The MT-07 Forum

Anyone drill their stock exhaust ?

dony

• Premium Member

I know the best option is after market but can this be done without sacrificing performance or fuel economy? Thanks. I have seen other posts where guys have drilled holes near where the pipe comes out and was wondering how it effects the way the bike runs?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
twowheeladdict

Have you ever heard a leaky exhaust on an old truck or car? Do you like the sound when it drives by your yard? If you answer yes, then go for it.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Not sure if you saw this video of a FZ-07 owner that drilled his stock exhaust, but here it is:
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp8xCzAE16c]

Looks like he converted the cover to an exhaust pipe. Dumb.

I don't know what the opening is like where the exhaust pipe meets muffler but sometimes you can punch out the hole.

twowheeladdict
Have you ever heard a leaky exhaust on an old truck or car? Do you like the sound when it drives by your yard? If you answer yes, then go for it.
I drilled holes in my old bike's (Yamaha Raider) stock exhaust and it didn't sound bad at all. If you drill directly into the headers it might, but if drill into the "muffler" area as shown in the video above it will be fine. It improved the sound of my Raider's exhaust for sure, though it still very obviously had a "stock" sound. 
With such small changes you won't notice a difference at all in performance/fuel economy.

And many people think fart cans on civics sound good too.  ;) 

2015 FZ-07

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up. I currently drilled 4 hole 3/8" size. The sound is amazingly better than stock. Maybe not as much than an Akrapovic Titanium but hey! It cost me nothing!!! I would say I have 80% the sound of an akrapovic with baffle in. The only thing that botther me is, when I put on my heat shield, it makes some crappy can resonating sound. To try fixing that, I ordered a can of high temp silicone spray. I will spray that inside the heat shield and hope that the silicon will attenuate the resonating sound.

I'll keep you inform about that.

The only thing that botther me is, when I put on my heat shield, it makes some crappy can resonating sound. To try fixing that, I ordered a can of high temp silicone spray. I will spray that inside the heat shield and hope that the silicon will attenuate the resonating sound. 
I'll keep you inform about that.

Thanks for being a guinea pig! I can't really afford a new exhaust system and I've had luck modifying stock exhaust on other bikes so I was going to give it a shot when I pick up my FZ07. Could the resonating sound be metal shavings produced from drilling stuck inside? Any chance you could upload some pictures of what you did?

Thanks for being a guinea pig! I can't really afford a new exhaust system and I've had luck modifying stock exhaust on other bikes so I was going to give it a shot when I pick up my FZ07. Could the resonating sound be metal shavings produced from drilling stuck inside? Any chance you could upload some pictures of what you did?
Hi, Here is a pic of the 4X  3/8" holes. 

4%20holes%20of%203-8%20in_zpscdplsyhk.jpg

About the vibration, I shouldn't say the word "vibration" it is simply a resonating heat shield tole sound. I test it while the bike running by putting and removing it.

Will keep update when I will receive the silicone.

BTW, I forget to tell that the bike run cooler about 5-6 degree C and also, the bike run well. The OEM ECU seems to do well job by adjusting the AFR. Absolutely no complaint about that. I noticed some small pop when I get off the throttle but this seems to be exactly the same than stock but just louder. If you pay attention with the stock exhaust, you have some little pop on decompression but they are harder to ear since the exhaust is really quiet.

I drilled 6 3/8 holes and it sounds so much better.  Yeah, its ghetto and Eraser8 hit it on the 'vibration' noise.  At idle its audible but driving down the road I cant hear it.  It is literally exhausting through the cover now and I wouldnt expect that to hold up well over time.  For me, its a temporary thing as I will be ordering exhaust in the next few weeks.  

My butt dyno doesnt feel any power loss or any negatives.  I believe it has slightly less engine breaking now which is a good thing in my opinion.  Not a drastic change but it just feels like it has slightly less engine breaking.

No deceleration popping or backfires.

topazsparrow

I get that it seems a bit janky, but the exhausts for this bike are ridiculously overpriced right now. Plus for anyone that wants to keep their cat intact, it's a viable option to mode the stock system.

I don't think drilling holes is the way to go tbh, but properly modding the stock unit can be done relatively easily and still look very good.

Here's a few of my favorite links on the matter.
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/fz-07-mods/
http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/10166-how-modify-stock-exhaust-hard-mode.html
http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/1020-how-modify-your-stock-exhaust.html

A few people have done it for the FZ-09 but the concept is identical to the FZ-07, with added benefit of having a round tip. If you've got a welder handy, I think opening up the back of the muffler and taking out a chunk of the pipe labeled in orange below, is the best route to go:

B191F94F-E7F0-4E05-B641-5B9EB8A24A9C.jpg

Ok Just a follow up about my "Vibration" noise. I bought a silicone High temp spray (1500 F) and use it inside the heat shield. In fact, this product applied very well but let a very tiny layer of silicone. The effect is more a paint than a silicon. BUT in reality, IT IS a silicone.

So, after making about like 20 coats of that? I waited about 20 minutes between each coat. For the result, I have a coat of about 1/16 inch thickness of silicone inside the heat shield.

Overall, I do not regret at all because I no longer ear the "metal vibration" that I had. So, for me, like topazsparrow said above, the aftermarker exhaust are really overpriced. 1500$ for the Akrapovic kit?? WTF. So, I think I will keep it like that for a long period. I love the sound, not too loud.

Moreover, it cost me only 15$ for the silicon spray!!!

Thanks for the follow up @eraser8! Any chance you could send a link to the silicone spray you bought and/or send some pictures of it applied to the heat shield? I think I'm interested in this mod

bmwpowere36m3

Akra Carbon is $700-750, TI is closer $900... cheapest is M4 ATM $400. They ain't gonna get cheaper... never do.

Thanks for the follow up @eraser8 ! Any chance you could send a link to the silicone spray you bought and/or send some pictures of it applied to the heat shield? I think I'm interested in this mod
Hi foxk56, 
Here is the link I order the silicone on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000MY1RB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the only silicone spray I found with a true high temp resistance. I spray all the can inside the heat shield. Long process but worth the time IMO.

Yes the akra TI is 900$ US but here in Canada is 1500$ with the CAT.. A lot expensive since I bought the bike 6100$ :)

For a free mod, my goal was to have a beautiful sound, not necessarly the best sound overall (which I think the Akra TI should give). I wouldn't pay 1500$ just to have the Perfect sound.... I'm 34, I have a house, 2 children, a WIFE.... So the cash not came from the sky... I like my current setup/sound and will ride like that for a very long period.

• Premium Member

My Delkevic carbon fiber full exhaust was $375 with shipping. Sounds good, looks good, makes the bike lighter. So there's another option for you as well.

My Delkevic carbon fiber full exhaust was $375 with shipping. Sounds good, looks good, makes the bike lighter. So there's another option for you as well.
Never heard in real but with video I saw, it is really loud! Too loud for me.

But thanks for the suggestion! The fact is... making some holes in the OEM exhaust make it more ajustable depending on each person. The video suggest to do 6 holes but I only did 4 holes because it is enought for me.

scoobyfan
Overall, I do not regret at all because I no longer ear the "metal vibration" that I had. So, for me, like topazsparrow said above, the aftermarker exhaust are really overpriced. 1500$ for the Akrapovic kit?? WTF. So, I think I will keep it like that for a long period. I love the sound, not too loud. 
Moreover, it cost me only 15$ for the silicon spray!!!
Who is paying $1500 for an Akra on this bike? lol. I paid $742 exactly (no tax or shipping) for the Akra Carbon. 
Though I suppose if you are happy with what you have made (and it sounds like you got it figured out) then that's a bonus cus you saved 700 bucks! I wish that would be good enough for me.

Yeah but here in Canada an akra ti is 1500$CAN with taxes and shipping :mad:

squiernut

I did the 4 3/8" holes mod last night. Sounds great to my ears. Could be just a bit louder, but for now I'm going to leave it as is. One of these days I'll actually break down and buy an exhaust, but for now, I'm good.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

@topazsparrow yes someone has done that, but with a hole saw which I think would work better than a drill bit. Check out one of the posts on the second page of this thread: http://fz07.org/post/66909/thread

Personally I think I'm going this direction for shets and giggles. I didn't really like the idea of holes in the side. I emailed these pictures/instructions to a local welder and he's going to let me know his price

gwHIL2t.jpg

GwXyS07.jpg

I just said screw it last night and I drilled 4x 3/8" holes, 2 top and 2 bottom just like @eraser8 . I'm immensely happy with the sound. Not too quiet, not too loud but with a good bark when you crack the throttle quick. Perfect for me, especially since it was free! I don't see myself wanting to get an aftermarket

Oh, and I didn't get the heat shield resonating at all that @eraser8 mentioned

I just said screw it last night and I drilled 4x 3/8" holes, 2 top and 2 bottom just like @eraser8 . I'm immensely happy with the sound. Not too quiet, not too loud but with a good bark when you crack the throttle quick. Perfect for me, especially since it was free! I don't see myself wanting to get an aftermarket 
Oh, and I didn't get the heat shield resonating at all that @eraser8 mentioned
Glad you love the sound! It is a really cheap and fast mod that transform your ride!!!  I'm surprise you didn't notice any heat shield sound... did you try to run it with and without the shield?  
I don't plan anymore to get an aftermarket exhaust. Saves many buck ????

Archived