The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 or FZ-09

ccam7374

I was following you until "has to be more fun to ride".  Why?   
My Road Glide Ultra is more fun to ride when going highway speeds, long distances, two up, while carrying groceries, sight seeing, etc.

The FZ-07 is more fun to ride tight curvy roads, and in hot weather.

The guy also had an R6.  Why did you only focus on the Harley?

For people that are wondering if a bike is enough power, should always get the more powerful bike.  

If Yamaha had made a 350lb FZ-04 twin, that was the same bike as the FZ-07 except weight and power, I'd have bought it because weight was a main factor for me.  When people talk power as the main factor, they will never be happy until they have enough power to scare themselves.

OK let me say this yes the Street Glide weighs a ton but once on it and on the road it didn't feel like a ton until you stop again. Yes it had a good bit of power and torque to lug all that weight around but I got tired of feeling the weight at slow speeds and like I said at dead stops. Also the wife and I didn't ride it like we intended to so after much consideration I chose to sell it and get something that was to me "fun to ride", light weight and nible. Then "don't ask me how but the FZ07 came along and I have been studying and also in love with that bike" I think I watched a you tube video on it, but it really didn't take long for me and I really was in love with a bike I had never even sat on much less ridden. Then I see the 09 and I took a step back. I finally got to a dealership and just about threw myself on the 07 but when the sales guy said check out the 09 I did and it didn't feel to much different for me and thats when I got a little confused and didn't know which one to get. Then I turned to you good people here and I have done more research and I am back in love with the 07. I am just not quite ready to make the purchase yet now I think my other dilemma is the color scheme I love the Raven cause that's what my R6 was and she was pretty but those highlighter yellow wheels are growing on me so maybe I am down to color and not which bike cause I think we all know I am going to get the 07. It really is all I am looking for in every aspect.

• Premium Member

Ok I went to Fox Power sports in GR today they have about every and any bike you could want very nice place. I sat on almost everything to see how it felt and You want to know what the worst feeling one for me to sit on was ... The FZ-09 I kid you not that thing felt all kinds of wrong to me when I sat on it. This is going to be different for everyone I know I have a fat ass 5'11 @ 240 and Flintstone legs. I guess you might get used to it but you better sit on that thing and take a test ride. I would look at that XSR900 also like mentioned before if you are looking at Yamaha.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Guest ChicagoAJ
I'd like to mention that the FZ-09 has huge lumps coming out of the engine on both sides that will burn your legs if you're not careful.
I'd also like to mention that the 09 is ugly as hell. I was trying to decide on the 07 or 09 myself earlier this year. Just sitting on the 09 I could barely flat foot it comfortably and I'm 6'1" 190 pounds. The seat was very uncomfortable as well and felt like it was digging in to my inner thighs.  
Once I sat on the 07 I felt right at home. Everything is set up damn near perfectly. It's fast, but not R6 fast. It'll only lose to the R6 in the quarter by just about a second if the riders are equally skilled. Although I will say, I can keep up better than I thought I would with the 600cc supersports my friends have. Even the 09 is limited to a top speed of around 130, but it'll get there quicker than the 07. 

I also went from an R6 to an Fz-07 and i honestly love the bike. You can also buy clip-ons if you like to make it a little more aggressive. It has plenty of power and its fun an nimble.

I'll chime in here with a bit of insight.

I've a fair amount of time onboard HD's of all sizes. Either bike - the 7 or 9 - will feel much faster and more nimble. I'm a current owner of a well equipped 9 and seriously considering switching to a 7 because, quite frankly, I don't need the power of the 9.

The 9 is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever owned though. I've had far more than I can count these days and fully admit that every time I get on it I smile ear to ear. I haven't done a flash yet and likely should, but, the stock (later) flash is alright. Not too twitchy for me. I bought the bike used and it had an aftermarket exhaust that was too loud for me. That's a first. I swapped the stock unit back on and have enjoyed every mile since. I planted a Penske 8973 (I think, need more coffee) on the rear and rebuilt the forks with springs and valves to match. The bike handles awesome and it is great in every way.

The real reason I'm considering changing up? Not sure. The 7 intrigued me initially and I was watching for a good deal on a 7 or 9 when this bike came up. For what I paid, and everything it came with, I knew I couldn't go wrong.

My plan is to find a 7 and own them both through this summer, letting one go this fall.

I don't think you can go wrong with either - but suspect you'd find the 7 a friendlier and possibly overall more enjoyable ride.

WWR

I love the Raven cause that's what my R6 was and she was pretty but those highlighter yellow wheels are growing on me so maybe I am down to color and not which bike cause I think we all know I am going to get the 07. It really is all I am looking for in every aspect.
  You have good taste! The 2016 in black is very nice, that's why I bought one. 8-)  One thing to consider is how easy it is to change the color on a FZ07. The plastic body panels are readily available new and sometimes used and not horribly expensive.    I have heard of people choosing their FZ based on frame or wheel color and then changing the tank to another color. I will likely buy some bright colored tank parts one day and leave the rest of the bike blacked out. Some bikes have color matched front fenders, some have matching tail sections while others have matte black pieces. This adds up to quite a few possible color combinations for the easily bored or even the outlaws amongst us. (:))

I also went from an R6 to an Fz-07 and i honestly love the bike. You can also buy clip-ons if you like to make it a little more aggressive. It has plenty of power and its fun an nimble.

Part of getting to 07 is the upright riding position. So clip on's won't be on option for me.

• Premium Member

This is a great review ! Check it out

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

OK so I finalized the sale of my Harley and now I have cash in hand, but I have been looking at the FZ-09 yet again. It is not the engine that is making me lean towards it but it is smaller things. The adjustable forks the front rear sets are better and it just seems easier to be able to work on or upgrade (tail tiday, juice box to name a few. I know it's ultimately my decision but come the day I go and make my purchase feel will play a big part as well cause I know both bikes are very good and they both have a lot of power.

Guest ChicagoAJ
UPDATE: 
OK so I finalized the sale of my Harley and now I have cash in hand, but I have been looking at the FZ-09 yet again. It is not the engine that is making me lean towards it but it is smaller things. The adjustable forks the front rear sets are better and it just seems easier to be able to work on or upgrade (tail tiday, juice box to name a few. I know it's ultimately my decision but come the day I go and make my purchase feel will play a big part as well cause I know both bikes are very good and they both have a lot of power.
I haven't ridden an 09 but I sat on one and it was one of the most uncomfortable bikes I've ever sat on. With that said, the 07 is awesome in the mid range, but if you're looking for more top end power, the 09 is what you want. I always find myself shifting very short in the 07 just to keep it pulling hard, it loses a lot of steam up top.  

Comfort is not something I have given thought. Comfort is also a big selling point. I am not sure if any dealers down here in south Louisiana let you test ride, if they don't then I will have to rely on just sitting on the bike. I also want power all the way through from low end all the way to the top. I guess I will have to do more research before I buy.

bmwpowere36m3
UPDATE: 
The FZ-07 suspension can be addressed for probably close to the difference in price of the bikes (and it'll be MUCH better).  Granted the FZ-09 suspension is somewhat adjustable, it "sucks" more than the FZ-07...  its sprung the same, but in a heavier bike.
Tidy tail?  It's four bolts on the FZ-07... doesn't get much easier than that.  Personally I hate the taillight and rear-end on the FZ-09.  Juice box?  I assume some form of ECU re-flash... that can be done easily on the FZ-07 as well (2WDW or Dobeck).
Ultimately you have to ride both... because if you're not happy with the engine performance from the FZ-07, there's not much your going to change about it with a reasonable amount of dollars.  Same goes for the overall look of the bike, which personally I like the FZ-07 better.  Could the FZ-07 use more power... sure.  However the power it has (not saying little)... it delivers well for a bike to rip around town and back roads.  Honestly it feels like I'm riding a mix of a supermoto and sport bike (fun and nimble, but with a lot more power).  It gave me an instant smile from the moment I test rode it.

UPDATE: 
The FZ-07 suspension can be addressed for probably close to the difference in price of the bikes (and it'll be MUCH better).  Granted the FZ-09 suspension is somewhat adjustable, it "sucks" more than the FZ-07...  its sprung the same, but in a heavier bike.
Tidy tail?  It's four bolts on the FZ-07... doesn't get much easier than that.  Personally I hate the taillight and rear-end on the FZ-09.  Juice box?  I assume some form of ECU re-flash... that can be done easily on the FZ-07 as well (2WDW or Dobeck).
Ultimately you have to ride both... because if you're not happy with the engine performance from the FZ-07, there's not much your going to change about it with a reasonable amount of dollars.  Same goes for the overall look of the bike, which personally I like the FZ-07 better.  Could the FZ-07 use more power... sure.  However the power it has (not saying little)... it delivers well for a bike to rip around town and back roads.  Honestly it feels like I'm riding a mix of a supermoto and sport bike (fun and nimble, but with a lot more power).  It gave me an instant smile from the moment I test rode it.

Well said, and I agree about the supermoto and sport bike comparison. I bought before I rode it, but as soon as I pulled away I knew I made the right choice. The suspension sucks for me but I'm probably or was about 235lbs all geared up, but it is drastically better looking than the 9, IMHO.

In my opinion, I love my fz-07 for daily commuting in traffic. If I didn't live in L.A. where the traffic is a mess at all hours, or if I had an open road commute I would probably be happier with the fz-09. I used to have a CBR600 F4 and I do miss the high revs on the freeway but for daily commuting in traffic I cannot stop smiling while on this bike. I'll probably never get rid of this bike unless it becomes a maintenance nightmare in the future or I break it somehow.. I'd rather just buy a second supersport bike when I get a house and garage to enjoy on the weekend.

I came across a dealership with an FZ-09 with 2500 miles on it and some mods, tailight for one for $6990. I wonder if it is worth it?

Guest 2wheeler
I came across a dealership with an FZ-09 with 2500 miles on it and some mods, tailight for one for $6990. I wonder if it is worth it?
Well, that should help you quite a bit with your decision - IT'S A DEALERSHIP - get a test ride!  
I wouldn't buy a used bike from any dealership that would not let me test ride it first!

If the FZ-09 isn't love at first ride, buy the FZ-07 because it will be!

AlbatrossCafe
In my opinion, I love my fz-07 for daily commuting in traffic. If I didn't live in L.A. where the traffic is a mess at all hours, or if I had an open road commute I would probably be happier with the fz-09.
I can agree with this (at least in my opinion). Had my FZ-07 since October and for 8500 miles. Commuting on it is great, it is fast and you don't feel held back at all. 
I took it out last weekend near Mt. Rainer in Washington where I finally had some open road. The power above 75mph in traffic is great, but the power above 80mph on the open road is really not that crazy, especially compared to my old CBR 600 F4i which I had about 24k miles on. For someone like me who is tall and heavy, you really have to keep that throttle cranked to keep it above 85. It wasn't really as thrilling as it should have been (maybe getting a windscreen would help?).

So I was like you - came from a 600cc inline-4. For "general purpose" riding I'd say FZ-07 all the way and you will be plenty happy. But if you find the large majority is gonna be using it mostly for weekend riding where you will have a lot of space, I'd say FZ-09.

PS: The FZ-09 has awful fuel range. Same size tank as the 07 but with worse mileage

bigdaddybane

I was on the same boat as you but leaning heavily towards FZ-09 ... after months of consideration, made a decision and went to a local Yamaha dealership to get one. I was 10 minutes away from signing my final FZ-09 papers, when I looked again at the 2016 FZ-07 parked on a display inside the showroom. I said to the sales guy "scrap the 09 I'm getting that silver and blue lady that's sittin' over there & waiting'". He laughed for more than a minute then tossed all paperwork away, pulled out clean sheets and said are you sure? Not really I said but I have a good feeling about that little bee. After a week of ownership I know I made a right decision ... with every twist of the wrist it puts a smile on my face.

Archived