The MT-07 Forum

HIDs for the FZ07

tjwrnglr

Decided to finally take on the task of improving my headlight. I had many of the parts left over from my other vehicle's retrofits, so it wasn't gonna cost much. 

I've done my Honda Fit...

DSC_06671.jpg

20140312_131429.jpg

And my Jeep Wrangler

DSC_0377.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Got everything from theretrofitsource.com. Great customer service and support. Some of these I had left over from previous cars and a few of these paid for themselves with some store credit I received from my reviews and write-ups. Can't beat that! Spent $65 out of pocket

Here's the parts list I used:
Mini D2S projectors: $30
D2S Igniter: $35
Philips 85122 Bulb: $0
D2S Igniter: $0
H4 Harness: $0

Opening the box with contents:
3BWo3t.jpg

Disassembled and removing chrome from pieces for flat black paint:

pokyFHTbj

Before modifications and shroud cuts:

poI0cDCJj

Shroud cut for clearance. Notice how the shroud sits further back now so that it doesn't interfere with the headlight lens cover.

poIErvjbj
pnsVYKdrj

Assembled prior to paint:

pmFYX4fmj

Test fit and alignment:
poCGSXSDj
plU44KuQj

Ballast mounted with velcro pads:
pnj5sHIVj

Harness mounted and tucked away:
po8eURSkj

Cutoff:
po9Onea4j

Very satisfied with the output, the cutoff and the way the headlight looks now. I always thought the headlight looked out of place with the chrome reflector, but now it just blends in with the rest of the bike's black. I'm in the process of ordering some new headlight brackets for the bottom mount so I can modify them and move it up just a few inches. I have no problem with it the way it sits now, but I'd like to get some of that color flicker so I can be seen. Others have had problems with the cutoff being too low, but mine isn't bad at all. I'd say on your average sedan, if I was behind them at a red light, My cutoff line is right at their license plate.

Working on getting some shots from my GoPro so you can see what it looks like on the road.

Noticed I didn't get any pics of the headlight fully installed, so I'll get those today and post them soon.

booboobusfz07

So with the cuts on the shroud it gives you enough clearance for a proper cutoff on the road? I've wanted to do a projector retro but I don't want to do a bracket.
So you have to remove the chrome do paint? Guessing you just sanded it

No pictures from the front? I want to see how the headlight looks on the bike. Good work, you make it seem much simpler than it really is.
I'll get some of those later today. Noticed I didn't get any. 
By no means is it simple. Took me about a week, working on it for a few minutes here and there. I wasn't in a rush since it's been raining a lot down here in Houston. I noticed a little speck of dust that came from cutting the shroud. It was stuck to the lens and was bugging me so I disassembled it all over again just to remove it.

To be honest, the EASIEST part was disassembling and baking the headlight. I think this is what people are most afraid of.
The HARDEST part, trimming the shroud with perfect symmetry and attaching it to the projector with JB weld.

We are so lucky we don't have to remove fairings to get to our headlight.

So with the cuts on the shroud it gives you enough clearance for a proper cutoff on the road? I've wanted to do a projector retro but I don't want to do a bracket. So you have to remove the chrome do paint? Guessing you just sanded it
Yes, it gives a decent level for your cutoff. I'm happy with it. I made a bracket out of an old piece of metal I had. Waaaaaay too high so I left it as is. There's a silicone washer that goes between the projector and headlight reflector, I haven't used it in my past 2 builds because it doesn't let you tighten the hex nut, AND it pushes the projector forward by about 1/8"-1/4" (a big problem with this housing is not enough depth. you need all you can get.) 
I sprayed oven cleaner on my shroud/reflector and let it sit for a few minutes and repeated, The chrome wiped off and i just scuffed it using some 800 grit afterwards.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I've been wanting to do this before I even got my bike LOL. Great work bud!

SigSide.jpg

Beauty Shots of the finished product.
You can see why I chose not to add a halo/angel eye. It would've thrown off the whole blacked out look.
po6FbFEIj

pn5eIz1aj

pmrAiTKPj

pmOiep4kj

topazsparrow

oh shit, I didn't realize you were able to fit the lens back on over top. That just took it from pretty cool to must have.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Looks great man. You gonna start charging to do these now? Ahaha

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
xcarbonsteelx
Looks great man. You gonna start charging to do these now? Ahaha

I thought the same thing.

- xCarbonSteelx

Well, I saved a lot of money by having most of the components myself, so put it this way....

A full HID retrofit kit will cost you about $150. Retrofitting labor from other companies costs about $300 for a pair of headlights, so.....another $150 in labor. you're at $300 plus shipping back and forth, another $50.

I doubt folks would be willing to spend $350 on a retrofit unless they get a heck of a deal on the components or lived nearby.

• 4 months later...
  • Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Well, I saved a lot of money by having most of the components myself, so put it this way....  
A full HID retrofit kit will cost you about $150. Retrofitting labor from other companies costs about $300 for a pair of headlights, so.....another $150 in labor. you're at $300 plus shipping back and forth, another $50.

I doubt folks would be willing to spend $350 on a retrofit unless they get a heck of a deal on the components or lived nearby.
You willing to do it though?

SigSide.jpg

Great job! That looks awesome. People weren't this excited when I did my headlight last year. XD I guess mine didn't look as good as yours. Lol great job.

Archived