The MT-07 Forum

Chase review FZ-07

jake

• Premium Member

If anyone has doubts about buying the FZ-07, just have them watch that video.... fantastic!

Why can't left turners see us?

Such a good review !

I am wondering, how could you do a bad review on such a great bike?  ;)

Off Topic: God, I can`t wait for next weekend when I`ll get a chance to test ride this baby! I`ll be exercising my "Wee!!"`s , "OMG!!"`s and "Ooooah"`s until then   (rofl)

MT-07 Prospect

• Premium Member

He compares it to the Z800 and GSX-S750, fails to mention the new SV650 (which I doubt many people have ridden, but he must know about it) and suggests that the FZ-07 would make a good bike for the MSF BRC. Hmmm. I have my doubts on this reviewer's credibility.

- Andy

• Premium Member
He compares it to the Z800 and GSX-S750, fails to mention the new SV650 (which I doubt many people have ridden, but he must know about it) and suggests that the FZ-07 would make a good bike for the MSF BRC. Hmmm. I have my doubts on this reviewer's credibility.
I don't think it would make a good MSF bike either.  Way too much torque and engine braking .... but his enthusiasm for the FZ-07 seemed authentic. 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I don't think it would make a good MSF bike either.  Way too much torque and engine braking .... but his enthusiasm for the FZ-07 seemed authentic. 

I completed the MSF course, went home and rode the FZ-07 for the first time and brought the front wheel up 4 feet on accident, because I let the clutch out too fast. I don't think the FZ-07 is the best learner bike in terms of low speed stuff. It has too much torque. Getting out of 1st gear on a SS is wayyyyyy easier.

SigSide.jpg

I actually did my motorcycle endorsement road test with the FZ07. Got just -1 pt for slowing down on the S curves.

Did the u-turn fine, although I did put my feet down on the 90 degree turn from a stop, but right after I turned. Instructor didn't give me a demerit for that he told me it was after I passed the turn box (but I just think he's a lenient guy).

I recorded the whole thing from my helmet cam. Ah memories.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I should've read people's post before hitting reply.  I actually replied directly after watching the vid.  I agree, the FZ07 should not be used for the MSF beginner course.  I'm sure there are many people who are docile enough to not crash the FZ07 (I'm one of those) but unfortunately I've witnessed way too many people who just should not ride a motorcycle and they would just mess themselves up on the FZ07 in the BRC.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
I took my MSF course on a TW200. Now THAT is a perfect bike for a beginner.
Same here, Red Bluff, CA 2001-ish. I still want to buy one to this day.

- Andy

topazsparrow
Chase has done A LOT of reviews and he's usually pretty unbiased. 
The "new" sv650 isn't really all that new, but I'll wait for the reviews to see if anything is substantially better. Chase never really took it into the twisties at speed either - and I think that's a bit of a weak spot for this bike. It's very capable but the input and effort is much greater than say a GSXR-750 or an SV650.

I would argue against the FZ07 being a good MSF bike due only to the crazy torque on it. I mean you can power wheelie in second gear.... no SV650 is going to let you do that. That massive low end combined with the heavy engine braking don't led this bike to being the best option for MSF or new riders.

I agree that the ability to toss it around and it's light weight and low seat height DO lend itself to being a good MSF bike though. I bet the Detuned Australian models are perfect for just this.

In short, it's a great review that highlights a lot of nice aspects of the bike but it's not a good bike for the MSF due to the torque, engine braking, and lack of ABS.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
I took my MSF course on a TW200. Now THAT is a perfect bike for a beginner.
Same here, Red Bluff, CA 2001-ish. I still want to buy one to this day.
My parents used to have a Thai restaurant in Red Bluff for a couple of years.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

I agree this wouldn't be a good MSF bike. Having taken the MSF course myself and owning this bike since 2014. It might be for some that have a decent amount of riding experience. Those 250cc bikes are perfect.

I agree this wouldn't be a good MSF bike. Having taken the MSF course myself and owning this bike since 2014. It might be for some that have a decent amount of riding experience. Those 250cc bikes are perfect.
That bugs me to hell when someone says the 07 is a good beginners bike. It is not. Too much torque and twitchyness at low speed. Its a great second bike. 250 is the perfect size to start with.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
He's a consistently poor reviewer for bikes (as most vlogger reviewers are). Nearly never mentions useful information like maintenance intervals, gas mileage, suspension adjustability, specific engine specs, and he tends to just repeat unexplained buzzwords like "comfortable", "fun", "fast". That said, he's generally entertaining.

topazsparrow
He's a consistently poor reviewer for bikes (as most vlogger reviewers are). Nearly never mentions useful information like maintenance intervals, gas mileage, suspension adjustability, specific engine specs, and he tends to just repeat unexplained buzzwords like "comfortable", "fun", "fast". That said, he's generally entertaining.
 Because all those details are available for free from reading the spec sheet and manual... None of which tell you how the bike feels. Which is why he uses words like "comfortable", "fun", "fast". 
The first part is something everyone can find out without a test ride. The latter are things you NEED to do a test drive for and for a lot of riders, like me, the local dealers tell you to get fucked if you ask to test ride.

Archived