The MT-07 Forum

What Octane gasoline to use ?

ExTex

I see  to use "Premium Fuel" but that is from the English owner's manual.

I wonder whether mid grade or premium US fuel is acceptable ?
Have any owners experimented with different brands or grades of gas ?

Ride Safely,

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MXRider

Plenty are reporting no problems using 87 octane fuel. This bike is fairly low compression and has a mild tune so pinging shouldn't be an issue on a stock bike.

My US manual says 87 Octane is fine.
If you have not tuned an engine to use higher Octane, you are simply wasting money by putting in the more expensive stuff

olderthandirt
Plenty are reporting no problems using 87 octane fuel. This bike is fairly low compression and has a mild tune so pinging shouldn't be an issue on a stock bike.
How do you figure that 11.5 to 1 is "fairly low compression" ??? 

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

I'm gonna use 89 or 91. Whichever is the mid grade at the gas station. But I've always wondered, you know the gas pumps at gas stations that only have one hose and nozzle? Since were only getting a few gallons or less, are we still getting whatever fuel grade was left in the line from the last guy that filled up? Let's say you just wanna top off your tank with premium. So you go to the gas station and pick premium. You top it off and it's only about a half gallon of fuel. Are you getting the regular fuel that was left in the line from the last guy? Or do the gas pumps drain whats in the hose after every use? I've always just wondered.

• Global Moderator

I wish I could answer that questions. I have wondered about that too. Hopefully someone here can answer that for us.

Guest MXRider
How do you figure that 11.5 to 1 is "fairly low compression" ???
Because it is. A 2015 YZ250F has a 13.5:1 compression ratio and will run on 91 octane pump gas.

Guest unknown

Most gas stations these days have 2 storage tanks; one for premium and one for regular. Any mixing is done by the pump or by the delivery guy if there are 3 tanks. My quick google-fu shows that the hose contains approx. 1/3 gallon of fuel in it. At worst about 10% of your next fuel (assuming you are near empty) is going to be regular grade fuel. That would equate to buying 93 octane and getting 92.4 Octane instead.

Guess I am lucky, all of the pumps I use are separate.
Shell gas seems to give the highest MPG.

Some stations sell higher octane gas at the regular gas price on certain days.
Makes me wonder about their quality.

Ride Safely,

Most gas stations these days have 2 storage tanks; one for premium and one for regular. Any mixing is done by the pump or by the delivery guy if there are 3 tanks. My quick google-fu shows that the hose contains approx. 1/3 gallon of fuel in it. At worst about 10% of your next fuel (assuming you are near empty) is going to be regular grade fuel. That would equate to buying 93 octane and getting 92.4 Octane instead.
Thanks!

• Global Moderator

The station near the airport has a separate pump for the non-ethanol fuel. I am just going to fill up there. I like riding past the airport and looking at the planes anyway.

Guest MXRider
The station near the airport has a separate pump for the non-ethanol fuel. I am just going to fill up there. I like riding past the airport and looking at the planes anyway.
I watch the planes take off and land at our regional airport sometimes too. Every once in a while you see something pretty cool fly in or out of there.

• Global Moderator

There are some really cool airplanes at Paine Field in Everett, about fifty miles south. On Thursday a formation of four P-51's flew over my house and a couple of months ago a MiG 29 flew over. They do not often get this far north though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch
I'm gonna use 89 or 91. Whichever is the mid grade at the gas station. But I've always wondered, you know the gas pumps at gas stations that only have one hose and nozzle? Since were only getting a few gallons or less, are we still getting whatever fuel grade was left in the line from the last guy that filled up? Let's say you just wanna top off your tank with premium. So you go to the gas station and pick premium. You top it off and it's only about a half gallon of fuel. Are you getting the regular fuel that was left in the line from the last guy? Or do the gas pumps drain whats in the hose after every use? I've always just wondered.
no need to run mid grade unless you rebuild the engine for higher compression. 
but, if it just makes you feel better to run it, make sure you fuel up after your buddy who pays for premium, if there is a one-hose pump.

-HowWorkClutch

What about if you have a Power Commander, EJK, etc. and run a map based on higher octane? Is that just snake oil or does the EFI mapping actually take advantage of higher octane, provided it's mapped appropriately?

I used to run a Hypertech programmer on my Nissan Titan and I had different maps I could use, one of which required I run 92+ octane. No rebuilt engine, just an ECU tune.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

If that device was mucking around with timing charts higher octane might have been needed, but it's not gonna really do much since the entire system needs to be tuned for the fuel. If you're curious you'll find lots of articles about octane and compression ratios.

Most of the tuner stuff sold is snake oil.

-HowWorkClutch

Good to know. I got the Hypertech unit for the truck for free - my truck was the R&D guinea pig for it. I'm planning on getting the Dobeck EJK to pair with a new exhaust in the future, but only because they say it's pretty much required (currently leaning towards the Akra carbon set).

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Global Moderator

I wish premium was ethanol free here. I have to pay even more for ethanol free. Of course as you say when you are only buying a couple of gallons at a time the cost difference is not too bad.

Archived