. Good price too.

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

• Global Moderator

Radiator guard is the first one I would do (I have the Evotech) followed quickly by frame sliders (I have OES).

• Premium Member

+1 for the rad guard and a full compliment of OES sliders. I had my rad guard powder-coated matte blk to hide that hideous silver eyesore of a radiator.  I only lock the handlebars and I have a Scorpio alarm hard-wired in.

Some more ... (forum vendors)
http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-Engine-Guard--Yamaha-MT-07-FZ07_p_4700.html  

http://higdonion.com/products/fz07-protection-cage-and-skid-plate   

There are also various engine case guards avail.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Evotech rad guard was to first thing I purchased before I evne had my bike. Screen protector for the tech display. Some say frame sliders could cause the bike to flip or other damage (such frame damage) in the case of the bike going down on the side.

ebay screen protector link

h ttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomimata-Yamaha-MT-07-FZ-07-Speedo-Screen-Protector-Shield-Guard-3PACK-3x-CLEAR-/322061315730?hash=item4afc59ae92:g:k9UAAOSwyQtV6tX~&vxp=mtr

• Global Moderator

I have heard about frame sliders possibly causing the bike to flip, however there are forum members who have crashed their bikes and the sliders have prevented a lot of damage (and so far not flipped anyone).

twowheeladdict

I have done over 100,000 miles on bikes without radiator guards. Never an issue.

But I now have one on my wife's truck after the AC got taken out by a rock.

If you are going to add stuff based on what if, you should add the following.
-Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) so you always know your tire preassure, and get an alert if it drops to far or too fast. If you have ever tried to ride a bike with a flat, you will know how imprtant this is.
-Front fender extender to keep from kicking stuff up at the bike. Keeps it cleaner as well.
-Radiator Guard.
-Engine Guards
-Axle Sliders
-bar end sliders
-Additional LED lighting front and rear. Better to be seen with my dear.
-Headlight Guard. Rock could take this out as well.
-Quality Riding Gear head to toe. More important to protect yourself than the bike.
-The most important thing you can do is practice and develop your riding skills.

Remember, skill is what keeps you on two wheels.
Skill plus situational awareness is what keeps you out of trouble.
ATGATT is what helps protect your body when you fail at one of the above.

2015 FZ-07

Radiator guard is a must. It can be a DIY for about $20.
The other mods are not needed unless it makes you feel better.

twowheeladdict
Radiator guard is a must. It can be a DIY for about $20. The other mods are not needed unless it makes you feel better.
How many radiator failures due to debris have been reported on this forum? 

2015 FZ-07

• Global Moderator

I was not worried about radiator failure, but did not want the fins getting bent. Of course I have not had my radiator fail once since I installed the guard.

I was not worried about radiator failure, but did not want the fins getting bent. Of course I have not had my radiator fail once since I installed the guard.
That sums it up. 

• Premium Member
+1 for the rad guard and a full compliment of OES sliders. 

Make that a +2, although I prefer the R&G sliders.  The OES ones certainly aren't bad at all though... 
:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
So, do you guys install radiator guards on your cars as well?
Lol, well no, but then again, cars usually have a grill to protect the radiator in the event of any debris coming through to ruin it.  With a bike, the fins of the radiator can easily get damaged because there's not to much to shroud it from such debris. 
I'd still do all the sliders first, but the radiator would be a close second as far as protection of the bike is concerned.

- Paulie

twowheeladdict
So, do you guys install radiator guards on your cars as well?
Lol, well no, but then again, cars usually have a grill to protect the radiator in the event of any debris coming through to ruin it.  With a bike, the fins of the radiator can easily get damaged because there's not to much to shroud it from such debris. 
I'd still do all the sliders first, but the radiator would be a close second as far as protection of the bike is concerned.

- Paulie
Yep, I thought that too until the AC died in the summer, 4 hours from home.  I was lucky the AC was in front of the radiator or I would have been stranded. Look at how large the opening in the grill is on some cars.  You also tend to drive closer to vehicles in your car.

I added protection on both my truck, and my wife's truck.

Now that I type this, guess I am going to look at radiator guards for my bikes today.  LOL!

2015 FZ-07

lazyrandyxoxo
So, do you guys install radiator guards on your cars as well?[span]     
[/span]
Mine came from the factory with radiator guards installed. The grille and bumper.

twowheeladdict
So, do you guys install radiator guards on your cars as well?[span]     
[/span]
Mine came from the factory with radiator guards installed. The grille and bumper.
So did my bike.  The tire, fender, and forks.  :) 

2015 FZ-07

• Global Moderator

The tire is what wants to throw rocks at your radiator. Never trust it. 

twowheeladdict

I was being sarcastic. ;)

Many cars and trucks have big enough openings in the grills to let a damaging object through.

If there is a concern about the tire kicking a rock up, a fender extender would take care of that.

2015 FZ-07

• Global Moderator
I was being sarcastic. ;)

Many cars and trucks have big enough openings in the grills to let a damaging object through.

If there is a concern about the tire kicking a rock up, a fender extender would take care of that.
yes the holes in vehicle grills are sometimes quite large, but there are usually secondary blocks in those that you cant see all too well
usually in the form.of other radiators...condesers
also theres the common multi-purpose radiator that cools trans/engine oil on top of the coolant leaving less space for.something to.go.wrong hy puncturing the radiator

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bmwpowere36m3

Talk about beating a dead horse... is a radiator guard required, no. Does it offer some protection, yes. Is comparable to a car, no. All I can say, every motorcycle I've had with a forward facing and exposed radiator... has had some form of guard/deflector.

I didn't put on the Evotech guard till a few hundred miles into owning the FZ-07. When I was installing it, I noticed and fixed a bunch of bent fins. Nothing major, but "damaged" non-the-less. Compound that few hundred miles into thousands and the damage likely would be more extensive. I'd actually be less considered with some bent fins vs. larger debris punching a hole or causing a leak.

And personally, the bike looks better with the radiator area "blacked-out".

A person that worries too much about what if this and what if that can spend more money on preventative parts than a part/parts that might get damaged by actually dropping the bike. Your bike says a lot about you and I don't want mine saying I'm a paranoid rider.
[attachment id=1651" thumbnail="1][attachment id=1652" thumbnail="1][attachment id=1653" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3
A person that worries too much about what if this and what if that can spend more money on preventative parts than a apart/parts that might get damaged by actually dropping the bike. Your bike says a lot about you and I don't want mine saying I'm a paranoid rider. [attachment thumbnail=1" id="1651][attachment thumbnail=1" id="1652][attachment thumbnail=1" id="1653]

To be fair, the first one, IIRC, is a below the waist paralyzed rider... So he needs the cage, so he doesn't get crushed, he's strapped to bike.

Archived