The MT-07 Forum

Crazy insurance hike. Help!!!

booboobusfz07

booboobusfz07

So last May I got a second speeding ticket. Traffic school wasn't done for a few reasons. So I'm left with 2 on my record.
My insurance on the bike Just went for renewal and it went up 4000$ a year!!I have Allstate.Absolutely insane that it's 490$ a month. Was able to talk to my agent and lower it to 3400$ a year. Still way too high. It's insane I have no clue what to do. If I can't do something I might have to sell the bike

• Premium Member

Good god ... If its paid off go with Progressive and get the minimal coverage If that makes sense .... Look around that's just crazy

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

pineappleunderthesea

Don't you hate the fact that speeding ticket = insurance hike? I remember some friends in France and Germany telling me that's not the case over there.

Anyways, you'll either have to beg to take traffic school, or start shopping around. You'll still pay more than you should, but might be better than Allstate. I'm with Dairyland, they were hundreds cheaper than Nationwide, Progressive, Geico (but YMMV).

booboobusfz07

Yeah this ticket has royally messed me. I got denied transfer because of it for work. Tried going for traffic school but they wouldn't let me. It's been too long.
Bike is still being financed so full coverage is required unfortunately.

Its all BS, im a new rider since april 2015, no tickets on bike. nothing on my cager, yet shopping around back in october i was being quoted almost 2,000 to 4000 on the fz07. Its all BS.

• Premium Member

Hit up State Farm as well and see what they offer you. Granted my driving history is clean, but I'm a new rider since last year and getting good rates with them for approx $330/year

I don't believe you have to have full coverage on a bike, even if its still financed. I think they are considered as a toy, so you should be able to just get liability.

booboobusfz07
I don't believe you have to have full coverage on a bike, even if its still financed. I think they are considered as a toy, so you should be able to just get liability.

My bank requires full coverage. They almost pulled my loan when I couldn't get full proof of insurance to them for awhile

• Premium Member
Hit up Markel. They specialize in Motorcycle insurance and are really cheap.  I have them for FZ-07 and a few prior bikes too.

Why can't left turners see us?

Foremost was by far the best prices for full coverage. I pay 640 a year when geico wanted 2500. They list the Fz07 as a slow speed vehicle, works for me haha. They did send me a letter that list of how individual violations raise your prices, with two tickets your not going to find a good price anywhere, maybe pay off the bike and get minimal coverage.

bmwpowere36m3

Unfortunately no… bank wants to "protect" their collateral in case you do something stupid.

bmwpowere36m3

Check out Dairyland… supposedly the market to riders with "records". At least that;s what the agent told me. They were very competitive for the FZ, but not other bikes or cars.

Unfortunately no… bank wants to "protect" their collateral in case you do something stupid.
That's what I would have thought, but I only have liability on the FZ (NEVER had an accident in 30 years of driving and I don't expect it to change now) and also canceled my insurance during 3 month of winter with no issue from the lander. So I don't know why its sometime possible and sometime not.

• Premium Member

It sounds like you've already done plenty! This is called "consequences." If you cannot afford the insurance cost, I'd suggest you park the bike for three years (assuming that is the way your system works) until the tickets are "removed" from your record... and, learn from this so you do not find yourself in the same fix, again. I don't mean to seem uncaring--I do feel the pain--but, this is part of life. Hang in there!

pineappleunderthesea
It sounds like you've already done plenty! This is called "consequences." If you cannot afford the insurance cost, I'd suggest you park the bike for three years (assuming that is the way your system works) until the tickets are "removed" from your record... and, learn from this so you do not find yourself in the same fix, again. I don't mean to seem uncaring--I do feel the pain--but, this is part of life. Hang in there!
Well the problem here might be the fact that the bike is considered a sports bike, which carries higher premiums in the first place. If he still wants to ride "something",  he could just get rid of the bike, and buy something like a used Honda Shadow or something which has very low annual premiums.   Then after three years come back to the sport bike world. 

Check out Dairyland… supposedly the market to riders with "records". At least that;s what the agent told me. They were very competitive for the FZ, but not other bikes or cars.

+1 for Dairyland

I have a speeding ticket or two & was paying close to $900 for Liability only with Progressive.

Currently $440 for the same coverage with Dairyland.

A motorcycle shop owner with a really really bad record told me about them. 

Three friends have already switch in the last two weeks.

#weridenyc
2012 FZ8 (Grizzly)
IXIL Hyperlow XL L3X Exhaust
CRG Levers
Traf-X LED Turn Signals
OES Frame Sliders

I went with Dairyland and it's around $1200/yr for full coverage on my fz. I have 1-2 speeding tickets, failure to obey traffic device ticket, and wreck. the traffic ticket and wreck happened at same time when I slid thru red light in my nissan. No more eating chicken nuggets while driving for me. Getting my homeowners with USAA in a couple days curious what they will quote for the fz
I heard on the radio this morning allstate raising rates next month 25% and many policyholders should prepare for rate hike as high as 58%. Crazy.

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx
I went with Dairyland and it's around $1200/yr for full coverage on my fz. I have 1-2 speeding tickets, failure to obey traffic device ticket, and wreck. the traffic ticket and wreck happened at same time when I slid thru red light in my nissan. No more eating chicken nuggets while driving for me. Getting my homeowners with USAA in a couple days curious what they will quote for the fz I heard on the radio this morning allstate raising rates next month 25% and many policyholders should prepare for rate hike as high as 58%. Crazy.

USAA uses Progressive to underwrite their motorcycle policy.

- xCarbonSteelx

• Premium Member

+1 for Dairyland, right now I have Geico and paying 400 a yr for liability only.
I got a quote with Dairyland for 698 a yr for full coverage, went back to Geico and they are telling me 1388 a yr.
I am considering to change for the peace of mind if she gets gone. I live in NYC and I've had a bike stolen once, not a great feeling and especially when you only had liability on her. Now my FZ is kept in the garage at all times but that is still not 100%, full coverage is.

It pays to shop around. Spotless driving record 24 years, got a 65 in 55 about eight months ago (car). 21st instantly doubled my rate. I called around, and wound up with similar policy for less than I was originally paying. According to the internet, typical rate hike on first minor 1-point ticket is 10-20%, so basically I view 21st Century as an abusive company now. I even called and discussed with them about the insanity of their attempted rate hike. They wouldn't back down even when told that I'm shopping to switch. Basically, seems like it pays to switch every 3-4 years, because insurance companies always rate-creep too, claiming "general state rate increases".

twowheeladdict

Your learning a hard lesson about the consequences of screwing around with your license.

Learned mine when was young. Lost it for a year.

Now I try to keep it under control, and if I do mess up and get culled out of the herd for a ticket, I get my asset down to traffic school.

Yep. I had to sell the bike back then and bicycle for a year.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member

Don't know about the other 49 states, but here you can pay a $500 uninsured motorists fee.

This is nothing more than information for the OP, nobody needs to get their jimmies rustled.

Everything went braap.

Archived