The MT-07 Forum

Wholesale Dealer Cost

Guest montana07

• Premium Member

For what is worth, here in KY the sales tax is 6% and the due amount now calculated on the difference between the price of the Bike minus the trade in (this is something new. KY did not do this until this July).
On my bike the price agreed upon was $6600, adding plates and DMV fees and sales tax (I had a trade in), all came out to $7001. I gave in and bought an extended warranty, so if one wants to quibble the full amount is $7400 OTD. I think both the dealer and I walked away happy :)

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I am so glad that I absolutely love this bike otherwise I would be pissed. I have one stealership within a 30-45 minute drive because of SoCal traffic and they definitely got me coming and going. The base price they had was 7,250.28, freight of 357.00 prep of 1403.00 and an 80.00 documentation fee. So for 9090.28 was the price of just the bike. 600 for GAP 160 for DMV 3.50 for tire recycling on both ends I guess before and after the use of the tire, 727.22 in tax. So when all said and done OTD was 10,581.00 on a Yamaha card at 20 something percent interest with almost 2 years of on time payments for the previous bike, always paying well over the maximum, read double payments, and this is the "military discount price". Yeah I got hooked up paying through the nose, and that ladies and gentleman is how business gets done in SoCal.

Here is the real deal though. I could have waited 6 months to find the best deal around and save a grand or two, but at what price. All the money in the world can't purchase time. Let that sink in when you are spending months looking at bikes trying to save a few bucks when you could be out putting more than a thousand miles worth of smiles on your face. Yeah I could have gotten a better deal but this thing really is a blast to ride and it literally is just money. I can always make more.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

Did you say, "...prep of $1403..." ?
Sure did, like I said they got me good I don't know why but many of these SoCal dealers have really high prep fees. I think it has a lot to do with keeping a couple hundred bikes on the floor and all the overhead they have. 

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

• Global Moderator

$1,403? Like $1,400 was not bad enough. They had to get that extra three dollars.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a quote from Stan at Merced Powersports for 8182 otd. only one in stock so decided to wait till Januaury when they have some inventory, then do some serious talking

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

If it works with bikes as it does with cars then there is a "secret" they will NOT talk about... google "dealer holdback" and see what the real story is. If so, they can print and show customers absolutely anything they choose and it has about as much to do with what they actually pay for a new vehicle as doodly-squat.

pantheraleo
Eh, he could have faked it, as I said I'm not familiar with the industry. But he did show me the numbers in his inventory management system(my term, not sure what they actually call it), which is the same system he used to pull up the shipping date when I was in last week. His claim is that he typically prices at his cost + 9% and that he usually makes more money off service and gear sales. But who knows could be bull. 
As for sales tax, title fee and plate, and my out the door fee being $7,500? Sorry, but no. $6,990, no set up, no shipping fee, no documentation fee, and thankfully no sales tax in my state. I negotiated out the door price, and made sure there were no hidden fees.

And let me ask, where do you get your info? 14% profit margin? no dealer shipping fees? Dealer paying a shipping fee seems logical to me, I'd expect Yamaha to charge a dealer 1500 miles away more than one one 200 miles from port. I don't doubt that dealers sometimes make up their own shipping fees, but that's not the same as assuming they don't pay shipping to Yamaha.
Shipping is included in the MSRP.  Been riding every year since 1965....owned 67 motorcycles and worked for dealers in 4 states. If you get the $6990 OUT THE DOOR price in writing.... I'll believe it. Post it up here on the forum.

I paid 7k, even, OTD.

In February, such things are possible.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

If it works with bikes as it does with cars then there is a "secret" they will NOT talk about... google "dealer holdback" and see what the real story is. If so, they can print and show customers absolutely anything they choose and it has about as much to do with what they actually pay for a new vehicle as doodly-squat.
Yep, also known in the retail industry as a "rebate". In other words, the "invoice cost", even if that was true, does NOT take into account this rebate that comes back to the dealer later. Sneaky but par for the industry. Seeing the tax rates you guys pay kills me knowing it's 13% here in Ontario, Canada.

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

• 3 weeks later...

I think I did alright here in Alberta - I got mine for $7777.41 OTD. If you take the exchange rate into account (Does it work that way with vehicles/bikes?) It would work out to $6421. I kind of busted the dealers balls a bit before we got to that price though ;)

• Premium Member

New to the forums, new to motorcycling, new to the FZ-07. MSF course scheduled for next week, full set of gear on the way. I'm in NY on Long Island... I got a quote for $8,000 OTD from one guy who wanted to do business but he didn't have and couldn't get the color I wanted. Ended up agreeing on $8,500 OTD with another dealer WITH a $510 2 Year "Extended Warranty" included. So if that warranty is real... I'm actually really happy. I got my own financing through my credit union at a decent rate. What do you guys think?

$7,130.05 Bike
$510 2 Year Extended Warranty
$25 Documentation
$658.95 Sales Tax
$5.00 Waste Tire Management Fee
$6.00 NYS Inspection Fee
$85.00 Plate, Title, Reg DMV Fee
$25 NY State MTA Fee
$55 Random arbitraty fee that says "THIS IS NOT A DMV FEE" LOL

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

I think I did alright here in Alberta - I got mine for $7777.41 OTD. If you take the exchange rate into account (Does it work that way with vehicles/bikes?) It would work out to $6421. I kind of busted the dealers balls a bit before we got to that price though ;)
Yep. You did good. You guys pay less tax than we do in B.C. Appears your dealer ate the freight and pdi as did mine. 
I *never* pay freight/pdi and most dealers will throw in accessories or give you a smokin deal on them.
I *never* take the bike back in for its first service. Why pay 200 bucks for an apprentice to change the oil and over tighten the chain?

Bike dealers are no different than car dealers. "We don't make any money on these". "There is only a couple hundred bucks markup". Its all bullshat.
Car and bike dealers are not in business to sell products for no profit. We will never know the true amount they make. This is a deep dark secret.
They can't buy and maintain those fancy premises on high priced real estate on "parts and the shop" or " we do ok selling the used stuff".

• Premium Member

OTD: $6500.. $7500.. $8300...
Well, it appears to be all over the place, but we have one thing in common. Now we all own FZ-07s!
Isn't life (as Tony the Tiger would say) GRRRRRRRRRREAT!
I know I didn't get the best deal, but someone else is always gonna come up with a better deal, and besides, it's the internet!
Are people really posting what the bottom line number is after absolutely everything? Who knows... Maybe that's why you're "deal" doesn't look as good in comparison. Forget about it. It's done, it's over, you made the deal. Now enjoy!

Why can't left turners see us?

OTD: $6500.. $7500.. $8300... Well, it appears to be all over the place, but we have one thing in common. Now we all own FZ-07s!
I know I didn't get the best deal, but someone else is always gonna come up with a better deal, and besides, it's the internet!
Are people really posting what the bottom line number is after absolutely everything? Who knows... Maybe that's why you're "deal" doesn't look as good in comparison. Forget about it. It's done, it's over, you made the deal. Now enjoy!
Good Call rowdy, the truth is I could have paid another 2 grand and would still feel good - It's an awesome bike, and my favorite thing I have *EVER* owned. Now if only it would quit SNOWING so I could ride it!! >:D

• Global Moderator

Waste tire management fee? Don't you want the tires? I decided to keep the tires on mine. :)

bmwpowere36m3
OTD: $6500.. $7500.. $8300... Well, it appears to be all over the place, but we have one thing in common. Now we all own FZ-07s!
I think the biggest variable is sales tax.  Since we have no "control" over that and it varies by state and is typically a high percentage of the bike's sales price.  To a lesser degree would be registration.

I think a better comparison would be for everyone to post their OTD price and include the amount they paid in sales tax.  That way you get an idea what they paid for the bike including any additional fees (such as prep, shipping, documentation, etc…).  Then you can "readjust" the OTD price for your local sales tax.

bmwpowere36m3
New to the forums, new to motorcycling, new to the FZ-07. MSF course scheduled for next week, full set of gear on the way. I'm in NY on Long Island... I got a quote for $8,000 OTD from one guy who wanted to do business but he didn't have and couldn't get the color I wanted. Ended up agreeing on $8,500 OTD with another dealer WITH a $510 2 Year "Extended Warranty" included. So if that warranty is real... I'm actually really happy. I got my own financing through my credit union at a decent rate. What do you guys think? 
$7,130.05 Bike
$510 2 Year Extended Warranty
$25 Documentation
$658.95 Sales Tax
$5.00 Waste Tire Management Fee
$6.00 NYS Inspection Fee
$85.00 Plate, Title, Reg DMV Fee
$25 NY State MTA Fee
$55 Random arbitraty fee that says "THIS IS NOT A DMV FEE" LOL
Technically is not included since your paying $500 more (than the other dealer)… but the fees seem reasonable.  I guess you could try and haggle the bike price (7,130.05).  Really the only thing you can do is get firm quotes from a few different dealers and go from there.

It comes down to supply/demand and adjustment for region.  Living in CT, I know that generally things are priced on the higher-end than compared to say VA.  Seems the same holds true in CA, but they also have high-sales tax (I believe, 9%?) so that skews the OTD price.

• Premium Member
I think the biggest variable is sales tax.  Since we have no "control" over that and it varies by state and is typically a high percentage of the bike's sales price.  To a lesser degree would be registration. 

I think a better comparison would be for everyone to post their OTD price and include the amount they paid in sales tax.  That way you get an idea what they paid for the bike including any additional fees (such as prep, shipping, documentation, etc…).  Then you can "readjust" the OTD price for your local sales tax.

I think you may have missed my point.  

Why can't left turners see us?

bmwpowere36m3

I think you may have missed my point.
No, I get it... people should be happy they have a FZ-07.
For prospective buyers, like myself, this gives a good indication of what these bikes are selling for. Granted its worth whatever you're willing to pay... but for example, if NO ONE is buying a FZ-07 at $6k OTD, you can't expect to pay that.  Like you said it seems to vary from $6.5k to almost 10k in some cases... that's a HUGE difference.  I would have expected a $1-1.5k difference.  That's why I mentioned sales tax.

paulibiker

Heard $6300-$6400 was dealer cost, but saw a dealer selling for $6198 with no additional fees. Would be nice to know true cost.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Man looking at some of these quotes are outrageous. .. i just got a quote from a california dealer for $10.280 bucks, but he would give me a smoking deal out the door for $9685!!!! Lol!!!!

Edit... for a fz-07 not the z-09

graphitegraves

I just got mine paid 8130 out the door....sales tax is 9% and they brought the price of the bike down to 6350 and they wouldn't budge on shipping and set up msrp with tags and tax alone cane to 7700 so I feel I got a decent deal and I'm in the Seattle area Washington state

Archived