The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura R77 muffler repacking... had yours done?

Jeckler

• Premium Member

Has anyone repacked their Yoshi CF? Either yourself or sent in the can. Did it make a difference in performance or sound?

- Andy

bmwpowere36m3

Really shouldn't have to for MANY, MANY miles... I do it every so often on my dirt bike (with a Yoshi pipe), but its hard on packing. Their packing is really good... SS wool wound around the baffle and very dense packed fiber-wool around that. Its relatively easy if you have some basic tools and skills.

From what I remember, you can either buy a "kit" from Yoshi for reasonable money (~$50) or send it in to them for a bit more.

• Premium Member

Thanks, but I'm wondering if the sound level changed. Not tone, volume. My bike has 10k on it and have no idea how long the exhaust had been on it. I'm running a stock exhaust for now because it's way too loud for my taste. And yes, the baffle is in it.

- Andy

bmwpowere36m3

Hard to say, most aftermarket exhausts are loud... to varying degrees. I notice a slight decrease in noise and "tinny-ness" when repacking. The packing would have to really be blown out to notice a difference IMHO.

Knock on the muffler with your knuckle, should be somewhat a dull-sound and NOT ring. You could either take it apart and see the condition of the packing or send it off and see what happens for some $

Better yet, try and find someone local with an aftermarket exhaust and judge the noise level for yourself. They ain't quite, that's for sure.

Has anyone repacked their Yoshi CF? Either yourself or sent in the can. Did it make a difference in performance or sound?
I did mine last night. I'm a vw technician for 13 years. My first time doing this. Took me 3 hours to repacked And sounds deeper. Performance is about the same. I would recommend to send the muffler to get repacked from yoshimura. The instruction is a little off. They give you 1 1/2 insulation to put in the muffler. But it does not fit. Instructions said to wrap the 1 pack to the pipe. Had to ripped the net off the 1 pack of insulation and hand packing the rest it self with a prybar. Total of 1 1/2 insulation. The repacking comes with 12 rivets, 1 1/2 insulation, yoshimura badge and instruction.
My muffler has 20k miles.

ilie1977

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

I think I'll have to do this next year maybe.

It's noticeably louder than when I first installed it. Those SS rivets will be a PITA to remove, they'll definitely be replaced with aluminum rivets. Other than that this looks to be yet another job that's not especially difficult, just tedious and time-consuming. The rivets should be the hardest part besides breaking the sealant's adhesion.

I hate to say this but, depending on the cost, it may be better to just have Yoshimura do the work for me.

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• Premium Member

I get mine repacked by Yoshi. I use to live a few miles from them, so I'd drop it off and get it back in a few days. 

You can most likely go over 10K miles. I sent it once around there and they said I probably could've gone longer. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived