The MT-07 Forum

Helmet sizing

topazsparrow

topazsparrow

Anyone know what size Scorpion helmets run at compared to other brands? Icon fits pretty snug as a medium on me, but Large is too big. Looking for anyone who's fit both to tell me if the scorpions generally fit bigger or smaller.

Icons run a little smaller for sizing. I tried on a Variant and a large fit good. However, I am an XL with my Scorpion EXO 1100. If you buy from a reputable company like Revzilla you can always return if needed.

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

It also depends on how many shell sizes are made for that specific helmet line. Some sizes share shells and even EPS where the liner is the only difference.

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Another important thing to consider besides head size is your head shape. My head shape is "intermediate oval" and when I tried on a helmet that was made for a "round oval" shaped head I experienced hot spots.
Here is a link to Revzilla that explains about helmets:  http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-helmet-guide

It also depends on how many shell sizes are made for that specific helmet line. Some sizes share shells and even EPS where the liner is the only difference.

True Jeff, thanks for pointing this out. I didn't even think about shell sizes. Some entry level helmets only have a few shell sizes. I used to have an old Bell Vortex and I looked like a bobblehead with it on because there were only a couple of shell sizes and just the guts of the helmets were smaller. I saw your recent post about the new Bell Star and was glad to hear that there are so many shell sizes now.

• Premium Member

Hey there,

I cant remember if I came across this site here on our forum, regardless, this site might help you narrowing down your decisions...

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

topazsparrow

Thanks for the great replies guys.

I'm eyeing up a Scorpion EXO 500 on steep discount (half off). There's just no local dealers that are around to try one on, just Icons and Bells around.

By what aaron said, It sounds like the scorpions run even smaller than the icons generally.

At this price I'm probably going to buy it and just return it if it's too small.

Sorry , you must have misunderstood. My experience was the opposite of that. I was a Large in an Icon helmet and XL in the Scorpion. However your experience could be different. I would strongly suggest you go to revzilla and look at the sizing charts for the Scorpion and order accordingly. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-500-helmet-solid

topazsparrow
Sorry , you must have misunderstood. My experience was the opposite of that. I was a Large in an Icon helmet and XL in the Scorpion. However your experience could be different. I would strongly suggest you go to revzilla and look at the sizing charts for the Scorpion and order accordingly. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-500-helmet-solid
nah, I got what you mean. I worded it funny maybe though. I mean to say it sounds like the scorpions fit tighter than their size category would suggest when compared to others. 
If you're a large in an Icon, and an XL in a scorpion, that would indicate that scorpions fit tighter than their advertised size would indicate no?

I've ordered it now anyway, worth the chance for 50% off.  it's only 7 bucks to send back if I have to anyway.

Just switched from an Scorpion EXO-500 in Medium to a Bell RS-1 in Medium. The Bell is a bit more snug although that may be because the bell isn't as broken in, but I'd say the sizing is very similar, but think the Bell has a slightly more rounded profile.

topazsparrow
Just switched from an Scorpion EXO-500 in Medium to a Bell RS-1 in Medium. The Bell is a bit more snug although that may be because the bell isn't as broken in, but I'd say the sizing is very similar, but think the Bell has a slightly more rounded profile.
That should be perfect then! I have a narrow profile and the bell mediums seemed a bit wide, but they only had the qualifier helmets in stock. I imagine most of the shells are pretty similar though. 
Thanks for the input guys.

• Global Moderator

You might try lidpicker.com. I have not tried it but heard about it on a podcast I listen to. It looks like a good idea though.

Archived