The MT-07 Forum

New rider from Santa Cruz CA- Doubts about the FZ

Guest rangoon1

Guest rangoon1

Sup!

So in turning 30 this year my gift to myself is a bike of my own and the FZ-07 was the best fitting bike I have found. I was solidly sure it was the one for me but as I read more in the forums I am starting to have doubts.

I learned to ride on a 2009 Ninja 650R. She was a hefty girl but my friend and teacher said, "don't worry the bike can handle it, you can't". Which made me more confident in the bikes ability and allowed me to push it more than one with less power behind it. And oddly enough made my riding better because I trusted the machine I was on, which then made me more confident in my abilities. Needless to say I became a corner addict. (not speed mind you, that doesn't do it for me, it's the control in the lean I love)

While the FZ-07 fit my legs and back much better than the ninja (I'm 5'10), I am now worried I'm not going to be able to dig into the corners as much as I was able to on the ninja, from the reviews I have been reading. I had more forward lean in the FZ which I liked (I would like even more), but I don't know if that's going to be enough. Is it worth it to stick with getting the FZ and just modding it to be sportier (if that's possible)? Will this bike be up to the task? Or should I be thinking about a different bike all together?

This one fits in my price range, and I thought the 689 vs the 650 would give me more to work with but if she doesn't corner well, that would be tragic.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

twowheeladdict

I had a '07 Ninja 650R, and have an FZ-07 in my stable. The FZ-07 is up to the task, but will ride more like a supermoto than the Ninja. In reality, it is not the bike, it is the rider. You can enjoy the curves on a KLX250S, or a big Goldwing 1800. It is the skill of the rider that makes the difference.

2015 FZ-07

Welcome rangoon1,
One word came up in almost every road test, flickability. I just think about turning and she turns.

• 1 month later...
Guest rangoon1

Thanks guys. That helped. So excited about it.

When I finally get her I would love to join you on some runs. I'm going to have to set up a phone tracker for my husband once I get her so he can find me. Unfortunately the purchase date has been pushed back a month or two due to finances, so right now I am doing my office work in my riding jacket. It helps to hold down the rage :)

• Premium Member

You can even try to find some Yamaha demo ride days and go try it out!

Archived