The MT-07 Forum

Signed up for Chuckwalla - May 13th....

ch3rryghost

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

and I have no idea what I'm doing! Can't wait, going with a friend of mine who's got a trailer so we'll be packing up and heading out! It'll be the first time for both of us.  Looks like it's time to buy some gear.

Just wanted to share my excitement, had no clue I'd be hopping onto the track next month when I woke up today haha.

Is it stupid of me to just track w/ my PR4s? Just bought them maybe 2,000 miles ago so they're in good shape. Seems like they only require tires to have 50% tread. I have a tendency to push hard on a closed track and I cannot afford to lay down this bike since it's my only one.  

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

You should be good with PR4s!!! LOL (says the guy who's never been). Congrats Cherry. I can't wait to hit up the track myself.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
You should be good with PR4s!!! LOL (says the guy who's never been). Congrats Cherry. I can't wait to hit up the track myself.
Well, if you say so.... :) 

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I wish. No racing gear yet...except for my gloves.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

Sounds like fun!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator
and I have no idea what I'm doing! Can't wait, going with a friend of mine who's got a trailer so we'll be packing up and heading out! It'll be the first time for both of us.  Looks like it's time to buy some gear. 
Just wanted to share my excitement, had no clue I'd be hopping onto the track next month when I woke up today haha.

Is it stupid of me to just track w/ my PR4s? Just bought them maybe 2,000 miles ago so they're in good shape. Seems like they only require tires to have 50% tread. I have a tendency to push hard on a closed track and I cannot afford to lay down this bike since it's my only one.  
Pr4s should be fine
The softer compound on the outside is damn grippy
Even if the rear does let go its a very controlled drift vs a snappy break
The one and only time ive been to a track, Chris Pine(YCRS guest coach, Ama racer) took my bike out for a couple laps
Said he was amazed at how right this bike feels
This was with a pr4 gt front and rear with the rear at about 15% center treadlife remaining (chickenstripes proudly standing forth)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Love that you are going to the track!You should be excited. It's the most exciting thing you can do on a bike! Are you doing a Friday with 2WTD? If so, have fun! Remember to breath.:)

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
Love that you are going to the track!You should be excited. It's the most exciting thing you can do on a bike! Are you doing a Friday with 2WTD? If so, have fun! Remember to breath.:)
I'm very stoked. Only been on a proper track two times. Socal Supermoto school which was a freakin' BLAST and a Skip Barber deal with Miata's on Laguna Seca which was a dream come true to run that course; best gift still to date.  
Yes, the 13th lands on a Friday now I'm not very superstitious but I think I'm going to take it easy for sure. 

Do you track w/ that company as well? I'll take it any way I can get it :)

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Pr4s should be fine The softer compound on the outside is damn grippy
Even if the rear does let go its a very controlled drift vs a snappy break
The one and only time ive been to a track, Chris Pine(YCRS guest coach, Ama racer) took my bike out for a couple laps
Said he was amazed at how right this bike feels
This was with a pr4 gt front and rear with the rear at about 15% center treadlife remaining (chickenstripes proudly standing forth)

That is great to hear, thanks for your feedback. Just waiting on my suspension, I hope to get it in time!

"I'm very stoked. Only been on a proper track two times. Socal Supermoto school which was a freakin' BLAST and a Skip Barber deal with Miata's on Laguna Seca which was a dream come true to run that course; best gift still to date.  
Yes, the 13th lands on a Friday now I'm not very superstitious but I think I'm going to take it easy for sure. 

Do you track w/ that company as well? I'll take it any way I can get it :) "
No, unfortunately I have to work on Fridays. :(  so have not been to 2WTD. They are new to hosting track days, but I know the guys who run it. They are super nice, and safety minded. The track layout is epic too! No doubt you will have fun! 

• Global Moderator

I'm very stoked. Only been on a proper track two times. Socal Supermoto school which was a freakin' BLAST and a Skip Barber deal with Miata's on Laguna Seca which was a dream come true to run that course; best gift still to date.  

Youve been on Seca with a MIATA??
I'm superbly envious
I was supposed to head out that way a few years ago with my talon, never got the chance due to a broken axle
how was it?
Did you nearly crap yourself the fist time on the corkscrew?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Track day was great! I took the new-to-me bike. Made it there and back unscathed (relatively). Waking up wasn't the issue, it never is. Going to sleep however...that's where I always have problems, the excitement meant I didn't sleep until 12:30 the night before. That resulted in only getting 3.5 hrs of sleep, eh. Brought the bike over to my friends house the night before and did a dry run of securing the bikes down on his open trailer. Needless to say, we learned a lot. The day of we basically cinched everything down and headed out. His bike tipped into mine (caught it 3 mins into the drive trying to hunt down coffee @ 4:50am) when one side of the canyon dancer fell off the handle bar. Initially we had looped the canyon dancers into it self to shorten the slack because of how the tie down point worked with the tie down themselves. However, we were able to rework it to where it wasn't and took off again. Some scuffs on my frame but managed to crack my friend's rear cowl :( Brand new R1M, already damaged. Brand new as in he had 40 miles on it from break-in procedure.

Traffic was light for the most part and made pretty good time despite having to re-adjust after first tip over. Passing through Indio we ran into some traffic due to an accident, and when we pulled off for a fuel stop my bike tipped into his. Luckily, it happened just as we pulled into the station. More scuffs on both bikes but nothing stressful. The trailer managed to rub through the tie down strap that we had to run underneath the trailer to the other side. Subbed in a new tie down, padded it w/ a towel at the point of tension and we were off to finish the last leg of the trip. This was our first time towing two bikes on this trailer and it's clear that we ghetto-rigged it. Did I mention we loaded my bike backwards? Regardless, we made it to the track albeit very late (missed riders meeting and 1st session).

Once we got there we still had prepping to finish (taping/removal) after setting up camp but made it in time to join the second session a few mins after it started. Control rider took us out for one lap and released us into the wild. Took it very easy for the most part, it took me most the day to memorize the track layout and find the line I felt most comfortable with. It wasn't until the 4th and 5th time out that I really pushed. I think we lucked out by choosing Chuckwalla for our first time tracking the bike. Nice fast corners and nothing too tricky. My favorite two turns are the Bowl and the Crash Corner (or whatever it's properly called). They couldn't be any more opposite to me. The bowl gives you loads of confidence and what I'd consider a greater margin of error. That was the corner I was happy to carry an-above-average-for-me entry speed and just lean the hell out of the bike.

I love the late apex left into late apex/off camber right because it helps me with my mental discipline and concentration. It also highlights the importance of being patient and the difference between the right line and wrong line.

Q3's were installed for this track session and they're perfect for me and my skill level. Suspension was adjusted the week of. I have never felt that confident on the bike before. It nice knowing that many professional are on it pushing it to the limits. If I could push the bike to 50% of it's capabilities I'd be happy. Having that in the back pocket frees me mentally of everything allowing me to fully concentrate on the track and the bike itself.

My friend rode every session available to him, I rode one shy. The last session was by far my best and gave me exactly what I was looking for from a track day. My middle sessions were slightly frustrating. My pace was increasing due to my growing knowledge of the course which was great, but I'd find myself behind riders whose pace was slower around corners but would hammer it on the straights. It being my first time and all I didn't want to put myself or others in compromising positions so I'd waste track just cruising/slowing to increase buffer. However as the day progressed, traffic on the track started thinning and by the last run, I was able to run with my friend and his friend. Just the three of us in a bunch with the next rider maybe 30-40 seconds behind. All the other sessions I'd lose my mate in the pack (I say he's got the balls, I got the technique) so it felt great to have a friendly battle, overtook my friend 2nd lap in and followed his friend for the rest of the session. He ran a terrific pace for my comfort level! The bike stayed in Sport mode, next time it'll go into Race. Having gotten used to the braking power of the FZ, there was an obvious disconnect with the S1000, that's definitely my weakest area. Started braking later and later as the day progressed.

It took us a while to load the trailer back up to head out. We must have hung around for an hour and half just trying to recover from the day. In the end, tying the bikes down was much easier this time around. Both bikes were loaded nose front and made it home at 10:30pm. What a day. Now we're shopping for a bigger trailer and better trailer restraints. Eyeing June 4/5th at Chuckwalla :) Gonna see how Group B pace fits. Of course, purchased track day picture to mark the beginning of an era. This is Turn 16 I believe (counterclockwise). I hate that the photographer was only out in the beginning of the day. Didn't come back out after 2nd session, it would have been nice to have a comparison picture from the beginning of the day vs the end.
[attachment id=1702" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=1703" thumbnail="1]

I would still like to take the FZ out, once I get my suspension from Matt installed and tuned it'll get its chance but the BMW was certainly better suited for this. It sleeps in the garage for days on end so it'd be a little unfair to not split my time  (rofl)

"I'm very stoked. Only been on a proper track two times. Socal Supermoto school which was a freakin' BLAST and a Skip Barber deal with Miata's on Laguna Seca which was a dream come true to run that course; best gift still to date.  

Do you track w/ that company as well? I'll take it any way I can get it :) "
No, unfortunately I have to work on Fridays. :(   so have not been to 2WTD. They are new to hosting track days, but I know the guys who run it. They are super nice, and safety minded. The track layout is epic too! No doubt you will have fun!

I really only interacted with Josh; was introduced to Sergio. Josh was very friendly and checked in with us mid-day. I REALLY like Chuckwalla as a course.

Youve been on Seca with a MIATA?? I'm superbly envious
I was supposed to head out that way a few years ago with my talon, never got the chance due to a broken axle
how was it?
Did you nearly crap yourself the fist time on the corkscrew?

It honestly wasn't scary in a car and I am embarrassed every time I mention this but the number of times I've ran around Laguna Seca on Gran Turismo really gave me an advantage over others even though I never stepped foot on the track. It was such a seamless transition for me, didn't have to allocate precious track time to learn the turns, etc. HOWEVER I DOUBT I'll sing the same tune on a motorcycle though, I'm pretty sure physics tells me I'll just fly off superman style, can't wait. It was such a great experience, managed to wreck it on turn 4 but hopped in a spare and headed back out (thank god my husband bought me insurance! 4k in damage 1k deductible). I had never owned a manual trans before so it was fun to be able to dump the clutch and be in a 'race' environment in someone else's hardware haha

The corkscrew at Chuckwalla ain't bad. And then there's the banked turn...

SUCH a great turn!

So how was the day?

It's an experience everyone should go through. Just pure unadulterated fun. You don't even need to be an adrenaline junkie, if you like riding, you should ride track. Removing all those variables that we're worried about on city streets is such a liberating feeling. Have you tracked there before? We're looking at doing a 2-day in the beginning of June, you should look into it. Squeezing all that into a day while certainly doable, is not preferable to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
 Eyeing June 4/5th at Chuckwalla :) Gonna see how Group B pace fits. 

Glad you had a good time!  Did you ever sign up for Chuckwalla for June 4/5?

I'll be out there both days...so if you go please be sure to stop by and say hi!

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
 Eyeing June 4/5th at Chuckwalla :) Gonna see how Group B pace fits. 
Glad you had a good time!  Did you ever sign up for Chuckwalla for June 4/5? 
I'll be out there both days...so if you go please be sure to stop by and say hi!

- Paulie

I'm only there on Sunday :( Running slow group! Very curious as to how it'll run CW, couldn't be more excited--what's your setup like? I'll be there with a white Ridgeline and trailer, me my friend and his wife. I'd love to meet up and chat!

• Premium Member

Awesome! Glad you can make it out, even if it's only for Sunday :)

My set up?

For ergos, I'm using the Driven TT rearsets in their higest and furthest back position, and the Woodraft Clip-On style bars with the 1.5" rise in the down position.

For power mods, I have the Akra Ti exhaust, custom dynotuned map with a Power Commander 5, DNA Airbox cover and filter.

For suspension, I'm runing Traxxion Dynamics AK20 fully adjustable cartridges in the forks, and a Traxion Dynamics spec'd Penske 8987 Triple Adjustable rear shock with remote reservoir.

For tires, I'm using Pirelli SuperCorsa SC2's front and rear (DOT approved race tire) and Capit tire warmers (as used in MotoGP)

I'll be in Level 3 both days, but Sat for level 3 they are having an advanced riders clinic so I signed up for that as well.

My goal this weekend is to do a bit of tire testing, as well as battery testing.

I normally run the stock size rear tire, a 180/55/17, but I'll also be testing a 180/60/17. The 60 series is taller which from talking to guys in the know, raising the rear of this bike helps a lot with the handling (which I think is already fantastic).

Andy of AP Motoarts (the shop in Cali building the FZ-07R racebikes), is running a 318mm eye to eye rear shock length (stock is 310mm), his rear link (which adds a little height as well), and the 60 series rear tire.

I've extended my rear shock already about 4mm, so even if i change to the taller 60 series rear tire, I'm still not as tall as the FZ-07R so I won't have to shorten my rear shock to compensate. Andy told me to just put the 60 series rear tire and go with it - so that's what I'm gonna try on Sunday.

I'm also going to test a new lithium battery from Earth-X. It's supposed to b a direct replacement for the stock battery and weighs just 2.2 lbs vs 7 for the OEM battery. It also has 40 more cold cranking amps that stock, and the cool thing about the Earth-X brand is that it has the circuitry built in to the battery so you can charge it with a regular charger an a special lithium charger is not required.

I want to see if I notice the weight savings as far as handling goes, and I'll be bringing my AIM solo GPS lap timer too to see if it translates to tangible results in reduced lap times :)

It's gonna be so hot though I just hope I make it through the weekend without passing out, LoL! Saturday's forecast calles for a record high of 115 degrees, and Sun is supposed to be 110.

Anyway, I know some folks that have an air conditioned trailer that I might hang out in, but I'll be pitted with my primer grey Nissan pick up and my buddies Red Ford Ranger pick up. I'll be the guy in that area that looks like he's about to pass out! Lol!

I'll definitely look out for ya and stop by to chat :)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
My set up?

For ergos, I'm using the Driven TT rearsets in their higest and furthest back position, and the Woodraft Clip-On style bars with the 1.5" rise in the down position.

For power mods, I have the Akra Ti exhaust, custom dynotuned map with a Power Commander 5, DNA Airbox cover and filter.

For suspension, I'm runing Traxxion Dynamics AK20 fully adjustable cartridges in the forks, and a Traxion Dynamics spec'd Penske 8987 Triple Adjustable rear shock with remote reservoir.

For tires, I'm using Pirelli SuperCorsa SC2's front and rear (DOT approved race tire) and Capit tire warmers (as used in MotoGP)

I'll be in Level 3 both days, but Sat for level 3 they are having an advanced riders clinic so I signed up for that as well.

My goal this weekend is to do a bit of tire testing, as well as battery testing.

I normally run the stock size rear tire, a 180/55/17, but I'll also be testing a 180/60/17. The 60 series is taller which from talking to guys in the know, raising the rear of this bike helps a lot with the handling (which I think is already fantastic).

Andy of AP Motoarts (the shop in Cali building the FZ-07R racebikes), is running a 318mm eye to eye rear shock length (stock is 310mm), his rear link (which adds a little height as well), and the 60 series rear tire.

I've extended my rear shock already about 4mm, so even if i change to the taller 60 series rear tire, I'm still not as tall as the FZ-07R so I won't have to shorten my rear shock to compensate. Andy told me to just put the 60 series rear tire and go with it - so that's what I'm gonna try on Sunday.

I'm also going to test a new lithium battery from Earth-X. It's supposed to b a direct replacement for the stock battery and weighs just 2.2 lbs vs 7 for the OEM battery. It also has 40 more cold cranking amps that stock, and the cool thing about the Earth-X brand is that it has the circuitry built in to the battery so you can charge it with a regular charger an a special lithium charger is not required.

I want to see if I notice the weight savings as far as handling goes, and I'll be bringing my AIM solo GPS lap timer too to see if it translates to tangible results in reduced lap times :)

It's gonna be so hot though I just hope I make it through the weekend without passing out, LoL! Saturday's forecast calles for a record high of 115 degrees, and Sun is supposed to be 110.

Anyway, I know some folks that have an air conditioned trailer that I might hang out in, but I'll be pitted with my primer grey Nissan pick up and my buddies Red Ford Ranger pick up. I'll be the guy in that area that looks like he's about to pass out! Lol!

- Paulie

Nice Paulie,

What direction did you go in terms of wheels--I'm assuming that was a tremendous difference from stock rims. I'd like to get my FZ out there when the Matris suspension gets installed! Definitely want to catch you and see the bike. You'll be there all the way til the end, yeah?

• Premium Member
My set up?

- Paulie

Nice Paulie, 
What direction did you go in terms of wheels--I'm assuming that was a tremendous difference from stock rims. I'd like to get my FZ out there when the Matris suspension gets installed! Definitely want to catch you and see the bike. You'll be there all the way til the end, yeah?

Yep, I'll be there until the end :) 
As for wheels, I got a second set of stock wheels from Andy at AP MotoArts so I can have a set with race tires and street tires and just switch them out for trackdays

• Premium Member

It was great meeting you @ch3rryghost! Wish I could have rode with you guys because at the end of the day they had open sessions, but I was already packed up. 117 degree heat is no joke, lol.

Hope to see ya at the next one! And get that FZ out there!!!

- Paulie

• Global Moderator
It was great meeting you @ch3rryghost! Wish I could have rode with you guys because at the end of the day they had open sessions, but I was already packed up. 117 degree heat is no joke, lol. 

- Paulie
117°....?
thats cute.. :P
when you see the 122° we saw in central phoenix... then you can complain :P

• Premium Member

Sure @sorkyah, but were you raging around on your bike in a full leather suit on a racetrack in central phoenix? I think not Sir!

LoL!!!

- Paulie

• Global Moderator
Sure @sorkyah, but were you raging around on your bike in a full leather suit on a racetrack in central phoenix? I think not Sir! 
LoL!!!

- Paulie
Not....YET!!!
I would love to

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost
It was great meeting you @ch3rryghost ! Wish I could have rode with you guys because at the end of the day they had open sessions, but I was already packed up. 117 degree heat is no joke, lol. 

- Paulie

Ha! I gotta find some more skill before I'd be able to ride/keep up w/ you ;)

GREAT meeting you and can't wait to get the FZ out there. Next track day we're looking at is a 2-day affair at Button Willow, July 16-17 I believe through Pacific Track Time (or something like that)

My goal is to make it to Spring Mountain--ever ride there? Looks like a crazy facility, great track layouts too.

• Premium Member
It was great meeting you @ch3rryghost ! Wish I could have rode with you guys because at the end of the day they had open sessions, but I was already packed up. 117 degree heat is no joke, lol. 

- Paulie
Ha! I gotta find some more skill before I'd be able to ride/keep up w/ you ;)

GREAT meeting you and can't wait to get the FZ out there. Next track day we're looking at is a 2-day affair at Button Willow, July 16-17 I believe through Pacific Track Time (or something like that)

My goal is to make it to Spring Mountain--ever ride there? Looks like a crazy facility, great track layouts too.

Spring Mountain is AWESOME!  I love that place.  So many different layouts, excellent facility, etc.  It's my local track, located in Pahrump, NV...about an hour away from me in Las Vegas.

The next track day there with Track Xperience will be at the end of August and I'll definitely be there!  Hope you guys can make it out, and your FZ is sorted by then!

- Paulie

Archived