The MT-07 Forum

Extended Warranty

coleman67

I haven't seen this discussed yet :  Has anyone taken advantage of the extended warranty offered?  It extemds the factory warranty out to a total of 6 years, unlimited miles.

I havnt done that but yamaha sent me a letter with a code that gives me the 2 year Y.E.S. Free for doing a demo day ride.

Guest MXRider

Extended warranties are for suckers. The percentage of owners who will ever need to use it is so infinitesimally small that the company who underwrites the plan makes out like bandits.

You're buying a Yamaha, not a Yugo.

I'm thinking first year production on an all-new model/engine... it may be worth my consideration.

Guest MXRider

Nothing Yamaha is doing with this engine is new. So while it may be a new model, this isn't exactly their first stab at a parallel twin motorcycle.

If you have a genuine problem with the bike due to a manufacturing defect, Yamaha will stand behind it.

You'd be better off investing that money in a service manual and some good tools.

That was my concern exactly. I can afford the couple dollars extra a month so I bought it. Puts any mechanical worries to rest.

Everyone feels different about warranty so to each their own.

Extended warranties are for suckers. The percentage of owners who will ever need to use it is so infinitesimally small that the company who underwrites the plan makes out like bandits.  
Aoutch, be easy on the kid, but you are right, there is absolutely no need for any extended warranty, for anything. If you really need it, buy it AFTER your manufacturer warranty expire.

They are good for some, not so good for others.

One rider can't decide for others. If ya feel the need to get an extended warranty you have up to the one year anniversary date to call yamaha and buy one, and for cheaper than what the stealerships charge.

Guest montana07

I passed on the extended warranty. And it's not a new model, first year of production in the US, but it came out in Europe(and Asia?) in 2013 as the MT-07

• Premium Member

Extended warranty is not a bad idea, considering this is the first US year of the FZ-07. Only time will tell though. I really hope it stays bug free.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

When I bought my FZ07 I didn't get the extended warranty, figuring I had a whole year to decide. Backtracking now to the Motorcycle Rally in Hollister, CA: It was over 4th of July weekend. I went to it and it's mostly for cruisers; it's all right, I had a cruiser. Yamaha was there offering demo rides. I was looking to get an additional non-cruiser bike and had been interested in the FZ07. Well, they had three of them and since we were at a cruiser rally, no one was very interested in them! I got to go on a demo ride right away! No waiting! Well, I fell in love and knew I would be getting one right then and there. Fast forward to today. In the mail I got a card thanking me for test riding a Yamaha and giving me 2 years of extended warranty for free! Did I score, or what!

Illegitimi non carborundum

rotaryryan24

I went ahead and got an extended warranty, total of 5 years unlimited miles. For less than a dollar a day worth it in my book. By the way I commute 100 miles a day, miles rack up fast. My last bike was a wr250x, put on 40k in under 3 years.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Global Moderator

@rotaryryan24, 100 miles a day, wow !!
if I were to rack up the miles like you do, I would probably choose for an extended warranty too. Can't go wrong with a little reassurance.
I doubt that you will be using it much though.

i bought it, the yamaha yes warranty, it wasnt really that much imo, but it is a 50/50...either way at least its covered if something does happen

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

I actually owned TDM 850 a 270 degree parallel twin in the early 90's same thing but carbureted and the five valve genesis design. Loved that bike

Guest MXRider

Anyone know for sure if an exhaust system will void the warranty?

Read up on the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. They can't void your warranty on you in the USA unless they can prove the aftermarket part caused the failure for which you are in need of warranty work.

Read up on the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. They can't void your warranty on you in the USA unless they can prove the aftermarket part caused the failure for which you are in need of warranty work.
Ahh I should have read more comments. I remember you saying that before. Thanks man. 

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
i said the same thing to my buddy after he told me he got an extended warranty.

now the scooter i bought new the same year he bought his new is waiting for me to come up with enough cash to rebuild the engine.  his has been fixed by the dealer over and over and over again.

so i got the extended warranty for three extra years.  i plan to trade it in 1 month before warranty end.

-HowWorkClutch

I got the YES warranty and aside from your legal rights via the Magnusson-Moss warranty act, it was called out in the warranty when presented to me that changing the exhaust only voids the warranty for the exhaust and nothing else.  The salesman made it a point to mention that to me.  
The way I see it, they are forced by law to honor it, so they are putting spin on it and selling you on it as if they are going above and beyond ha.  Hey... I'm in sales and to be honest I'd do the same thing.  It's all about perceived value.  :)

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Guest MXRider
now the scooter i bought new the same year he bought his new is waiting for me to come up with enough cash to rebuild the engine.  his has been fixed by the dealer over and over and over again.

so i got the extended warranty for three extra years.  i plan to trade it in 1 month before warranty end.

Sounds like the problem is a crappy scooter.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I ride my bike really hard, I may not put 40k miles on it in 3 years but the miles I do put on it are hard as hell. I got a loan for 5 years on the bike and figured "why wouldn't I have a full warranty on the thing for the time I'm making payments?". The money is nominal compared to the amount covered especially while I'm still paying for the thing. Once again, please keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm talking about and have no credibility whatsoever.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

Sounds like the problem is a crappy scooter.

It was. It was a new model based on an earlier design.

Maybe the 07 is crappy too. Time will tell.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived