The MT-07 Forum

Buying Used Advice Needed.

Sangwich

Hi, I'm a new member in Texas (long time lurker) going to be looking at a used 2015 FZ-07 graphite/blue w/ 2300 miles. Just wanted to get to know everyone and know what to expect/look out for when buying FZ-07 used. Seller wants 5750 obo. All Stock.

Well first off you are picking the right color so good on you. These are pretty good bikes in general so chances are low that it has a big issue lying in wait. So just ask why he is selling, if he says he is looking for another bike chances are pretty good he maintained the bike. Check all fluid levels, to low and it was probably neglected. Try and take it out for a test drive if it is ok with the seller, should give you a better feel of the bike. KBB has it 5,250 though I am not sure how well KBB works for used bikes, but that price seems decent seeing as I'm seeing used 2015's in the 6,500 to 7,00 range in So-Cal. If you are still feeling uneasy hire a local mechanic to come check it out with you.

• Global Moderator

I would want to see receipts for the 600 mile service. I would be fine with him having done it himself, but I would like proof. If it is in good condition I think the price seems fair.

Things I would normaly check on used bikes:

- scratches on the handle-bars and on the break/clutch leavers (also check these 2 for bents) (drops)

- scratches on the rider pegs and exhaust drops)

- chain tension - if it is too loose it's a proof of poor maintenance

- fluids levels

- lift the rear wheel on a stand and go through all 6 gears with the motor running, twice. Listen to the shifting noise/clutch engaging. If it is disturbing and you are unsure call a mechanic (it's a good option to have one there in the first place)

- make sure you specify to the seller NOT to run the bike before you go check it out. You want to hear it "cold" to check the ignition timing/sound.

- check all the lights are working

- check all buttons are working, not stalling (can't find a better word for it right now :P )

- check the dashboard screen for scratches

- make sure he has at least 2 keys (or 3 [2 plus master], depending on the standard in the US)

- check that all the keys fit ok in the ingition, the tank lock and the seat lock.

- make sure he has the users manual and the little tooks kit under the pillon seat

- check for scrathes possibly made by keychains and jacket zipper

- check the radiator for dents (especially since he sais the bike is stock)

- check tires type (check what the original tires are in the US for the '15 model - Pilot Road 3 in Europe) integrity and the manufacure date

- ask him to provide evidence for everything he is telling you about it :)

Highly recomended: before you start riding it change the oil and filter yourself.

Best of luck !

Ride Safe!

MT-07 Prospect

Thanks for the advice... going to look at it today. However, I'm going to dealer to look at 2016 black fz-07 brand new and see if its worth paying extra. I'd prefer to be the only owner because i'd take care of my bike.

For what it's worth, my father who has been an ASE certified mechanic his whole life has always told me to be super wary when buying used sport bikes or cars. Merely for the fact that people don't buy these model vehicles to just putt putt around town. We buy it for the thrill of twisting the throttle and riding it hard through turns! BUT that may not equate to a worthwhile purchase when the motor may have been redlined on the daily. There are a lot of variables when taking proper care of a vehicle, and many won't take the time to fully cover all of them. If financially you can afford to buy a new bike, then I'd consider it the safest route. Obviously not all of us are that fortunate, so be patient and take your time with all considerations for used bikes. Like my father told me, "You don't know what the person before you did to the bike before you bought it. At least when it's brand new you're the only one who can damage it."

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

Merely for the fact that people don't buy these model vehicles to just putt putt around town... 
There are a lot of variables when taking proper care of a vehicle, and many won't take the time to fully cover all of them...
I completely agree with you, on a general basis.

However, this is a new (sport-ish) bike we are taking about here.

It is barely 12 months old and 2300 miles. The only way I can see this bike being seriously "hurt" at this stage is if the current owner did these 2300 miles while redlining the bike on the track. Which is highly unlikely, since nobody in his right mind would buy a FZ-07 , keep it fully stock and then punish it on the tracks.

I don`t know what "obo" price means, but if the $5750 is the full price @sangwich would pay for it (plus registration taxes, etc), it will save him a good $2000 from the OTD price asked by the dealer.
Which pretty much covers the Akra Ti, radiator guard, tail bag, sporty leavers, LED blinkers and other small visual tweaks.

Just my $0.02 (+TAX).

Ride safe and chose with your heart ;)

MT-07 Prospect

@mehigh I've just gotten my bike maybe about 2 months ago. Just made my 2nd payment on it yesterday actually lol. I've already logged 2400 miles on my bike and now know how to basically disassemble any major parts based on these forums and being search savvy online. I've done all the work on my bike myself. Even in that time frame the phrase "caveat emptor" (let the buyer beware) rings true. I worry cause I know if I can do this much to the bike and cover up any big whoopsies, then anyone could do the same if they're trying to dump a headache. Blehhh

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

twowheeladdict

If he is asking $5750, he really wants $5500, but may take $5250. Look the bike over well. You should not pay NADA or KBB when buying from an individual unless they have records to show how the bike was maintained.

Good Luck.

2015 FZ-07

Before you buy the FZ, or any bike for that matter, do an insurance free check on the internet. Some people have had some very nasty surprises after buying their bike.
Not only your driving history is at play, but where you live and the kind of bike you have.
Good luck

@mehigh   I worry cause I know if I can do this much to the bike and cover up any big whoopsies, then anyone could do the same if they're trying to dump a headache. 
The expression "it's stock again" comes to mind...

After hearing words from forum members I've came to the conclusion that if possible its really just best to buy new... especially a "sport"bike.

• Premium Member

@sangwich I got my bike new because I didn't know anything about motorcycles and I wouldn't have known what to check out before buying one to make sure everything was all right.
In the future, I wouldn't mind getting a used bike since it's easier to justify a purchase like that when you're buying used and paying less.
Just didn't want my first bike to have issues that I wouldn't have noticed starting off.

Despite my warning in the message above, I just today took delivery of a used FZ-07. Around here the difference to new worked out to about $2000 from the Costco price, and $3000 from typical retail OTD. Yes, it's a gamble but something about the seller made me trust him.

I was in the market because yesterday I sold the Triumph Scrambler that was too big for me - it felt really good that the sophisticated buyer understood what a special thing she was getting.

Dealers are a business. The used market lets you do something more like an adoption.

• 2 weeks later...

Where in Texas is this bike at? That's a great price. Most the ones I've seen people are asking nearly msrp and in a few cases more. I'd love to snag up another 15 graphite for that price.

Guest ChicagoAJ

Make sure when you go to look at it that you tell the seller to leave the bike cold and not to start it before you get there! Cold starts will tell you if something is wrong, once warmed up and running, some bigger issues can be hidden.

Hope you get this in time!

Archived