The MT-07 Forum

What oil will you use?

qjohnson

Most motorcycles will never see 25,000 miles in their lives. The exception would be touring bikes, but you can still find them with 1000 miles a year ridden.
Is it just me or does this seem a bit low? I'm positive you can get into the 6 digit range easily with proper maintenance.

• Premium Member
panchobullet

So far I've been Yamalube Full Synthetic 15W50 but I'm planning to move over Motul 300V Full Synthetic 15W50 in the next change with a K&N 204 filter.

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

bmwpowere36m3
Most motorcycles will never see 25,000 miles in their lives. The exception would be touring bikes, but you can still find them with 1000 miles a year ridden.
Is it just me or does this seem a bit low? I'm positive you can get into the 6 digit range easily with proper maintenance.
He's not referring to maintenance/life, I think... just the fact that most guys don't log that kind of mileage onto their bikes.  In the last couple years I've only put about 3-4k a year on my bike, due to other obligations and riding season is only 6 or so months up here in the NE.

• Like 1

bmwpowere36m3
I just turned 2000 miles on my FZ. When should I change the oil?
1400 miles ago... ;) Did you change the oil at the 600 mile service?

He's not referring to maintenance/life, I think... just the fact that most guys don't log that kind of mileage onto their bikes.  In the last couple years I've only put about 3-4k a year on my bike, due to other obligations and riding season is only 6 or so months up here in the NE.

Ah ok, makes more sense. Also as a SoCal guy the season never ends = ) 

twowheeladdict

Ah ok, makes more sense. Also as a SoCal guy the season never ends = )

You wouldn't belive how many used bikes are out there with under 25,000 miles on them, and I am talking up to 40 year old motorcycles. Touring style bikes are the exception, but you can still find low mileage examples.

So far in 2016 I have put 5300 miles on my Road Glide Ultra, 3800 miles on my Triumph trophy se, and 1100 miles on the FZ07.

2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member

Mobil 1 synthetic has carried me over to the 21,000 mile mark. Had to use Castrol once or twice when the shelves were bare.

Everything went braap.

• 5 weeks later...

I just did my oil change just after the 600 miles I used 10w50 castrol synthetic oil I live in az so the heat is bad and I used a K&N oil filter I used all three quarts yet my level indicator doesn't want to even out when I turn off the bike :/

bmwpowere36m3

Should be a little less than 3 qts…. warm bike up, shut it off, on a level surface, hold the bike upright (or have a helper do it), get down on a knee and look at the oil sight glass. Ideally it'll be between the two marks stamped on the oil pan around the glass.

Could be the K&N filter is a little larger than stock, but I doubt enough to make a difference.  I suspect you aren't checking it correctly.  Could be the glass is totally full of clean/clearish-yellow oil and you think it isn't showing.  Have someone tip the bike over to the right and then left and watch the glass.

• 4 weeks later...
dentalprodigy

Had no idea synthetic could be had for soo cheap. I'll try Rotella T6 next. Did Yamalube at ~4800 miles and it was $28 bucks! Rotella T6 is only ~$22. It's been 3400 miles since my last oil change. Good thing I read this thread and changing oil every ~3k miles because I was planning on following the 6k intervals as stated in user manual. On a cold start, bike doesn't start up right away. I have to wait keep holding the red start button down for an awkward 1.5 second. Not sure if related.

Is Rotella T6 better than yamalube 10w-40 right?

bmwpowere36m3

Rotella T6 is classified a synthetic in the US (Grp III), but its really a very, very refined conventional/mineral oil. It's a decent oil, but reports show it has poor shear resistance (in a shared sump engine). For a "cheap" good oil, I'd just use Rotella TTT (15W-40) which has much better shear resistance. Its my go to oil in almost everything... motorcycles, cars, trucks, OPE, etc.

If you want to use a real good synthetic I'd look elsewhere. I'm currently running Mobil 1 15W-50 mixed 50/50 with Mobil TS 5W-40 (both synthetic oils, non-EC).

• Like 1

thomascrown

I've seen back to back lab tests of motul 7100 vs. shell Rotella T6 on a ZX14 at around 2k miles. The difference in sheer strength at that interval was maybe 2 or 3 percent, the motul being very slightly better.

I've swapped from 7100 to T6, and the bike runs just as well. I'd rather run a cheap oil and change more frequently to maintain a slick shift than keep the expensive motul in for all 4k miles, and have terrible shifting for the last 1k.

• Like 1

Mobil 1 98JA11 10W-40 Racing 4T Motorcycle Oil
How you like Mobil?

I feel like the shifts are smoother, but it's hard to say without having another fz07 around with a different oil. I've been using Mobil since the first oil change around 600 miles and at around 4k now it's been good.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

Just bought Mobil1 4T 10W-40 (and KN-204) for the 2nd time.  Didn't quite know where to add this to the forum but..
I was looking online to purchase and stumbled upon Walmart, yes Walmart.  I step inside a Walmart once a year and have never shopped online, but I found both items at great prices.  Their website was super quick and easy and order was placed in a flash.  (3) quarts of Mobil1 4T 10W-40 and (1) KN-204 filter for $41.81 OTD. AND orders +$35 has free 2-day shipping.  Look out Amazon!  So yea, props to the Walmart.

Rather than brands, would you play around with these oil values in your bike?:
If so, do you change in summer vs winter oil?

0W20
5W20
5W30
10W30
5W40
10W40
15W40

(semi) Synthetic vs dino?

I am also confused why Yamaha still has a temp.-viscosity chart. Thats what they had in the 70s and 80s.

This is a liquid cooled bike. Outside air temp is irrellavant.

I'm a Honda bike guy and Honda changed its oil reccomendations recently to 10W-30 across the board.

Even for the 250 Nighthawk, an air cooled engine with no oil filter, 10-30 is called for.

I'm going to run 10-30 in my FZ-07 all the time..

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

According to the temp.-viscosity chart, it looks like I'll be running 15W-40. Which brand though, I have no idea. I'll probably end up doing hours of research before I choose one.

EDIT: It looks like I'll be going with Silkolene. Now to choose between 10W-40 or 15W-50. I live in Southern California so weather is usually warm.

The 07 transmission seems to favour the heavier grades. 15/40 makes for a smoother transmission and goes longer before that notchy feeling.

The 07 transmission seems to favour the heavier grades. 15/40 makes for a smoother transmission and goes longer before that notchy feeling.
If I go with Silkolene, they don't have 15/40. The closest they have is either 10/40 or 15/50. With the warmer climate here I think 15/50 would be my best bet. Probably Comp 4 15W-50 XP (since someone in this thread said ester is good).

@mugen
Wouldn't over think it.
Grew up in socal it's not overly warm or cold.
Pick whatever brand you're into 10w-40, 15w40 or whatever you're fine.

Change it at proper intervals or sooner that's more important.

Doesn't mean much in the street world but Motul 300V changed after every race weekend (roughly 300 miles) in the FZ07.

Amsoil 20w-50 in the Guzzi and Harley @ ~5000 miles.

Shell Rotella in the RD350's (gearbox) once a year, Amsoil Dominator injection/premix oil.

My .02