The MT-07 Forum

Anybody scraping the footpegs?

barneyfife

Has anyone been able to scrape the footpegs on their fz. I'm not sure it's possible. I'm using all the tire.The feelers on the pegs are about two inches long, I figured they would be scraping all the time and I would take them off. I'm still taking them off,but they are as pristine as the day I bought it. 

It's definitely possible to scrap them... Lots of people are even braking them and removing them, saying it ruins their fun!

Not for me though, I'm still far from them!!! I decided to remove them the day I touch them... Still trying!!!

Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

• Premium Member

Scraped my feelers once... When I partially dropped the bike from forgetting to put the kick stand down :( Never again.

Feeler broke, was removed on both sides. Chicken strips gone, but no peg scrapes yet.

Feelers had plenty of grinding. The female part on one of my footpegs has a crack through all the threads. Lost one on the road and took the other one off.. I have yet to grind the actual footpegs. An uphill hairpin is the likely candidate for your first time "getting it down".

Took my feelers off and still scrap peg. I'm used to leaning my r1... The fz touches way before the r1. ☺

Guest ChicagoAJ
Nope, and still have about a 1/4" of chicken strips on either side. Too afraid the suspension will buck me off in a hard lean.
I have that exact same worry. Turns don't feel very planted, but I'm slowly getting used to it. Only about 1/8th of an inch chicken strip on either side. 

• Premium Member

The few times I scraped the actual pegs it was a combination of lean angle and road angle. I'm not confident enough in the suspension for that to ever happen on flat road. Maybe after an upgrade.

Everything went braap.

Fearedbynone

one of my fears is a low side, because of this i am actually too nervous to really lean the bike over.

how far can i go before i wipe out? my 07 came with the battle axe tires and not the michelin tires.

my previous bike before the 07 was a cb500f and it did not instill confidence in turns, it was pretty squirrely and felt loose.

the 07 feel much more planted in turns, leans over easier, but the fear is still here.

Dave

pineappleunderthesea

I came from a Honda Shadow, and you could scrape pegs easy on that. The problem is that I got used to the lean angle on the Shadow, so it's taking me a while to lean a lot more on the FZ!

Guest ChicagoAJ
one of my fears is a low side, because of this i am actually too nervous to really lean the bike over. 
how far can i go before i wipe out? my 07 came with the battle axe tires and not the michelin tires.

my previous bike before the 07 was a cb500f and it did not instill confidence in turns, it was pretty squirrely and felt loose.

the 07 feel much more planted in turns, leans over easier, but the fear is still here.

Dave
Weird, I came from the CBR500R, in the same lineup as the 500F, and that thing was amazing. I could go into a pretty sharp intersection turn at 60 and scrape the pegs on that through the whole turn. 

Fearedbynone

Dave
Weird, I came from the CBR500R, in the same lineup as the 500F, and that thing was amazing. I could go into a pretty sharp intersection turn at 60 and scrape the pegs on that through the whole turn. 
i think my main issue was with the tires, they just felt loose to me.  
on the 07 i do find myself leaning more, i still have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch chicken strips. i have only had it 3 weeks and in those 3 weeks the weather has been horrible. i have only 800 miles on it. half of that was on wet streets.

Dave

• Premium Member

Part of it may have to do with riding style. Just because you are leaning more does not mean you are always going faster around the corner. Moving your weight to the inside would help counter the centrifugal forces and require less lean angle. So, riding style could be a factor in whether you easily scrape the pegs.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Part of it may have to do with riding style. Just because you are leaning more does not mean you are always going faster around the corner. Moving your weight to the inside would help counter the centrifugal forces and require less lean angle. So, riding style could be a factor in whether you easily scrape the pegs.
Yeah, that's true! They're is a lot of factors. 
Your weight is another one! The suspensions being pretty soft, they are easily compressed by the centrifugal forces... The more you weight and the lower the bike will be on turns...
Baniere%20300x60_zpstsvyokit.jpg

Motorboat McGoat

For me it happens when the roads are angled quite a bit. Scratched both sides lightly; left side a few times going fast down a canyon, right side going maybe 35 around a reeeeally tight uphill S turn in Big Cottonwood Canyon, UT.

Definitely a pucker moment the first time it happened XD

twowheeladdict

Y'all must have pristine track like roads where you live, and no cops because you have to be going 25 over the speed limit to touch down.

Unless you are touching down turning left at an intersection, but the the crown is helping you.

2015 FZ-07

bmwpowere36m3
Y'all must have pristine track like roads where you live, and no cops because you have to be going 25 over the speed limit to touch down.  
Unless you are touching down turning left at an intersection, but the the crown is helping you.
+1

Riding technique definitely plays a factor as well… Some will ride "on top" of the bike and push it down, so its easy to generate more lean angle (not a good thing).  Around me, there's aren't too many tight/windy/fast/secluded roads that I feel comfortable pushing real hard and obliterating the speed limit.  That's why I like my dirt bike… in the woods, I feel more comfortably pushing and going past my limits.  Don't have to worry about a car/truck taking me out or cops.  However I've had my share of spills and "damage" riding off-road.

I've hit some real nice twisty canyons and switchbacks while on vacation (Blue Ridge Parkway, Cadillac Mtn, etc…), but still needed to be careful of cops and other motorists (due to holidays).

I've only got a 1/8 - 1/4" chicken strip on my rear tire and I haven't scraped the pegs once than once or twice.  The way I ride, I'm seriously pushing most speed limits to get the bike that far leaned over.  Then again, this past year was my first season on this particular bike… so I was pushing the limits slowly.  Suspension definitely needs to be addressed.

• Premium Member

removed em as soon as i got the bike home...got way too many tire ruts here in michigan...i have scrapped my boot sole a few times a year upshifting thru a corner...no biggie... my ride style is manily dirt bike influenced by using the outside knee to push/hold the gas tank down into the turn... still do not feel the need to pop my knee out to turn (i still see so many rocket riders pop a knee out just to take a lazy 70mph highway curve that a semi can do at 90mph)... if im scrapping my pegs i better be doing something wrong...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I have not scraped my pegs, but I have R3 pegs (which are shorter than stock) with no feelers. I have scraped my boot toe a few times though.

AlbatrossCafe
I find the best opportunities are at large 270-degree highway on ramps. Usually you are in the turn for 10+ seconds and have plenty of opportunity to build up enough speed/lean if you know the ramp doesn't have any holes in it ahead of time 

Guest Ralph

I have scraped my boots, cylinder heads on a BMW, and the stand on my last bike
but never come near scraping anything on the 07, I even slid a bit of fuel
pipe on the hero blobs to extend them by about a inch and they still did not
touch, even following a Suzy plastic reptile who's rider had his knee down at
the same speed and nothing. It's doable as some scrape them even with the hero
blobs removed but not by me.

Archived