The MT-07 Forum

Best exhaust - performance

variant90

Now I know this is subjective, but after hours upon hours of searching I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Which exhaust shows peak performance and still has a nice sound. Was looking at the m4 but only because of the price. If it's not going to help performance wise I might as well shell out for the akra or 2 bros. thoughts / input??

The akro seems to be the fan favorite here. Love the way it sounds on a buddies FZ. I have the yoshi on mine and I personally love the sound. I run with the baffle out so it's growly and loud. I have heard a few people say the akro has a bit of a drone to it with the baffle out. But both akro and yoshi have some of the highest, if not the highest two power results from a dyno.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member

The difference in the brands is a decent amount of $ for about 1.5 hp and tq difference between the brand's...I personally love Leo Vince and for the price it can be found for is basically worth it and its one of the few exhaust that are totally tucked under the bike...and would highly recommend a ECU reflash...last I checked leo vince is likely $520 at the most from omniaracing shipped to your door...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Performance wise the Akra Ti is the best, it has the same power and torque figures with baffle in as most other brands do with the baffle out, it has over 2hp and 2ft/lbs more than the next best, check out 2wheeldynoworks pages for his dyno charts

• Premium Member

@variant90 check out the vendor sections in these forums for both Dobeck performance and 2 Wheel Dynoworks -- both have posted several dyno charts for different configurations.

Someone said recently that Arrow has the best pipe as far as gains in h.p. I can't vouch for it, just saying.

Beemer

I spoke with a rep at EJK when I ordered my akra full carbon and fuel controller from them. He claimed that they got the best results from the arrow, but as everyone says they are all pretty close. The akra titanium was the one he said gave some of the lowest performance gains, was the heaviest unit, and someone had claimed they scraped it during a deep lean. I run my carbon with baffle out and love it, and was told that it has some of the best performance. I haven't had it dyno'd so I can't speak to the performance gains myself, and I personally can't perceive a few HP difference.

I was looking into dobeck for the fact that you can gwe rhw package deal. But if the ecu flash is better i may go that route. However i do like the idea of adjusting things on the fly

I was looking into dobeck for the fact that you can gwe rhw package deal. But if the ecu flash is better i may go that route. However i do like the idea of adjusting things on the fly
Why would you want to adjust things on the fly? Once the fuelling is set for your mods its set, I dont see the need to adjust anything on the fly 

• Premium Member
Why would you want to adjust things on the fly? Once the fuelling is set for your mods its set, I dont see the need to adjust anything on the fly
Things change that affect performance, and can be accounted for with fueling changes:  track day vs. street, altitude, temperature, etc.

Thats the only reason i would like to be able to change it. Once im past the break on period i may want to track the bike periodically. Unless there is a way to flash the ecu for a good compromise between the two

• Global Moderator
Thats the only reason i would like to be able to change it. Once im past the break on period i may want to track the bike periodically. Unless there is a way to flash the ecu for a good compromise between the two
There is always the option of getting different maps, and a toggle switch to swap between the maps

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
The akra titanium was the one he said gave some of the lowest performance gains, was the heaviest unit, and someone had claimed they scraped it during a deep lean. I run my carbon with baffle out and love it, and was told that it has some of the best performance. I haven't had it dyno'd so I can't speak to the performance gains myself, and I personally can't perceive a few HP difference.
Just FYI, I've never scraped my Akra Ti on the track at full lean...

- Paulie

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Based off of the comments from Nels at 2wheeldynoworks (supporting vendor here) the best performance exhaust is the akra ti exhaust. The akra ti with baffle out sounds f'ing epic. I've impressed many Harley guys who think motorcycles are just an efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without any nasty by products like horsepower....

Now that is only if you fix the fueling. Via flash or add on fuel controller. I used the dyno jet with auto tune first then sold it and bought the dobeck but sold it before installing when 2wdw flash became avaliable. I recommend the flash because it's basically seamless and Nels does a great job of dialing in the fueling on the dyno.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
The akra titanium was the one he said gave some of the lowest performance gains, was the heaviest unit, and someone had claimed they scraped it during a deep lean. I run my carbon with baffle out and love it, and was told that it has some of the best performance. I haven't had it dyno'd so I can't speak to the performance gains myself, and I personally can't perceive a few HP difference.
- Paulie
Pegs will hit the ground way before the akra ti exhaust. I've worn my feelers away without a scratch on my exhaust.

Dobeck is limited in what they can do as it is fueling only which is probably why they saw the least performance. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice unit but to get the most out of a tune timing must be adjusted as well.

- Paulie

That's not my own claim, it's just what I was told second hand by the EJK rep. If you're not having issues at full lean then I'm sure it's not a problem.

Things change that affect performance, and can be accounted for with fueling changes:  track day vs. street, altitude, temperature, etc.
Well I dont know how the ECU reacts with the EJK but I'm sure the ECU makes small changes to account for things such as air pressure and air temp. As far as I can see unless you are taking mods on and off still dont know why you would want to change things, you have either got the fulling right or wrong and I dont like the fact the bike runs so lean from factory and the main reason we all get a re-flash/ EJK/ PCV is to make a smoother bike and sort out the lean running. If you were talking about a turbo charged car or bike I could see the point as a lot of people have low and high boost settings but on the FZ can see no point at all 

So this may be a dumb question.. But does it make sense/ would it be dumb to preemptively get the Ecu flashed for the exhaust I PLAN to to get ?? Or should I just wait and do it all at once. Based on all of this the plan now yoshi/flash but I'm not necessarily ready to drop the money on the exhaust just yet.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
So this may be a dumb question.. But does it make sense/ would it be dumb to preemptively get the Ecu flashed for the exhaust I PLAN to to get ?? Or should I just wait and do it all at once. Based on all of this the plan now yoshi/flash but I'm not necessarily ready to drop the money on the exhaust just yet.
If you get the flash from 2wheeldynoworks he can flash it as stock and get some more power out of it it will run smoother. Once he flashes it once and unlocks the ecu reflashs are free as you add mods. My ecu is on the way to him now for the 3rd flash. I pay return shipping as a courtesy.

So no don't get the flash for the exhaust you are going to buy flash it for stock and once you have money for the exhaust send in your ecu for a reflash.

If you get the flash from 2wheeldynoworks he can flash it as stock and get some more power out of it it will run smoother. Once he flashes it once and unlocks the ecu reflashs are free as you add mods. My ecu is on the way to him now for the 3rd flash. I pay return shipping as a courtesy.  
So no don't get the flash for the exhaust you are going to buy flash it for stock and once you have money for the exhaust send in your ecu for a reflash.

Well thats a gamechanger looks like ill be sending it out sooner then expected!

I had 2WDW flash my stock bike and then reflash when I bought my yoshimura pipe from him. Man that setup was good, too bad I low sided and totaled the bike. 

I had 2WDW flash my stock bike and then reflash when I bought my yoshimura pipe from him. Man that setup was good, too bad I low sided and totaled the bike. 

Ouch! I just installed my yoshi, hoping to send out the Ecu soon

• 2 months later...

I haven't done a thorough search but what I found so far the best exhaust performance wise is a make called GPR.
It claims quoted: On average there is a 50% weight saving over standard and an average power increase without mapping, of 5,5 Hp, Average Torque increse +4 Nm

More than akra. But they look f..ugly in my op.

Here is a link
https://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/shop/brand/yamaha-exhausts/mt-07-from-2014

Archived