The MT-07 Forum

Turbo build

dpc46

I'm not sure what you mean, corkscrew, my Yosh sure doesn't but besides that, I would assume you wouldn't want any back pressure on that side of the turbo, if anything I'd think just the opposite. I'm sure some turbo guys will help out here.

I know it's a budget build but for not much money you can buy all size, radii and bends of ex. tubing through most performance auto stores, SS if you so desired but would break the budget. Internet also I'd assume.

I'm not even close to resembling any kind of expert but knowing what little I know, if you told me you were going to double the HP of any stock engine, I'd be thinking of improving the cooling system, both water and oil, unless you just plan to putt around on it as an engineering exercise.

Keep at it, you and the rest of us will learn a lot about this engine as you extract that HP, racing improves the breed or at least high lights the weaknesses if nothing else.

Tell me again, where exactly do you plan to mount the turbo?

• Global Moderator
dpc46, fun idea and hope you keep with it...the only thought I had was in regards to fitting a knock sensor, if the PCV or whatever controller you use could utilize it and alter the ignition advance to suit, maybe keep you out of trouble. Hmmm, just had another idea, larger sump for more oil volume, larger radiator? I know, budget build...good luck, sounds like a lot of fun...Mark
my tuner doesn't seem to think the oil will be a problem. Doesn't think there will be an issue with pressure to the turbo or volume to the turbo or the crank. But it's something to keep an eye on. I just think my biggest issue will be if there are enough adjustments in the factory ECM. But if that's my biggest issue then that's not too bad. We can order up a PCV very easily.

I was able to fab up both flanges that bolt to both sides of the turbine housing. I originally planned on using EMT conduit as my collector pipe for getting the 2 header pipes into 1. But I don't like welding with that stuff and also don't like the look of it. I will be running to the local bike scrap yard hopefully today and go through their scrap exhaust bin to pick out exhaust tubing. I also was going to go back to 2 pipes after the turbo. The Akra system I have keeps the headers separate all the way back to behind the oil pan. For some reason I wanted to do that again but now decided to run a single pipe all the way back to the muffler. Just need to find some piping that will work for that and weld everything up

I have access to a mandrel bender through work that can bend pipe up 4" but the radius is waaaay to big. Hopefully I can find something that does a tighter radius.

One question hopefully someone could answer. On most aftermarket systems we have a corkscrew right before the muffler. I'm assuming that is to create back pressure? Will that be needed or would it be better to remove that corkscrew and just run a straight pipe from the turbo to the muffler?
The turbo will create enough backpressure on its own, there will be no need for anything after the turbo except a straight pipe to the rear

there is also the possibility of better refining of the exh pulses by going with a twin scroll setup
though im not sure how the engine would handle it or if the exhaust flow is adequate enough

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The Akra Carbon systems have a corkscrew right before the muffler. 2C267F6F-D7ED-44DD-AC6D-8FA23C4907D4_zpsf4bt83yy.jpg

I was going to play with the idea of the exhaust manifold will support the turbo but we will see. In the front of the motor just about the oil filter there are 2 "brackets" that stick out. They are cast into the motor. Maybe used for supports for building the motor at the factor? I'm not sure but they don't appear to have any use. I could make a bracket to hold the turbo and bolt it to one of the supports.

• Global Moderator
The Akra Carbon systems have a corkscrew right before the muffler. 2C267F6F-D7ED-44DD-AC6D-8FA23C4907D4_zpsf4bt83yy.jpg 
I was going to play with the idea of the exhaust manifold will support the turbo but we will see. In the front of the motor just about the oil filter there are 2 "brackets" that stick out. They are cast into the motor. Maybe used for supports for building the motor at the factor? I'm not sure but they don't appear to have any use. I could make a bracket to hold the turbo and bolt it to one of the supports.

I believe that corkscrew is for length more than anything
@gregjet has theorized that they included that as a way to 'tune' the exhaust's properties and phasing

Ok, that corkscrew, and yes, it's just so that the longer secondary pipe will stay under the engine and keep muffler in tight, otherwise, the secondary would be straight like the Arrow and the muffler well back. You're doing forced induction, no tuned secondary wanted or needed since you aren't coaxing the intake charge in, you're cramming it in.

Those 2 lugs on the front of the engine would be nice attach points for your turbo bracketry, you can remount the coolant reservoir elsewhere if need be and I would personally not want the exhaust manifold supporting the turbo without a support since you have the perfect points to mount from.

• Premium Member

I would look at the mt-09 turbo build...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I would look at the mt-09 turbo build...

I did see that. I will be keeping my options open to that and will be looking into that this evening. Family has been in town this weekend so I haven't been able to get into the garage.

Without actually mocking a rear mount up the only issue I foresee is a bad angle for the oil to drain back into the sump

Yeah I am pretty sure the snail is to get a proper tuned length. Phasing is a different matter. MAYBE , just, maybe the little chamber at the collectoir is a sort of micro "expansion chamber" to work with the out of phase pulses. Did a little experiment or two with online expansion chamber calculators to see what sort of results would turn up. Nothing interesting as they are pretty much locked into 2 stroke calcs by making a few of the variables locked within 2 stroke parameters, so I am still going to have to go back to first principles tp play properly. Having trouble getting motivated in that direction. I suppose I should as I have bought a GS500 twin as a project play bike and it is 180deg crank,but with HUGE cam overlap, so would have similiar but not as perfectly out of phase as the MT/FZ.
I am now leaning towards full length runners into a dump "box" to solve the problem. Wish I could find the maths for the stepped headers.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I was looking at that little expansion chamber last night when mocking up a rear mount. The expansion is right where the 02 sensor is at so I figured it was to help the 02 get a proper reading.

I actually really like the look of the turbo being mounted in the rear. I removed the corkscrew section in the exhaust and there is plenty of room. Even an attachment point from the exhaust support. There will be a massive amount less fabrication when mounting it in the rear. It will just be a very tight 90° bend when exiting the turbine and maybe 4" of piping if I want to keep the muffler in the same location.

• Premium Member

Sounds like a fun project!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

" I was looking at that little expansion chamber last night when mocking up a rear mount. The expansion is right where the 02 sensor is at so I figured it was to help the 02 get a proper reading."

Possibly right but few other O2 sensors seem to use at and ( in theory) it would change the temp and pressure in it and so give a different reading for the sensor. Akro usually do things right (and different) so it is possible that it is useful for that purpose.
Still, it appears to me to be some sort of tuning ( literally) chamber.
Akro never responded to my query on the 90/270 pulse issue. Guess I don't have the credentials.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Isn't it more likely that the chamber was for inclusion of a catalytic converter? This would perhaps make the header/collector common with their other exhaust in using the same component, just a thought.

Yes that is the chamber for the optional cat. I hope to do a quickie test by inserting a piece of proper length straight tubing to bypass that chamber and see what the effect is.

J.D. Hord

In Washington we don't have to do any emissions testing on motorcycles. We are able to get away with doing egr block offs and run cat-less. Only emissions we ever follow is noise emissions and they hardly do anything for that.

A buddy of mine has a 200whp gsxr 1000 with a 3" straight pipe with a tiny "muffler". You can't even thing when he gets on he throttle and has yet to be pulled over for it

• 10 months later...

There is a Instagram page called boostitturbos that has a turbo fz07 snowbike build you should check them out I think they have a website that sells turbo stuff as well.

• Global Moderator
In Washington we don't have to do any emissions testing on motorcycles. We are able to get away with doing egr block offs and run cat-less. Only emissions we ever follow is noise emissions and they hardly do anything for that.  
A buddy of mine has a 200whp gsxr 1000 with a 3" straight pipe with a tiny "muffler". You can't even thing when he gets on he throttle and has yet to be pulled over for it
You still working on this thing? If the turbo hasnt worked out, i know the td05 off the 1.8l second gen(95-99) eclipse is front mounted and split fed

You still working on this thing? If the turbo hasnt worked out, i know the td05 off the 1.8l second gen(95-99) eclipse is front mounted and split fed

Not right this second. I got all the piping done and mounted up. Just need to order the oil feed and drain lines. Wife and I are expecting child #2 so after work my free time is devoted to the family. I still hope to get the last 2 things in place.

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/27/2017 at 8:09 AM, dpc46 said:

Not right this second. I got all the piping done and mounted up. Just need to order the oil feed and drain lines. Wife and I are expecting child #2 so after work my free time is devoted to the family. I still hope to get the last 2 things in place.

Are you still working on it?

Archived