The MT-07 Forum

A list of all FZ-07 problems.

olderthandirt

olderthandirt

There aren't any. Sorry for the drama,...but don't you think it's odd that this bike has ZERO manufacturing defects from Yamaha? Any first year model car OR bike always has issues...but not this one. The only thing that FZ-07 owners have complained about was something a dealer screwed up....or stalling while breaking in. After some mileage is put on it shifts smoother..no stalling....the fueling is near flawless...it handles decent...the seat is pretty good etc etc. Amazing.
Being anal retentive I can find things to bitch about if I look hard enough....like that abortion they call a rear fender, and the STOCK exhaust lack of noise...but that's it. I even read the UK forum and nobody over there or in Canada has encountered any engine problems....bad cam chain tensioners...hard seat...jerky throttle....smashed in oil pans...etc. I find that astonishing. Makes me think that Yamaha spent at least a full year developing this bike before they offered it for sale.
So Yamaha.....if you are reading this....well done. Hat's off to the engineers and all the development that went into this bike. I could mention how Yamaha screwed the pooch on the fz-09 but I won't. Thanks for selling a bike that we don't have to fix before we even can ride it.

• Like 1

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

You call the rear fender an abortion, did you mean abomination. Abortion is killing moments before life begins. I have stared at the strange little wings attached to the tag and rear blinker bracket and wondered, "what were they thinking?" Could this be an aerodynamic attempt at controlling rain spray while not creating drag? Or is it a conspiracy to sell aftermarket parts covering up an abortion?
Personally I would call the little wings "warts"! Wing Warts, has a nice ring to it, eh?

• Like 2

So you want a real problem? My beef is with the front blinker stalks that are shock mounted to protect the bulb filament from vibration. Riding on fairly smooth interstates the bouncing stalks are quite distracting. I have to tell myself to stop staring at the dancing lights. Hopefully it is not hypnotic after dark.
Spoke to the dealer about it and they acted stupid... probably wasn't an act!

• Like 1

So you want a real problem? My beef is with the front blinker stalks that are shock mounted to protect the bulb filament from vibration. Riding on fairly smooth interstates the bouncing stalks are quite distracting. I have to tell myself to stop staring at the dancing lights. Hopefully it is not hypnotic after dark. Spoke to the dealer about it and they acted stupid... probably wasn't an act!
This!haha I find it entertaining now though, it adds excitement while driving.

So you want a real problem? My beef is with the front blinker stalks that are shock mounted to protect the bulb filament from vibration. Riding on fairly smooth interstates the bouncing stalks are quite distracting. I have to tell myself to stop staring at the dancing lights. Hopefully it is not hypnotic after dark. Spoke to the dealer about it and they acted stupid... probably wasn't an act!
I cant even tell you how many times Ive caught myself staring at them as I go down the road !! 

I am very happy overall. The only consistent issue seems to be the chain slack. at 200 miles my chain slack was almost at 3". I took it to my dealer and he worked on it right in front of me. Afterwards we talked and he said that it isn't common for chains to stretch this much this soon. That being said, the chain runs with a decent amount of slack in it in the first place. Now with 500 plus miles on it the bike has had no other issues.

• Global Moderator

I think just about everyone has had to adjust the chain slack at about 200 miles. I know I did. It seems like it stabilizes after that and is no longer an issue. I am only at 300 miles so cannot comment personally on that.

olderthandirt

Chain slack isn't what you would call an "issue". It's called maintenance...and you have to do it on all bikes. New chains stretch....it's normal.

Guest MXRider

Many bikes have teething issues right off the bat, however Yamaha has a pretty solid track record with quality. And in my experience, Yamaha has always stood behind their product when they had a problem that was their fault, even outside of warranty.

Plus, let's be honest here, it's not like Yamaha is new to making parallel twin motorcycles. They've been doing it since the 70's. On top of that they have usually been at the head of the class when it comes to suspensions and chassis'.

• Global Moderator

The Japanese manufacturers have quite a reputation when it comes to testing and quality control. I doubt that the FZ/MT will have many 'year one' issues. And like MXrider says, they stand behind their product. It is almost as if they take a complaint personal. I'm talking Yamaha, not the average dealer.
Like every manufacturer, they sometimes drop the ball.
The first batch of WR250R/X should have had a recall because of fuel pump problems, but that only happened in Japan.
The stalling issues some experience might be bigger then some think. In markets where the bike is out longer there are some that call for action. It's probably just a software update I I could see that happen.

There are some little things that kinda bug me, like the typical see my shoulder setup of the mirrors.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I have actually got the mirrors set so the outer half shows what is behind me. The inner half still shows my arm, but it is an improvement.

Chain slack isn't what you would call an "issue". It's called maintenance...and you have to do it on all bikes. New chains stretch....it's normal.

I was referring the chain slack "issue" because there were other folks on the forum as well that seemed to be a little suprised by the chain stretching so quickly.

olderthandirt
I was referring the chain slack "issue" because there were other folks on the forum as well that seemed to be a little suprised by the chain stretching so quickly.
The other folks that you mention must have very little new motorcycle experience because chain stretch is very common on brand new street  bikes. The more torque the bike has...the more the chain stretches. I expect chain life on this bike to be about 8k miles before it needs replaced.  

• Global Moderator

Well, I'm one of the other folks and I was surprised that the chain stretched as much as it did and in the short period of time/usage. Oh, and I've been riding over 25 years now.

• Like 1

Guest MXRider

It's probably an area they cut corners with to keep unit costs down. Cheaper chains use lower quality steel plates and rollers and they stretch more and don't last as long.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I am not sure that is necessarily the case. From what people are reporting after the first adjustment it seems to be stable. If it was cheap metals it seems like it would keep stretching. Wouldn't it?

Most of my new chains have stretched in the first 500 miles. Dirtbikes and streetbikes.

This is a decent o-ring chain that Yamaha is using. Oring chains last a while if you lube them often.

But yeah, Oring chains stretch in the first 500 miles. Maybe more so on this bike an the Fz-09, maybe them being short wheelbase bikes we notice it more, I dunno??

I have been having shifting issues the gear indicator goes blank when down shifting when I come up to a stop and am down shifting to first the indicator goes blank and it will not let me down shift

• Global Moderator

Probably gear alignement. If you play with your clutch a bit it will allow you to shift down.

I have been having shifting issues the gear indicator goes blank when down shifting when I come up to a stop and am down shifting to first the indicator goes blank and it will not let me down shift
This happened to me twice recently. I think it was my bad coz I didn't step on the shifter hard enough.

The other folks that you mention must have very little new motorcycle experience because chain stretch is very common on brand new street  bikes. The more torque the bike has...the more the chain stretches. I expect chain life on this bike to be about 8k miles before it needs replaced.
Would be a good thing to keep an eye on, I suspect a lot of us have never had a bike with a chain or this might be there 1st bike

• 2 weeks later...
I have just a little under 200 miles on my 07, and did the chain adjust last night; like olderthandirt says, it's a regular part of new bike, especially torquey bike, maintenance.  Once the initial stretch is adjusted for, it usually settles down considerably, and you won't have to touch it near as much...  My Sportster drive belt stretched noticeably in the first couple hundred miles, and after adjusting for it, didn't touch it again for 10K miles. YMMV ;-)

2015 FZ-07
2013 TU250X - Sold!