The MT-07 Forum

The "I dropped my bike, because of some stupid stuff" club

jeffkisthename

Ok, here a good head shaker of "what did you do?". Was showing a newer then me rider what the dreaded figure 8 in a box was in a empty loading area. I did not take into account that as I moved closer to the road that it was crowned for runoff. As I made the second turn the bike it didn't want to come up, gave it a little too much gas with the clutch and she shot upright and strait for the curb. I did the oh shot break grab and tried to turn. I dropped it right before hitting the curb. Other then a bent clutch and some scrapes on the sliders no worse for wear, more upset with myself. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Ok, here a good head shaker of "what did you do?". Was showing a newer then me rider what the dreaded figure 8 in a box was in a empty loading area. I did not take into account that as I moved closer to the road that it was crowned for runoff. As I made the second turn the bike it didn't want to come up, gave it a little too much gas with the clutch and she shot upright and strait for the curb. I did the oh shot break grab and tried to turn. I dropped it right before hitting the curb. Other then a bent clutch and some scrapes on the sliders no worse for wear, more upset with myself. 
Welcome to the club buddy!

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Well I was out riding with my buddies you see, doing all manner of hooligan activities. After coming down from a wheelie I see that the road ahead is closed, and I'm heading for the sign that says so. Now for the life of me I can't figure out why, but I don't turn away from the sign. I don't slow down. I had ample time to pick either one of those options, but failed to do so and ran head on into the sign. Luckily I had managed to grab a bit of the front brake as I made contact, but it was too little too late. I was in the air, holding on to the bars. Somehow, miraculously I managed to land both of my feet squarely on the left side of the bike and not drop it. Now all that remains of the incident is a small crack in the side of the front fender, and the constant reminders that my riding buddies so willingly dole out. So I guess I technically didn't actually drop my bike, but I figured the level of stupidity qualifies me for an honorary membership.
Stupid, but no drop. You have to drop it first LOL!!!

SigSide.jpg

Simbadc650

Only time I laid down my lady is when I bust her throttle!!!

Ok I was going back to where I took my mSF course to try and show off my Scully, came on a road where did not see the closed sign, had to make a sudden u turn.well let's just say my newb arse did not do the Uturn well enough dropped her going up hill, frame slider and mirrors took the blunt of it but picking her fatarse on a hill was light. Might of been the might of my ego lifting my beauty for my stupidity or the laughter of the MSF course pointing at me.

This is one club I don't want to join but I will share a story from my days as a newbling. I had taken a step up from riding mini bikes to riding (my best friends) a Honda 70 [attachment id=1706" thumbnail="1] that had 5 gears and a clutch. I learned to shift in a gravel parking lot and I came real close to dropping it then but was lucky and never did. When it came to learning how to do a "stand up on the pegs wheelie" I really goofed! We were at a baseball diamond (lots of gravel) where after watching my friend (skilled friend) do it with great success and apparent ease I had to try it, it looked easy! Anyway, I came over a small rise in the road from a culvert. I was standing and pulled back on the handlebars (too hard) and hit the gas at the same time to pull the wheelie but instead my hands came off the grips, the handlebars turned to one side and locked and I endoed and tumbled to a stop. I had a dirty tire track across the front of my t-shirt which baffled me. I didn't remember getting ran over but it all happened so fast. I wasn't uninjured except for a few small chunks of gravel embedded in my skin and some small scrapes, a little blood. That taught me how not to pull a wheelie.

I will probably join the club fairly soon, though. Just yesterday some dumb yahoo about my age thought he had the right to enter a highway before it was clear and pull in front of me to make his left turn (blocking me from making my left turn.) I was in the Toyata and nothing happened but I'm afraid some idiot is going to get me on my bike one day.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Only time I laid down my lady is when I bust her throttle!!! 

Ok I was going back to where I took my mSF course to try and show off my Scully, came on a road where did not see the closed sign, had to make a sudden u turn.well let's just say my newb arse did not do the Uturn well enough dropped her going up hill, frame slider and mirrors took the blunt of it but picking her fatarse on a hill was light. Might of been the might of my ego lifting my beauty for my stupidity or the laughter of the MSF course pointing at me.
Welcome to the club Simba!

SigSide.jpg

Recently dropped my bike, had a pillion that refused to get on the bike on the left drives me insane, I got on was expecting her to get on the left so I was going to move the bike back make it easier while I did that she hopped on the right and down we went was able to set her down slowly, all things considered only thing that touched was my frame slider was able to pick her back up no real damage. The pillion gets on only on the left now haha.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Recently dropped my bike, had a pillion that refused to get on the bike on the left drives me insane, I got on was expecting her to get on the left so I was going to move the bike back make it easier while I did that she hopped on the right and down we went was able to set her down slowly, all things considered only thing that touched was my frame slider was able to pick her back up no real damage. The pillion gets on only on the left now haha.
Welcome to the club @motocr!!!

SigSide.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hello everyone:
I have not dropped my Fz07 (yet, I might add). It's going to happen. It's got two wheels!
On the other hand, I have dropped all the other motorcycles I have owned since I turned 50...Thank heaven I was not moving much either times.

My first bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan 800A. Id dropped it at the mall. While parked. Without moving. Great. Nothing hurt (bike and me), except my pride.

The second one was scary, but still worked out ok. My driveway is gravel, with stone walls on each side. My car was parked in the driveway so I decided to be lazy and tried to squeeeze my 1300 Yamaha Tourer between the right side of the car and the wall.
That bike was nice but HEAVY (over 700 lb). I lose footing on my right foot on the gravel and the bike ever so slowly leans right and pins my right leg against the wall.
Luckily I had my cell phone in my left pocket and my son was at home, otherwise I'd still be there.

Here's hoping that next drop will be of similar variety.
Marco

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

Here's hoping that next drop will be of similar variety.

Nah.  The FZ-07 is a completely different beast.  I'm a tiny weakling and picking it back up is no big deal.  I still don't have the skill to put my foot down and try to save it when it's going over, though.

Now I'm actually a fully fledged member. I went to do a stoppie and came down on the right side. Sliders and hand guards did their job, luckily nothing is damaged. On the other hand about an hour later my buddy looped his bike and mangled his bars, exhaust, front wheel, and license plate. Fun stuff!

• Premium Member

Does it count if a woman at a parallel parking lot at Starbucks took up two spaces getting out, thus backing into my front tire knocking the bike over on the high-side? Then, she started to drive off... NOT!!! I flew off the veranda and commenced banging on her Honda's deck-lid before she got gone. Her insurance adjuster was just here yesterday afternoon and decided probably about $600 damage.

Frankly, I was very pleasantly surprised at how little damage there was when I lifted the bike... mainly a scrape on the exhaust heat-shield ($200+) and the bar-end weight. The insurance adjuster was a serious car guy and we got to swapping stories about the Kenne Bell supercharged cars we each had and other assorted vehicular silliness. He was great with the assessment, noting a several VERY minor things I'd never have mentioned.

So, parts ordered and all is well... or soon should be!

(Follow-up... bike is healed and I just got an $870 insurance check)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, first post on the forum happens to be in this thread, little bit of fml. Stupid stuff alright, parking at the grocery store, didn't kick the stand quite hard enough and before I realized it had snapped back up, it was too late. check out my clutch lever, it got turned into a devil horn hehe. sooo, shortys or standards? ;)

20160616_174139_zps62dghned.jpg

• Premium Member
check out my clutch lever, it got turned into a devil horn hehe. 
I haven't seen that clutch lever before. Must be the new 2017 model  (rofl)

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Welcome to the club @lybrium!

SigSide.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • Premium Member

A month ago I was about to going riding with a buddy. He's outside my building waiting and I come out and as we're about to leave, first thing I do is drop my bIke. He's been the guy I've ridden least with but anytime something has happened he's always been there.
The funny thing was it didn't even fall on me cause I knew the drop was coming and realized I want going to be able to catch it so I just moved out of the way.
just one of those moments.

I dropped my bike , or rather it fell over because the soil was soft and it just fell over when I walked away

mjdavis1994

I go every weekend to a gated MSF Course and practice just about everything from wheelies to leaning. After a few weekends of scraping the feeler pegs I removed them and wanted to see how far I could lean without them (it's actually a lot more lol) well I went around the course a few times and was scraping the foot peg and was curios what it looked like. So I took my GoPro off and set it up to find out. Laid it down as soon as I started recording (go figure eh?). Well here's the aftermath. Not that bad thankfully the first mod I did was frame sliders (which I highly recommend) No damage to my gear and the only damage to the bike was a scraped up handle bar end, frame slider, and bent gear selector which I bent back when I got home. Not really mad being that I was testing the waters and was on a closed course. Live and ya learn. Frame sliders replaced and instead of new bar ends I purchased a drag bar, bar end mirrors, and black shift lever. 
aVcwGHHU9cc

[video src=https://youtu.be/YxcLA88bxu4]

Now this is what it looks like :P

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

I went to park the bike and forgot to put the kickstand down. By the time I realized something wasn't right, we were going down.

I went to park the bike and forgot to put the kickstand down. By the time I realized something wasn't right, we were going down.
The power of beer! :D  Get off bike and run to the fridge! 

Beemer

• Premium Member

THREAD REVIVAL!

I can add. I dropped the Duc due to wet leaves and a high ridged road. SO I've dropped every bike I've owned now. GOOD TIMES

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I'm in the club. Stopped on my drive to take a picture of the bike, then tried to do a slow U-Turn. My drive has a very steep pitch and is also un-paved and very uneven. Too little throttle and tried to save the bike going downhill on the left side.... I "gently" laid her down on the rocks and dirt. Small scratches on the bar end; clutch lever, and left frame slider. Most of the damage done was to my pride.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@mjdavis1994 , @guylee , @Zephyr you have been added to the club!

SigSide.jpg

The power of beer! :D  Get off bike and run to the fridge!
I can neither confirm nor deny that this happened in front of the liquor store. 

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
THREAD REVIVAL! 
I can add. I dropped the Duc due to wet leaves and a high ridged road. SO I've dropped every bike I've owned now. GOOD TIMES
I've dropped my FZ1 very softly as well. Only bent my foot brake lever which I bent right back into place ?

SigSide.jpg

Archived