The MT-07 Forum

Rear wheel axel nut torque

eraser8

I find it totally amazing that a firm like Yamaha
that have been making reliable axles and nuts from
the days they made bamboo rickshaws can't get this
right it's only a bloody great bar of steel with
a thread and nut for heaven sake, though the real
problem seems to be the torque used to tighten it.

On a slightly different tack, in a interview one
of the team that developed the 07 said "the price
was a bit of a suicide price" nice to know the Kamikaze
is still alive and well and working for Yamaha,
but to be honest they had to cut it to the bone at
least here in the UK as before the 07 Yamaha had priced
themselves out of the UK market.
Good for us though as we got a very good bike at a
rock bottom price it was so far ahead of anything
else at the same price it was a no brainer and
single handedly bump restarted the bike market.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ChicagoAJ
I'd replace the nut on the next change or adjustment. Just to save yourself the trouble of it hangin up on you. Using the breaker bar is what tore up the right side axle cover. I can't imagine that axle cover holding a whole lot more torque than that 220 before shredding. I ordered 2 more nuts just in case. At 2.50 I can definitely afford to throw them out each tire change and adjustment vs dealing with a stuck nut again.
If it doesn't come off easy, but does eventually come off, I would definitely agree with you on putting a new one on. I just took mine off for the first time to remove my rear wheel and it came off with barely any extra force once it broke loose. I've only loosened it a few times prior for chain adjustments. I'm going to re-use it though when I put my rear wheel back on, I already have a replacement on hand just in case.  
I cleaned the threads before loosening every time, I feel like this helps a lot as they're usually full of road debris. I also cleaned the inside of the nut when it was removed and a lot of junk came out. Same goes for the axle threads too, they were pretty nasty when I got everything apart. 
So I reused my axle nut and it went on as smooth as butter. I was able to hand tighten it on a few turns after the tangs were threaded on, but only torqued it to about 70 ft/lbs. Next time I take it off I'll definitely be putting on the new one I have as a backup. 

• Premium Member

My replacement parts were shipped out this morn so I'm hoping to be back on the road by the following weekend.
Need to make sure I get that alignment right and torque it ONCE.

Guest ChicagoAJ
My replacement parts were shipped out this morn so I'm hoping to be back on the road by the following weekend. Need to make sure I get that alignment right and torque it ONCE.
Ha, good luck with that! I duct taped my adjusters to the swingarm and didn't even touch the adjusting nuts when I took out the axle. When I put everything back together no amount of kicking the rear wheel forward or putting a screwdriver into the sprocket made those adjusters tight on the swingarm. Ended up having to tighten the two adjuster nuts down after torquing the axle nut to snug up the adjuster plates. What a crappy system on our bikes, give me the old square metal block inside the swingarm anyday. 

• Premium Member
Or, you can just get the Gilles Tooling Titanium Axle Nut and be done with it :) 
- Paulie

I think I'm gonna go this route. Sent Bellisimoto a PM.

• Premium Member

This axle nut went on effortlessly. Doesn't start to hang up halfway threaded like the stock piece.
Got wheel aligned on the first try. Chain is quieter than ever.
Highly recommend this axle nut.

This thread has me freaked out. I don't want this stinking thing stripping on me. Tried to PM BellissiMoto but I'm hit by the old staff only limitation. Can someone get them to PM me please?

Quick question for those that have this bolt:
- Special socket needed to install it, or does the 27mm still apply?

Thanks!

This thread has me freaked out. I don't want this stinking thing stripping on me. Tried to PM BellissiMoto but I'm hit by the old staff only limitation. Can someone get them to PM me please? 
Quick question for those that have this bolt:
- Special socket needed to install it, or does the 27mm still apply?

Thanks!
You Sir, have a PM... 
...and yes, you can use the same 27mm socket :)

- Paul

www.bellissimoto.com

Placed my order with Belissimoto on Tuesday and received the nut today. The quality and craftsmanship on the nut is pretty impressive, and the locking pin screw is very ingenuitive. This thread freaked me out with the horror stories of a stripped OEM nut, so I feel better with this piece on there. Will be nice not having to buy a new one after every two or three chain adjustments or removing the wheel.

For those like me who did not already have a stripped nut, here's what I did to do my best getting it off with no problems:

- Clean the protruding axle shaft threads with some WD40 on a shop towel
- Loosen the OEM nut with your 27mm socket gently and slowly until it's still snug, but not under torque
- Raise the rear wheel with your rear paddock stand
- Completely remove the OEM nut (again slowly and smoothly)
- Clean the visible axle shaft threads with more WD40 on the shop towel, a wire brush, and again with the WD40 and towel
- Put the chain slack adjusting plate back on and reuse the OEM washer
- Spin the new nut on until the washer and plate aren't loose
- Adjust the chain while you're this far (the locknut against the adjustment nut torque spec is 12 ft-lb)
- Tighten the new nut to spec (76 ft-lb)
- Hand tighten the retaining pin screw with the included allen wrench (nice quality on that bonus tool)
- Lower the bike and clean up

Thanks to Paul from Bellisimoto and to whoever asked him to PM me! I appreciate it.

Archived