The MT-07 Forum

(Poll) How do you run your exhaust?

AlbatrossCafe

• Premium Member

Baffle in; Ixil 3B exhaust; snorkel in and mostly a weekend warrior

Love to ride!

My personal opinion that exhaust should be the last thing on your list when it comes to a budget bike. Suspension, brakes, and tires are what will make you faster and safer. Exhaust just makes you noisier.
I understand your reasoning and agree for the most part but would have to say that the "and safer" probably depends more on where you live and how you ride so there's no cookie cutter answer for everyone. In my case, neither suspension, brakes nor tires have kept me safe as much as my noisy pipe have. The number of people that come into my lane when I'm right beside them since my noisy pipe install has dropped dramatically. 

Beemer

twowheeladdict
My personal opinion that exhaust should be the last thing on your list when it comes to a budget bike. Suspension, brakes, and tires are what will make you faster and safer. Exhaust just makes you noisier.
Well... we all know what opinions are like. ;) Feel faster?  Buy a bigger bike.  Feel safer?  Drive a 5 star rated SUV.  Have more fun?  Do what you want with YOUR bike. :)

That's why I said "my personal opinion", which of course is based on 30 years of riding several hundred thousand miles on everything from $400 to close to $30,000 bikes. 
You obviously don't understand what suspension actually does, or tires or brakes for that matter.  Riding slow and loud to get everyone to look how cool you look on the bike is a valid reason to ride though if you are still in the finding a mate years.

2015 FZ-07

twowheeladdict
I understand your reasoning and agree for the most part but would have to say that the "and safer" probably depends more on where you live and how you ride so there's no cookie cutter answer for everyone. In my case, neither suspension, brakes nor tires have kept me safe as much as my noisy pipe have. The number of people that come into my lane when I'm right beside them since my noisy pipe install has dropped dramatically. 
First, you shouldn't be riding beside someone.  If you are passing them, get past them.  If the car in front of you keeps you from getting past them, hang back until you can pass them.  If they take that space, you aren't there with no place to go.  I recommend reading "street strategies" and "proficient motorcycling" by David Hough. 
Better suspension keeps your tires in contact with the pavement, and an evasive maneuver doesn't upset the suspension.  Stickier tires allow you to evade and brake without losing traction.  Better brakes allow you to take advantage of the better tires and suspension.

Louder exhaust just annoys and posses people off and could cause legislation that limits riding, or cause people to practice road rage.

2015 FZ-07

twowheeladdict
So I am assuming you voted for "stock" exhaust in the poll? More power to you if can live without an aftermarket exhaust - you save like $800 and your ears, I envy that!
Yes. Stock exhaust.  I'd rather spend $800 making it a better handling bike.

2015 FZ-07

First, you shouldn't be riding beside someone.  If you are passing them, get past them.  If the car in front of you keeps you from getting past them, hang back until you can pass them.  If they take that space, you aren't there with no place to go.  I recommend reading "street strategies" and "proficient motorcycling" by David Hough. 
Better suspension keeps your tires in contact with the pavement, and an evasive maneuver doesn't upset the suspension.  Stickier tires allow you to evade and brake without losing traction.  Better brakes allow you to take advantage of the better tires and suspension.

Louder exhaust just annoys and posses people off and could cause legislation that limits riding, or cause people to practice road rage.
First, you shouldn't jump to conclusions. When I said "people that come into my lane when I'm right beside them" I meant when in the process of passing them, not stupidly hanging right beside them. I'm sorry you wasted your time and thanks for the tip on the book but that's for people that need help. Enjoy your book!

Beemer

twowheeladdict

First, you shouldn't jump to conclusions. When I said "people that come into my lane when I'm right beside them" I meant when in the process of passing them, not stupidly hanging right beside them. I'm sorry you wasted your time and thanks for the tip on the book but that's for people that need help. Enjoy your book!
I have enjoyed the books and people willing to improve their riding have as well.  I did't jump to a conclusion.  Response was based on information provided.  I have quiet exhaust and no issue with people merging into me.  Would I be jumping to a conclusion that the drivers where you live are worse than the drivers where I live, or that you attract bad drivers, or that you put yourself into hazardous situations?  

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member
Well... we all know what opinions are like. ;) Feel faster?  Buy a bigger bike.  Feel safer?  Drive a 5 star rated SUV.  Have more fun?  Do what you want with YOUR bike. :)

That's why I said "my personal opinion", which of course is based on 30 years of riding several hundred thousand miles on everything from $400 to close to $30,000 bikes. 
You obviously don't understand what suspension actually does, or tires or brakes for that matter.  Riding slow and loud to get everyone to look how cool you look on the bike is a valid reason to ride though if you are still in the finding a mate years.
I don't understand what suspension actually does?  Sorry pal, I have a few years of riding experience on you, probably on more bikes, but feel free to rant.  :)  I was just trying to point out that some peoples values may be different than yours.  It's an FZ-07.  The suspension is more than adequate for everyday riding, as are the tires and brakes.  The sound is too... to some people.  The beauty of the FZ-07 is that all those things are adequate, yet can easily be changed to suit your riding.  If you have 30 years experience and can't ride safely with the stock suspension, tires and brakes, you shouldn't be on a bike period. 

Why can't left turners see us?

twowheeladdict
I don't understand what suspension actually does?  Sorry pal, I have a few years of riding experience on you, probably on more bikes, but feel free to rant.  :)   I was just trying to point out that some peoples values may be different than yours.  It's an FZ-07.  The suspension is more than adequate for everyday riding, as are the tires and brakes.  The sound is too... to some people.  The beauty of the FZ-07 is that all those things are adequate, yet can easily be changed to suit your riding.  If you have 30 years experience and can't ride safely with the stock suspension, tires and brakes, you shouldn't be on a bike period.
My rants directed at the new rider who thinks that loud exhaust is the most important change to a bike.  Sorry that I mis took you for a new rider based on your post.  What exhaust should I run seems to be the most prevalent subject on this forum, and you as an experienced rider knows that changing the exhaust has the least value added for a new rider.  I will stay out of any exhaust threads from now on.  

2015 FZ-07

If people are looking at you for any reason then you're bettering your chances of staying safe, true? 

Beemer

When I run across something with double meaning I usually ask the person just what they meant to be sure. Also, when speaking to people on this forum it's easy to spot mistakes by noobs (or what you think is a noob or a mistake) and it's only natural to want to step in to correct and help them but you really have to watch how you talk to people in the process. It's cool, I get you. Consider this squashed.

Beemer

Baffles out with my SC Project system, snorkel removed, Dobeck EJK. Ride 10 miles to work, usually hoon around for a couple hours afterwards if its nice out, go on the occasional full day weekend ride with family/friends which I sometimes throw the baffles back in for.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Baffle out, but honestly, that's the way my bike came, with an M4 GP short exhaust. Wait, am I no longer able to participate? :(

Akrapovic Carbon, baffle in. Haven't tried it without baffle but I will soon! Weekend warrior but I ride to work sometimes into DC.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Baffle out, but honestly, that's the way my bike came, with an M4 GP short exhaust. Wait, am I no longer able to participate? :(
Sat on a Gixxer today.

SigSide.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

M4 slip on with baffle in. What a difference from stock exhaust! I ride around town, into the country,

and around the beach.

Alex

Archived