The MT-07 Forum

What seat?

rowdy

• Premium Member

Okay, I think I've had it with the stock seat, and I haven't even done any really long rides yet.  I have Renthal utlra-low bars and set back rearsets, and I'd like to park my butt in to a more rearward position on the saddle, but it won't let me.  I found a saddle on ebay that had a scuffed cover for cheap and I bought it with a plan to send it to someone to make me a more comfortable seat.

The options seem to be:

Corbin - I've used their seats before and loved them, but it was on a cruiser, and I'm not completely sold on their customer service or the one piece saddle (can't use the pan I picked up either)

[/url]Seat Concepts - They currently have two options: gripper and faux carbon, neither of which seem great to me (I normally ride in jeans), and so far I haven't been impressed with the quality of the stitching and fit, from the photos I've seen.

Lamm - The web site looks great, and they have a basket weave texture that looks like it would be a good compromise between the gripper and carbon from SC.

Price wise, SC is probably about half of the other two options.

I'm leaning towards having Lamm fit me up. 

Feedback???

Why can't left turners see us?

603nytroxtx

I just started another thread today called "Corbin Two-Piece Seat response". I am in the same dilemma as you I wanted to go the Lamm route but I would be looking at almost $500 for the dual work. 

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

• Premium Member

Have you considered finding a small, independent uoholsterer and talk with them about what you want? There's many, many skilled craftsmen tucked away in the U.S. and one of 'em may be near by.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I'd go with your original plan of finding someone to custom design a seat for you using the one you got off ebay or the oem pan. You should be able to find an upholsterer near you that caters to and understands the needs of bikers. (Even if it isn't their main business) Get recommendations from other bikers or start calling upholsterers near you to ask what they can do. The buttocks needs to be happy.  :))

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I would go with @hobbs and @hippiebikerchick 's suggestion of checking out some marine upholstery shops. These places have everything you could possibly want for a killer custom seat, and better still, you choose and feel what you're getting for your money and generally prices are (should be) pretty decent if not better than these other seat offerings.

I almost went to the upholstery shop but got lazy and went with a Yamaha "comfort seat" instead, seems pretty good so far. If my butt gets sore I'll add one of the many gel pad inserts that are available.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

If you look at the post 603nytroxtx mentioned you'll see my bike with a Corbin on it, and I love it. If you'd like pictures from certain angles to help your decision I'd happily supply them.

• Premium Member

Go to a private upholstery. Pick a nice looking new custom fabric or two and add some padding. It's maybe 200.00 for the job but looks way better than those Corbin seats which I think are not the nicest looking for this bike. You can get the upholstery to add an angled foam pad to make your aggressive riding style more comfortable also. Call the dealerships around your town to see which upholstery place they use to find one that is used to doing actual motorcycle seats. I did this and no ragrets.

Have you considered finding a small, independent uoholsterer and talk with them about what you want? There's many, many skilled craftsmen tucked away in the U.S. and one of 'em may be near by.
Thank you for mentioning that! It's true, they're all over. I had mine redone (M&D Upholstery, Ruskin, Fl.) with some custom, super soft/comfy gel and the original cover and I've been able to ride for 3-4 hours at a time without any aches/pains. It cost me $200 and they were so personable and friendly they even made an adjustment later on without charging me a penny extra. Not that any of the businesses mentioned are bad but it's my personal opinion that home town businesses are where it's at, just like Ma & Pa restaurants.

Beemer

• Premium Member

That's awesome @beemer
Most of the time those guys stand behind their work and you get more than you really pay for.

Not to mention you're helping someone do what they love, put food on the table and it keeps the cash flow local. There's not much I dislike more than a corporate conglomerate. They don't give a damn about anything but profit at whatever cost necessary. Not that I'm saying the folks listed above fit that category. I just think the country would be much better without the mom and pop killers we so fervently support in the name of cheap, low quality consumer goods.

Everything went braap.

That's awesome @beemer Most of the time those guys stand behind their work and you get more than you really pay for.

Not to mention you're helping someone do what they love, put food on the table and it keeps the cash flow local. There's not much I dislike more than a corporate conglomerate. They don't give a damn about anything but profit at whatever cost necessary. Not that I'm saying the folks listed above fit that category. I just think the country would be much better without the mom and pop killers we so fervently support in the name of cheap, low quality consumer goods.
Agreed, keeping the community thriving! Heck, the owner, Daryl (first name basis a plus) and I sometimes cross paths at the local Tiki Bar and he always asks me how I'm liking the seat and if any problems with his work just let him know. Big plus: A phone call that it's finished and ten minutes later the product is in my hands and ready for use, no wait time for delivery. The man has been in the business for over 20 yrs. and mostly does marine upholstery but will do upholstery on anything your butt can sit on, not just bike seats. I recently saw some Emu skin (faux) for bikes and talked to Daryl about the possibility of having it put on and it's no problem of course but what he said surprised me a little, he said why would you want to do that? The bike looks awesome already! He's not money grubbing or else he would've said to bring it in. So, after some careful thought I calmed down on the idea but I still may jump at it one day. I like the idea that it's gray and cooler in the sun and the pebbling might help with sliding around. Looks cool, too, I think but then again there's gray stingray! Woot! 

http://www.amazon.com/G018-Gray-Ostrich-Leather-Vinyl/dp/B00B2USTA0/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1459536261&sr=8-2&keywords=emu+skin+seat+material

http://www.amazon.com/G890-Gray-Stingray-Leather-Vinyl/dp/B00JZXK4Y0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=61Sq06AkZGL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0QD9N6C2TTGJR9VWS3SF

Beemer

• Premium Member

Well, whoever posted the link to Laam's has kinda made it difficult for me to focus on anything else.  I sent them an email and they responded quickly and here are two quotes: "We are getting a lot of FZ-07's lately", and "Seth will call you personally to discuss your specific needs for your seat" which kinda hooked me.  The first quote makes me think they will know how to make it fit the FZ-07 pan, and if the gallery is any indication, they are experts at their craft. The second quote makes me think I will be able to give some good input on my needs (as opposed to my experience with the Corbin guys), so I think I'm going that way.   They have a long lead time, but since I have an extra saddle, I won't be without riding.  I'd love to support someone locally, but I just don't know of anyone in my area, and in the internet age, if I can't google them then they don't exist. :)   (sarcasm people, but really... I couldn't find anyone who does MC seats in my area).

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived