The MT-07 Forum

Check engine light with code SD-13

jchin3081

Hi everyone,

I looked regarding the topic on this forum and the web and didn't find too much. All I found was how to go into self diagnostic mode and what the code meant. I wanted to see if anyone else encountered this problem at such low mileage and if they had an easy fix or solution.

Here's what happened:
I had a little over 700 miles on the odo when I rode it yesterday when out of nowhere the check engine light came on and the bike sounded like it had a misfire and just didn't sound right. I could tell It didn't have full power. Also once I turned off the bike and turned it back on, bike would crank but wouldn't start. Took a bunch of times before it started again and with the same issues. Looked up the code and it seems to have something to do with the air intake pressure sensor.

I thought that maybe if I tried it again today, the bike gods would mysteriously take care of it, but still wasn't right.

Planning to schedule something with the dealer Tuesday since it should still be under warranty with only 700 miles, but hoping it's not too big of a problem and someone can give me some advice. Also want to note this is a 2016 model and I do not have an Aftermarket exhaust right now and have not done anything with the engine yet.

Thx!!!

• Global Moderator

I am not sure where the airflow intake sensor is (I am not at home to check the manual), but I would try to find it and make sure the wires are connected. If they are just let the dealer fix it under warranty.

I am not sure where the airflow intake sensor is (I am not at home to check the manual), but I would try to find it and make sure the wires are connected. If they are just let the dealer fix it under warranty.

Thanks for the advice. I checked all the connections I could see, but everything to the most part looked connected.

Looks like the dealer will probally be my best and only option. Only issue I have is that I live in San Francisco. The Yamaha dealer that was closest closed down. The next one is about 20 miles away, but I do not trust them at all. I went to that dealer over the weekend to tell them the issues and how it's having problems starting, the guy didn't seem like he was knowledgable about bikes and kept saying it's because I needed to do the oil change and schedule my first maintenance. I even asked him if that would cause the check engine light and no-start and he kept working around the question (I already knew it wouldn't).

The dealer that I purchase my bikes from is the one I want to use and most likely plan to. Problem is it's about 45 to 50 miles away. I have to find a way to get back home after I drop off the bike and also a way to get there once it's done. I could ask friends or my wife, but don't really want to inconvenience them If I don't need to.

This sucks, the warm weather is coming and I don't want to be without my bike.

• Global Moderator

Maybe you could talk to them and see if they can do it while you wait. A couple of hours at the dealership looking at other bikes and maybe even doing some test rides would not be a bad use of your time :) It is never too soon to be looking for your next bike (or at least that is what you can tell them).

Yo i take mine to Berkley Yamaha they treat me rite, since it is the closet one but if i can a choose id go to santa rosa yamaha every single time. 

Yo i take mine to Berkley Yamaha they treat me rite, since it is the closet one but if i can a choose id go to santa rosa yamaha every single time.

That's actually the dealer I went to that was about 20miles away.

That's actually the dealer I went to that was about 20miles away.
The older white guy behind the counter is rude as heck, dont get me wrong but they get it done for anything I need. I would rather go there than Hayward or SJO. If your looking to check out of pocket few good places in SF that are amazing!  

I have a few people I know that own motorcycle repair shops in the city and Millbrae that I've used through the years, but hoping to take care of this through warranty. If it's just the sensor, I could do it myself..., but might as well let them take care of it. I need to get it done so I can go on some rides with the rest of the Bay Area riders here.

I've never been to Eastbay Motorsports before. Did you have a bad experience with them? Just wondering incase I decide to ever go there in the future.

My friend got a 2015 r1 and they did not honor the recall he had to take it to Berkeley in the end

• Global Moderator
My friend got a 2015 r1 and they did not honor the recall he had to take it to Berkeley in the end
I hope your friend complained to Yamaha about that. They need to know when dealers are not doing their job. 

I don't know if it would trigger an SD- it probably wouldn't, but check the airbox just in case.  Remove the main seat and with a flashlight look through the air snorkel.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• 3 months later...
Just got this one too. Ever got it fixed?

I wish I had good news. Mine was at the dealer waiting for a special order part for over a month. They were able to find the part a little sooner than expected, but still took awhile.

It might be something that's available now, but wasn't a few months ago. It was around March or April when I needed the part. At that time, the dealer said the part would be on back order until July.

If you're still under warranty, make sure the dealer takes care of it so you don't need to put any money out. When this part failed on the bike, I only had 800 miles.

It might be something that's available now, but wasn't a few months ago. It was around March or April when I needed the part. At that time, the dealer said the part would be on back order until July. 
If you're still under warranty, make sure the dealer takes care of it so you don't need to put any money out. When this part failed on the bike, I only had 800 miles.

Unfortunately it's just out of the warranty now..

Damn. That sucks.

Well, atleast the parts not too pricey. I think the air intake pressure sensor is an easy fix right under the fuel tank. Is it running crappy and sometimes hard to start?

Damn. That sucks.  
Well, atleast the parts not too pricey. I think the air intake pressure sensor is an easy fix right under the fuel tank. Is it running crappy and sometimes hard to start?

It will start but idle roughly and then will stall shortly after

Guest Ralph

You could try disconnecting it this will sometimes force the ecu into loading
safe values and if the bike then runs better it is likely but not certain it
is that sensor.

Archived