The MT-07 Forum

The "I dropped my bike, because of some stupid stuff" club

jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Hello family/community!!!

Welcome to the "I dropped my bike, because of stupid stuff" club thread!!!  Here, you can choose to be a member of the elite club of those who have made stupid decisions, stupidly forgot to make a decision, and just plain let stupid happen.  This thread was created to allow us to share the pain and experience(s) of dropping our dearly beloved MT/FZ-07s.  Stories of bad wheelying, forgotten kick stands, and slipping on banana peels ensue after this thread is created haha.  If you choose to be a part of this club, you are able to tally a number next to your name for every incident you involve you and your beautiful bike in. (rofl)

I'll start.

A week after completing the California MSF Course,  I came home after work and took the bike out.  I wanted to take the bike out and take nice photos of her with my Nikon D5500 in some farm scenery.  Everything was going fine until I was coming to a stop at a location I thought would be cool.  I was all giddy inside and was slowing to my right.  I forgot that it had rained in the morning and was coming up on some dirt gravel at 10 mph.  As I was slowing down, the rear end came sliding out while I was brake and I low sided.  The only damage to the bike was a hurt ego and some scrapped handle bar ends.  Me on the other hand, I had a bruise on my leg for two-three weeks.  I now never try to slow down in that kind of surface after a morning of rain. Beginners mistake that could have been a lot worse.

Club Members:

1. JEFFKISTHENAME - Club President
2. sorkyah - Club Vice President
3. Tylerjanebr - Sergeant-at-arms
4. i2837856393
5. maybe07
6. 12ival
7. hobbs (3) - 1st Multiple Offender
8. sane
9. andistyr
10. Bucaro_FZ07
11. biggaudi
12. wickedtwister (2)
13. fivefootthree
14. Motomeek
15. oneyellowbird (3)
16. 5tonfan
17. Simbadc650
18. motocr
19. lybrium
20. mjdavis1994
21. guylee
22. Zephyr

SigSide.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

@jeffkisthename
mmm wet gravel... what a lovely breakfast... does it taste anything like grape-nuts?

Stupid moments in my FZ history

1. More the bike's fault than mine... bike idling reversing down driveway, put the kickstand down, got off & walked into the garage to grab helmet. No sooner did i clasp the helmet and turn around did i see the bike spilling over to the left into the dirt. Kickstand wouldnt lock out fully because the tech that did my 600mi service overtightened it. (It was loose from factory)
broken left stock mirror was result (hit the only bush in my front yard)

2. Pulling into parking lot at work, let my focus drift a bit too long on a bright orange gatorade bottlecap. Instead of avoiding it, I beelined for it and used it as a brake, low siding at <4mph broken shifter toepiece, scratched bar end sliders and bruised ego

3. Pulling out from my subdivision, front tire hit a patch of oil while making a left turn, low sided at ~15mph. bike hit a curb and bounced over to the other side. According to the gf I dislocated my left shoulder, road rash on both knees and a bit of damage to the bike itself
1d99fbe921e273a2e590eccfc2ed0008.jpg
Scratched Front fender, headlamp lens, tank panels, air scoop, left seat cover, and left signal
bent bar and bar clamps
shifter assy is bent, the bracket it bolts to is bent against the swingarm and the frame slider is ground down

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@sorkyah you gonna finally try some Woodcraft Clip-ons?

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

"I dropped my bike, because of some stupid stuff"
stupid stuff = me :D

here's my story:
Took the MSF course and learned on a 125cc bike. That was the only experience I had and I decided to get an FZ-07.
Got a buddy who's been riding for years so he decided to help me learn.We had initially tossed my bike on his truck and taken it to his house when I had purchased it. About a block away from his house was an empty parking lot so we figured this was a good place to learn. It was in a residential neighborhood so we decided that we'd each ride our own bikes down.
Cruised downhill down his street without using the throttle and we stopped at the stop sign and waited until there weren't any cars in sight. All I had to do was make a left turn and drive down a block and I would have been at the parking lot.
Well... too much coffee and adrenaline (all the wheelie stuff I had been read about and this was a 700CC bike) and not having proper clutch control, I opened the throttle and let go of the clutch only to be jerked forward. Instead of pulling in the clutch, since this wasn't a natural response yet, I accidentally let go of it and went straight for the curb that was about 15 feet in front of me, hit it, and dropped the bike. I only ended up breaking the end of the clutch lever and didn't do myself any harm.
My buddy's was super nice about it. He parked his bike, got on mine, made me hop on the back and rode us down the block to a safe place and gave me pointers as I practiced all day.
That was my first experience with my FZ-07. :)   
I'm definitely not the batshet crazy teenager that I used to be anymore.

• Global Moderator
@sorkyah you gonna finally try some Woodcraft Clip-ons?
Not sure
depends what the insurance company says

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

cookfreeordie89

I had a xt225 and it was early spring, so there was still a bunch of sand on the ground. I was trying to find a place to eat, so I pulled into a parking lot to look up a restaurant and I was making the turn and the front end went and dropped the bike. Scrapped the new hand guards I installed.

Later in life a restored a 73 Yamaha cs3 125 2stroke and on her maiden voyage I forgot to adjust the front drum brake and going down the street I tried to slow down, and to my dread. The lever went straight to the grip and I ended up slamming the rear brake and slid the rear till I came to a stop. Lesson learned!!

• Premium Member

[attachment id=1634" thumbnail="1]

Although the picture here shows my bike blown down by a windstorm in Bellingham, Washington, it isn't my application to the club. Just before moving to Bellingham, I was using a tire crayon to paint the letters. I was using a small block of wood under the kickstand to make the bike more upright, and of course, I pushed the bike over. Luckily, it fell on some bicycles, and nothing was damaged. But the bicycles made it difficult to get under the bike to lift it, and I had to wait for my neighbor to get home to help me lift it. There, now I feel better.

The day i bought my bike. i take a mile down the rode to fill it up. Stop at the pump, started to get off and.....Timber! guess the noob forgot to put the kickstand down...lol...neither the bike nor i were hurt.... except for my pride...lol

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I had a xt225 and it was early spring, so there was still a bunch of sand on the ground. I was trying to find a place to eat, so I pulled into a parking lot to look up a restaurant and I was making the turn and the front end went and dropped the bike. Scrapped the new hand guards I installed.  
Later in life a restored a 73 Yamaha cs3 125 2stroke and on her maiden voyage I forgot to adjust the front drum brake and going down the street I tried to slow down, and to my dread. The lever went straight to the grip and I ended up slamming the rear brake and slid the rear till I came to a stop. Lesson learned!!

Was that first drop you mentioned on your MT/FZ?

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@i2837856393, @maybe07 & @12ival, welcome to the club!

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Low speed navigation to a gas pump in a crowded gas station. Too much front brake plus some gaddamn cat litter with the bars cocked far right.

Nothing hurt, but pretty embarassing. Nice to know the 7 or 8 people getting gas were fantastic human beings who offered all kinds of assistance by sitting and staring intently.

Then 2 drops in the gravel driveway. 1 caused by wet, soft ground. The other my in-laws puppy was up in my shet and caused a fall. Shoved the dog out of the way as I tumbled.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Welcome to the club @hobbs. You're our first multi incident to bike to report.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Two weeks or so after getting the bike I was wheeling it into my garage from a gravel driveway when it slide and fell away from me. 
The tail clipped the doorframe as it went down. 

At the time, the combination of gravel and a recent back injury made picking it back up a bit of an ordeal. Nothing but some scratches on the tail and the right hand side frame slider.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Welcome to the club @sane!

SigSide.jpg

After owning the bike for 4 days. I was backing out of the garage to go to work. Got off the bike to go back into the garage and forgot to put the kickstand down. So over the bike went. It broke of the peg under the footpeg and bent the clutch level up. This is the third motorcycle I have owned and the first time I did that.

20150303130036-25b29a25-la.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Welcome to the club @andistyr!

I knew there was gonna be a kickstand story.

SigSide.jpg

Bucaro_FZ07

Was at the blueridge mountains, my first long ride, in a slow corner, didn't realize there was some gravel and used the rear brake (still don't know why) when I saw it, bike slided and hit a small curb that was outside the corner, my cooling tubes are scratched (haven't had the time $$ to fix it) and the exhaust sleeve is all scratched.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@dmedina welcome to the club!

SigSide.jpg

Bucaro_FZ07

thanks @jeffkisthename.
Saving money to fix the cooling tubes and buy a yoshimura or akra, and bubble plastic to wrap the bike.

Hi, my name is Tyler Jane, and I dropped my bike.

First time, I was going down a hill that was turning left and I hit a massive bump that tossed my butt up off the seat. Right as that happened, I see there's an intersection coming up and the light is red. I had to perform an emergency stop which, all things considered, went pretty well. But I ended up sliding half-way into the intersection. After I come to a stop I go to put my foot down, but remember how the road was going downhill turning left? Well the ground was pretty far away, and I couldn't keep it up. Down it went. Right in the middle of the intersection, having just come to an awkward sliding stop. Sucky!

Another time, I was waiting in a parking lot with my turn signal on waiting for someone to leave their spot. I see this jackass come up from the other direction and try to take the spot. So I rev it up a bit and go to slide into the spot before him, but the parking spot was covered in wet leaves. Slipped right out from under me. SO mad at that guy. He had the gall to come up to me and ask "are you gonna take that spot" while my bike was still on it's side in front of the spot. FU, buddy.

Most recent was two nights ago on a twisty road that I mentioned in another thread. Just taking a slight turn off the road but it was downhill and I lost it again.

I've been in a few other accidents and collisions, some minor, one not-so-minor. But those are for a different club I guess.

So do we get little medallions like AA for how many months we don't have a drop?

Bucaro_FZ07

hahaha the medallions idea is good @TylerJaneBr or it can be smiley faces stickers, those can be used to cover scratches on the bike.
On the good side, there is no shame on falling, even GP riders do it and they do it for a living.

• Premium Member

Had the bike for a few days and being a newbie in general decided it would be wise to just take it for a slow spin around my neighborhood, doing some u-turns and working on smooth breaking. However, I had just gotten back from a longer ride and already removed my gear. Now I'm wearing shorts and sneakers.

I go out, do my little exercises, pull back into my driveway. I forget to put the kick stand down and got off my bike. Bike goes down and my right leg, mainly my calf, is touching the hot engine for a good while as I panic, trying to balance myself and wrench the bike up. Feeler broke on that side, but the bad part was the burn on my calf about the size of a silver dollar that took a month to heal.

Learned multiple lessons that day. And I was glad I bought a light bike.

Can't say I really dropped my fz07 by being dumb but all of my other bikes yes.

First bike was a zx6r I was pulling out of our yard into the driveway, front tire washed out on some wet leaves, dust myself off. I try to go on my way but it being cold out and the adrenaline still pumping, I give it a little too much throttle turning left by the house and high side it, all within about 5 minutes of the first spill.

My next bike was a supermoto and low sided on some sand while coming into the neighborhood a little hot. No damage, just some bushes because my bike flipped up into a yard.

And lastly and most recent that was my fault, I had my CBR on a rear stand and ended up knocking it over into my wife's car. No damage to the bike, but a couple small dents in her car.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

@tylerjanebr you've been in this club...I just needed your story telling LOL

SigSide.jpg

Archived