The MT-07 Forum

Question about break-in

crtking

So like the dealer told me to I babied the bike for the first 30-40 miles. I was browsing the forum and came across the motoman method and instantly took the bike out for some redline pulls (after warming her up of course). His website says most of the break in happens in the first 20 miles with his method but I waited much longer to do his method... Am I safe to ride it like its broken in or what?

• Premium Member

First thing I did was dump the factory oil in the motor and put good ole yamalube in...I rode the bike like it was my dirt bike... Quick and hard and longer rides over time about 2 quick 10 min rides the first day...the next day 4 15 min rides with an he off cooling between rides...third day I rode 3 long trips at about 30 mins each...then changed oil and adjusted chain...then I just rode it normally

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

The dealer told me not to baby mine. From what I have read here it honestly does not seem to matter. People have done all sorts of break in techniques and I have not heard of any problems related to bikes not breaking in properly.

They may have said to baby it for the first few miles because those new tires are a bit slick and need a bit of wear to reach optimal traction, at least that is what I was told.

• Premium Member

the manual says to keep it in the low rpms for the first 600 miles. I followed the manual.

• Global Moderator
the manual says to keep it in the low rpms for the first 600 miles. I followed the manual.
That is odd, mine says "avoid prolonged operations above 5,000 rpm". I did not have it at high rpm's for prolonged times, but I had it up to redline often. 

I'd say the bike is so well engineered, like a lot of new bikes, and you can ride it any way you want already. You are not going to break it. Do whatever gives you confidence you are doing the right thing. For myself, I followed the manual's recommendation, which meant vary the throttle and keep rpms below 5k or 6k, until the first oil change.

The way we do it here in france:

Do not go over 5k or 6k rpm until the first service at 600 miles. Use every gears, every range of throttle. I rode it at 4k or 5k for the first 300 miles then went progressively to 6k with a few high revs accelerations before the servicing.

The thing is to feel what the bikes says to you. Way you get those weird vibrations that tickle the tips of your fingers, release the throttle, don't go higher... Gently, you will push those vibration higher and higher in rpm until one day, they're totally gone. Here, your break in will be over!

BTW, don't change the oil until the first service. For the first 600 miles, it's not regular oil but break in oil.

But again, I don't say it's THE way to do it, just how we do it here!

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

• Premium Member
BTW, don't change the oil until the first service. For the first 600 miles, it's not regular oil but break in oil.

Yup, my dealer said the same.  They even suggested to wait till 800 miles.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

bernard1414

Is that true? I've heard both sides, one person says change the oil around 100-200 miles, the other says leave it till 600, who do I believe?

• Premium Member
Is that true? I've heard both sides, one person says change the oil around 100-200 miles, the other says leave it till 600, who do I believe?
I have no idea, but I will follow my Yamaha dealer's advise.  Either way, I'm sure it won't matter much anyways....

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

I did my first oil change at 600 miles (597 actually). I figured I would follow Yamaha's recommendation as they should know. If it is a break in oil (and I have heard both that it is and it isn't...I guess someone is right) I wanted it to give it time to do its job.

• Premium Member

I pretty much flogged my Ninja from mile 2 to mile 25; constantly taking it from 3000 to 9000 RPM in 2nd (I'll let you do the math there) and letting it engine-brake back down, then changed the oil. Ran it hard to 600 and changed it again. Rode it 'normally' (hehe) after that.
Everyone has their way. Some follow the lawyer's way, some do it the way some wackjob on the internet (MotoMan, and I mean that in the nicest possible way) told them to do it, and others follow a combination of both.

- Andy

Hmmm. I did the gentle break-in for my FZ07. I did the "ride the way you normally ride" break-in for the R3 (it wasn't until AFTER I broke it in that I realized riding the R3 continually redlining is how the R3 is meant to be ridden and its a blast). I'm seriously considering the hard break-in for the Z1000.

I'm going to try to see what the redline speed on gears 1 and 2 are this week.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• 3 weeks later...

Did you happen to buy your bike at Cycle Enterprise? I see you're from the Rochester area and that's where I bought mine last weekend and they told me 800 miles

• Premium Member
Did you happen to buy your bike at Cycle Enterprise? I see you're from the Rochester area and that's where I bought mine last weekend and they told me 800 miles
Yup, I did.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Break it in!!!!! first 1000 miles with staying in low rpm range in all gears, with alternating the rpm while riding. I can't beleave you guys are doing 25 mile break in( hope you got the warrenty )Your piston rings will thank you. Plus you will have better compression rates. You will have trouble down the line if not broken in correctly. This is why I didn't by used.

bigdaddybane

Piston rings will be just fine ... don't worry about that. Can you please point out the study about compression rate loss due to wrong brake in procedure?

I'm in the short break in period camp. Loading the engine and heat cycles will ensure that your rings set up correctly in the first 50 miles. After that, ride it like normal, change the oil at the recommended interval.

Lets be honest, everyone has their opinion on break in and you'll never get everyone to agree that one way is better than another. I look at it this way, mass produced engines are not fragile flowers or made of tissue paper, they are designed in a way that allows for mass production with the lowest failure rate achievable at a certain price point. Think of how many cars/trucks/motorcycles are sold each year and are driven off the lot by someone who has never heard of an "engine break in period". If the break in period was that mission critical on a mass produced engine then we would see engine failures in significant numbers. The reality is, they work just fine whether you break them in hard or slow. The choice is yours, your engine will not fail you because you chose one over the other.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

Piston rings will be just fine ... don't worry about that. Can you please point out the study about compression rate loss due to wrong brake in procedure?
yes i will post soon.

• Premium Member

Whomever builds the engine, I follow their instructions... period! Warranty, warranty, warranty!!!

bmwpowere36m3
Whomever builds the engine, I follow their instructions... period! Warranty, warranty, warranty!!!

How they gonna prove it one way or another...

• Premium Member

bmw, I keep copious records; many don't. Who wants to be in doubt... for what reason? Litigators LOVE paperwork, greater quantity and specificity the better. Way toooooo easy to just do as the Manual says. Probably not necessary; but really, why risk otherwise.

I do the same with everything. I just finished installing a new crate LS3 in my ol' Avanti and certainly followed all "factory" instructions for break-in. I used a tuner for the required initial tuning adjustments, but documented all in detail.

Obviously, others can choose to do whatever they wish. This is just my nickel's worth to increase my odds of the fewest potential hassles down the road (literally and figuratively, hehe).

Archived