The MT-07 Forum

Anyone drill their stock exhaust ?

dony

@eraser8, no I didn't run it without the heat shield, I stuck it on right after drilling the holes

Yeah I'm about 99% sure I'll never get an aftermarket exhaust. At this point it would just be for looks and that's not worth $400+ to me, especially considering it'd probably be too loud for my tastes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@eraser8 , no I didn't run it without the heat shield, I stuck it on right after drilling the holes 
Yeah I'm about 99% sure I'll never get an aftermarket exhaust. At this point it would just be for looks and that's not worth $400+ to me, especially considering it'd probably be too loud for my tastes
I'm thinking exactly like you. I will not spend d many hundred buck just for the look

topazsparrow
and weight... not that its much (maybe a few pounds).
Someone weight the stock exhaust in at 18 lbs or so. So, yea maybe saving 10 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my bike last week, I'm wanting some sound out of the bike but I'm not so sure about drilling holes. This bike was also my first "New" one. Could it damage the bike in some way? Such as sensors and what not?

bmwpowere36m3

The holes themselves wont damage anything… Exhaust gases will being directed behind the muffler tip/heat-shield, which I'm not fond of. However the person drilling the holes can cause damage… unlikely, but anything is possible. The only sensor in the exhaust is the O2 sensor and that's up under the engine (so far away from where you're drilling).

@fxdbisam , the bike supposedly runs a few degrees cooler after the holes are drilled. I felt no performance difference at all. If you don't like the idea of the exterior holes check out my post here from page 2 of this thread where I propose cutting out a chunk of the final pipe, which I would theorize would be louder than multiple small exterior holes but would avoid the exterior holes

@fxdbisam by the way I didn't actually go this route, I did the hole drilling too and was very happy with the results. Opening the exhaust was just an option I was theorizing but decided against it because I thought it might be too loud for my tastes and it cost $60 from my local welder vs free holes with my drill

topazsparrow

Rather than opening it up, you could drill a large hole INSIDE the main pipe. This would allow a partial bypass of the last baffle (like the outer holes method) but not require you to perform surgery on the muffler.

It's probably too deep to get a hole saw in there realistically, but I bet you could fine some long drill bits and work your way up in size pretty easy.

Something like this would surely work: https://www.amazon.ca/Irwin-39108-2-Inch-18-Inch-Installer/dp/B00004YO6F

@topazsparrow I considered that option heavily but without buying something I didn't have a long drill bit to do it. Plus you have to abuse the drill and drill bit a little because you're significantly side-cutting, the pipe going into the can takes a really slow curve so there's no flat surface to really press into to drill the hole. I even tried using a long punch to a make a pilot mark of sorts and it barely made a dent.

• 3 weeks later...
topazsparrow
@topazsparrow I considered that option heavily but without buying something I didn't have a long drill bit to do it. Plus you have to abuse the drill and drill bit a little because you're significantly side-cutting, the pipe going into the can takes a really slow curve so there's no flat surface to really press into to drill the hole. I even tried using a long punch to a make a pilot mark of sorts and it barely made a dent.
I just drilled mine today. It sounds a little better - not louder, but growlier from idle to 4k, then it sounds just like before.

I tried using a 3/4 inch hole saw first (you'll see the marks in the video) but quickly found out there's a slight bend to the pipe before the "main" part of the muffler. I just grabbed the next size down hole saw, removed the drill piece from the chuck and then grabbed a 6 inch long 1/2inch fine thread bold and slid it in. Took a little while with some gently pressure and eventually I was through. I left the piece attached (shaped like a bunny ear sort of inside) and bent it out to open the hole without worrying about loose pieces in the muffler.

B5Wj5e5.jpg

HzieFvk.jpg

• Premium Member

The last few posts reminded me of this old joke....

THE GYNECOLOGIST WHO BECAME A MECHANIC
A gynecologist had become fed up with malpractice insurance and HMO paperwork,
and was burned out. Hoping to try another career where skillful hands would be
beneficial, he decided to become a mechanic. He went to the local technical
college, signed up for evening classes, attended diligently, and learned all he
could.
When the time of the practical exam approached, the gynecologist prepared
carefully for weeks, and completed the exam with tremendous skill. When the
results came back, he was surprised to find that he had obtained a score of
150%. Fearing an error, he called the Instructor, saying, “I don’t want to
appear ungrateful for such an outstanding result, but I wonder if there is an
error in the grade?”
“The instructor said, “During the exam, you took the engine apart perfectly,
which was worth 50% of the total mark. You put the engine back together again
perfectly, which is also worth 50% of the mark.”
After a pause, the instructor added, “I gave you an extra 50% because you did it
all through the muffler, which I’ve never seen done in my entire career”.

- Andy

I just drilled mine today. It sounds a little better - not louder, but growlier from idle to 4k, then it sounds just like before. 
I tried using a 3/4 inch hole saw first (you'll see the marks in the video) but quickly found out there's a slight bend to the pipe before the "main" part of the muffler. I just grabbed the next size down hole saw, removed the drill piece from the chuck and then grabbed a 6 inch long 1/2inch fine thread bold and slid it in. Took a little while with some gently pressure and eventually I was through. I left the piece attached (shaped like a bunny ear sort of inside) and bent it out to open the hole without worrying about loose pieces in the muffler.

B5Wj5e5.jpg

HzieFvk.jpg

This Video I look forward to!  Been really thinking about doing this, you may just push me over the edge @topazsparrow

• 1 month later...

Guys posting two videos here:

First I drilled a hole with a 1/2 inch drill bit, the sound was ok but not loud enough

Than I decided to drill holes on the outside, started with 4 holes, than drilled a 5th one, sounds so much better IMO.

I just drilled 6 3/8 holes today. It sounds "alright." 6 holes gets it pretty loud. Definitely doesn't sound as nice as an aftermarket system but it will get me through until I can afford one. I am planning on just getting the M4 so I didn't mind drilling the stocker. I have to chop the muffler off for the M4 anyways.

I drilled holes in my old bike's (Yamaha Raider) stock exhaust and it didn't sound bad at all. If you drill directly into the headers it might, but if drill into the "muffler" area as shown in the video above it will be fine. It improved the sound of my Raider's exhaust for sure, though it still very obviously had a "stock" sound. 
With such small changes you won't notice a difference at all in performance/fuel economy.

And many people think fart cans on civics sound good too.  ;)
Bwhahaha so true! 

That's how I would describe the sound. It's very "fart can like." I wouldn't do it unless you are planning to change out your exhaust anyway.

After riding a R3 for the last week, I can see why people get frustrated with the 07 sound. There is nothing awe inspiring about the stock sound at all.

The R3 sounds like a banshee wailing with the stock pipe.

• 2 weeks later...
After riding a R3 for the last week, I can see why people get frustrated with the 07 sound. There is nothing awe inspiring about the stock sound at all.  
The R3 sounds like a banshee wailing with the stock pipe.

I did it just to drown out the sound of the chain. Tension and alignment are perfect...you should hear the damn thing ZING from the rear sprocket when I run it on it's stand.  
I have a hard time justifying spending 1/6 of the total purchase price of the bike on a damn exhaust set up. Maybe it'll wear out the flimsy cover in a year or two and motivate me to buy an aftermarket setup...maybe they'll come down in price by then when a new gen is introduced as well.

Yes, i drilled 6x3/8" holes. Much improved growl at idle and low RPMs. For the most part its still just as quiet at cruising speeds. Its louder but doesnt sound as good as aftermarket pipes.

2016 FZ07 - LOVING IT!!
2003 R6 - SOLD
2006 FZ6 - SOLD

Yes, i drilled 6x3/8" holes. Much improved growl at idle and low RPMs. For the most part its still just as quiet at cruising speeds. Its louder but doesnt sound as good as aftermarket pipes.
I wonder if drilling the actual pipe that comes from the converter or chopping off all together changed the sound much while still allowing proper emissions.

I wonder if drilling the actual pipe that comes from the converter or chopping off all together changed the sound much while still allowing proper emissions.
It's been done before. The guys who tried drilling inside the pipe ended up drilling the 6 - 3/8" holes anyway because it made little difference. Chopping off altogether? Like straight piping it?? 
There's no need to wonder if straight piping it would change the sound or allowed proper emissions. lol

Archived