The MT-07 Forum

Engine Break-in

varo

Dyno vs Traditional.

I am interested in having my engine broken in using the dyno method.  A race shop close by offers a full service break in, tune, etc. as needed.

Has anyone done a dyno break in?  

My main reason for looking into this is that I looking to do the break-in, exhaust install and tune all at the same time and get it over with.

I keep hearing conflicting opinions on this and would like to hear if anyone has actually gone the dyno route.

The owner of the shop has been working on bikes for over 15 years and specializes in race bikes and turbo set ups. 

ParticleCannon

What is he gonna charge? Exhausts aren't hard to do, and tunes are available for all popular exhausts one way or another (FC or re-flash)

bmwpowere36m3

Dyno vs. Traditional… What do you mean? There's really only TWO distinct break-in methods: factory and "hard" aka Mototune. Factory break-in methods are what they are… conservative and generally break-in lasts for a longer period of time (maybe 1500-2000 miles). Then there's the "hard" or Mototune method, hard and fast. People fall on both sides of the argument and some even combine both methods to various degrees.

The dyno is simply a rolling road and both methods could be done on it. However the factory method would take a LOT of dyno time. So likely the dyno break-in is hard and fast. The only caution I see with the dyno method vs. doing it on the street (hard and fast) is airflow. Granted they setup fans, but overheating on the dyno is likely a bigger concern than on the street.

I broke my bike in on the street following the Mototune method. Most important was to constantly varying the throttle… didn't need high RPM, just heavy acceleration followed by long periods of full-deceleration (load). I also kept a close watch of coolant temps, to make sure the bike wasn't running too hot. I took off from the dealership, rode easy at first to let the bike fully warm up and progressively rode harder and harder (slowly increased load and RPM throughout the ride). Did about 120 miles that first day. Got home and immediately changed the oil and filter. On the rides following that I focused less on pushing it HARD, instead just varying the throttle a lot. Anyway, bike runs like a top and doesn't burn any oil. I did change it [oil/filter] frequently in the first 1000 miles (probably 4 times).

Dyno would be the hard method, yes. Charge is $200 for the whole package.

He said it takes a few hours and is equivalent to a couple hundred miles.

Also, he said temps are constantly monitored and the bike is left to cool down completely before the second set of pulls.

Thanks for the input.

AlbatrossCafe

I've done "hard" break in for all of my bikes and haven't had problems with any. My dad has done "soft" break in for all of his bikes and hasn't had any problems with any. IMHO modern bikes will be OK any way that you break it in as long as you don't sit at constant RPM's for a long time or lug the engine during the first 600 miles or so. Dyno would be worth it if you ask me so that you can get the break in over with faster and ride how you wanna ride lol, especially if it is only $200

Guest Ralph

What some people do with race engines is monitor the crankcase pressure,
hence ring blow bye, they do hard pulls and as the rings bed in the crankcase
pressure drops, when it stops dropping the engine is considered run in.
I don't recommend it but that's what they do.

Archived