The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Exhaust Install

thez11

Hey all! I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I bought my FZ-07 about a year ago and I decided its time to replace the lame stock exhaust with the Akrapovic exhaust. I decided I wanted to do the install myself and thought I would come here for any advice and tips before getting started. I'm new to doing work on bikes however I work in construction and I am familiar with tools and tinkering etc. From what I read it doesn't seem to be a huge task to take on but I just wanted to get some tips from people who have already done it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Well, it isn't hard at all. You come from construction background, so it should be more than easy-peasy for you. I had zero background in all aspects- I work on computers, and it was easy for me.

Akrapovic comes with a very detailed instruction with pictures.

One thing though is unless they updated the instructions, there are a few errors. On the instructions it shows torque for header bolts as 16lbs. But in the FZ07 tech manual, it is 14lbs. The rearset bolts shows 16lbs as well on the instructions but the tech manual shows 22lbs.

To make things easier you should have some form of automotive grease on hand to coat the header gaskets. This gave many people a problem- the gaskets constantly falling out while you try to mount the headers on. Put some grease on the gaskets, so when you place them, they stay in place.

It would probably be a very good idea to get any helping hand (even if they have no experience) to hold up the pipe while you are trying to line up the headers.   Don't need any experience to prop something up with their helping hands.  I mean, its not needed but it just makes it much easier.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Thanks for the tip! I read the install manual online and it doesn't look too difficult. I also watched a video showing a Yoshi exhaust install and it should help as well. Did you remove the baffle on yours? How does it sound with the baffle vs no baffle?

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

You may be able to reuse the header gaskets from the stock exhaust, it all depends on the amount of mileage you put on the bike. I believe some members with up to 3,000 miles were able to reuse the header gaskets. If you have a lot of mileage, you may want to order new gaskets, before you install the new exhaust. You may want to check the forum for exhaust installs and see if members mention gasket condition with their bike's mileage.

One tip I have that I screwed up during my install is too leave everything just hand tight or a bit looser so when you install the end of the exhaust to the bottom of the bike/exhaust tubing it becomes much easier. I was stubborn so I had to used quite a bit of elbow grease to get it in there.

AlbatrossCafe
How does it sound with the baffle vs no baffle?
Do you have the Titanium or Carbon version?? 
Here is a tutorial I made about removing the baffle for the Carbon + thoughts on volume: http://fz07.org/thread/4481/removing-akrapovic-carbon-exhaust-tutorial
While you have all the tools out you could test baffle-in & baffle-out right then and there.

With the baffle in, it sounds good and is reasonable volume without earplugs for short/medium length rides. With the baffle out I honestly could not go more than 5 minutes without it bothering  me mainly because of the drone at cruising RPMs. However, I will say I like the sound quality much better with the baffle out, but you definitely need earplugs for that setup. Basically if you are in an area where volume won't make people want to run you over and you can do earplugs, the sound is better out.

PS: On gaskets - new ones are like $8 and the dealer had like 6 of them when I dropped by. For $16 total, even if you don't necessarily need them, I don't think it is that bad of an investment considering you just dropped $750+ on a new exhaust lol

i installed mine myself. never done work on a bike before. super easy. get new gaskets $8 each at the dealer. don't risk using old ones.

pineappleunderthesea

Are you getting the carbon or titanium? I have the carbon, and there is a slight difference in install over the Yoshi where you have to remove that footpeg assembly. Those bolts are on super tight, make sure you get that hex bit all the way in! I put white lithium grease on the gaskets to help hold in place, and also removed the collector that was already attached to the header pipes, that way I could individually move the pipes to help with alignment, it's very difficult if you keep that collector in. And don't misplace that darn O2 adapter like I did, the hi,e on the Akra is bigger than stock and you need that adapter. I found mine in the garbage can, stuck in all that plastic wrapping.

You may be able to reuse the header gaskets from the stock exhaust, it all depends on the amount of mileage you put on the bike. I believe some members with up to 3,000 miles were able to reuse the header gaskets. If you have a lot of mileage, you may want to order new gaskets, before you install the new exhaust. You may want to check the forum for exhaust installs and see if members mention gasket condition with their bike's mileage. 

I have less than 3k miles on the bike total. Does the exhaust not come with gaskets? I know this is my first go around on a custom install but shouldn't that be something they include with the accessories of the exhaust package?

How does it sound with the baffle vs no baffle?
Do you have the Titanium or Carbon version?? 
Here is a tutorial I made about removing the baffle for the Carbon + thoughts on volume: http://fz07.org/thread/4481/removing-akrapovic-carbon-exhaust-tutorial
While you have all the tools out you could test baffle-in & baffle-out right then and there.

With the baffle in, it sounds good and is reasonable volume without earplugs for short/medium length rides. With the baffle out I honestly could not go more than 5 minutes without it bothering  me mainly because of the drone at cruising RPMs. However, I will say I like the sound quality much better with the baffle out, but you definitely need earplugs for that setup. Basically if you are in an area where volume won't make people want to run you over and you can do earplugs, the sound is better out.

PS: On gaskets - new ones are like $8 and the dealer had like 6 of them when I dropped by. For $16 total, even if you don't necessarily need them, I don't think it is that bad of an investment considering you just dropped $750+ on a new exhaust lol

I got the carbon exhaust. I like the look better than the titanium. I live in Hollywood, CA and I use my bike for commuting on a daily basis. My commute is about 15-20 mins one way. I am not looking to blow people away with the exhaust sound. I really just want something that has a good deep rumble. I've listened to youtube videos but there's only so much you can gather from online videos. I think I will probably stick with the baffle to start and if I decide to go with more volume I can take it out. 

AlbatrossCafe
I got the carbon exhaust. I like the look better than the titanium. I live in Hollywood, CA and I use my bike for commuting on a daily basis. My commute is about 15-20 mins one way. I am not looking to blow people away with the exhaust sound. I really just want something that has a good deep rumble. I've listened to youtube videos but there's only so much you can gather from online videos. I think I will probably stick with the baffle to start and if I decide to go with more volume I can take it out. 
Yeah, once you know how to do it it takes 20 minutes to take it out and another 20 to put it back in. So no sweat if you decide you don't like it. 
I actually cut my baffle and drilled holes in several places. I found it to be too quiet with it in and too loud with it out. This gives a nice healthy medium in both volume & quality.

Yeah, once you know how to do it it takes 20 minutes to take it out and another 20 to put it back in. So no sweat if you decide you don't like it. 
I actually cut my baffle and drilled hold in several places. I found it to be too quiet with it in and too loud with it out. This gives a nice healthy medium in both volume & quality.

Ha that probably sounds like what my views will be. I will be doing the install over the weekend and I'll see what it sounds like baffle in but if I decide I want to make alterations to it I will probably browse your baffle post and hit you up with some questions. Thanks for the info!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I have less than 3k miles on the bike total. Does the exhaust not come with gaskets? I know this is my first go around on a custom install but shouldn't that be something they include with the accessories of the exhaust package?
The Akra Carbon and Ti exhaust systems don't come with the header gaskets. I believe most aftermarket exhaust systems don't come with them. You could order them from one of the online Yamaha parts sites, which are usually cheaper ($10 to $14 for both gaskets). However, shipping cost may negate any savings, so dealer may be best bet. Dealers may charge $16 to $20 for both gaskets. 

Welcome and post those before and after pictures!!
I will! The exhaust is arriving today and I will get to work on it tomorrow!

Alright I got it complete! It took me longer than I care to admit but it was fun! I have to say I bought grease to help with the gaskets and that was an absolute life saver. It took 2 seconds to get the header on and I know without grease it would have been a nightmare. The gaskets were still in good shape so I didn't replace them. I also decided to leave the baffle in for now and I took it for a test ride after and it sounds so badass. Here are some pictures.

Before
kPigUtp.jpg
And after..
QeW62bg.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys! Next step is to install my fender eliminator.  :D

Looks badass. In your opinion is the carbon still pretty loud with the baffle in?

Ya when you hit the throttle it still has great pop to it and the idle is a great low rumble. The baffle just helps keep the noise down for cruising speed. It sounds great with the baffle and for me it's plenty loud.

• 2 months later...

Hey Thez11, can you post a pic of all the tools you used to do this install ? I've got a carbon on the way too and currently don't have any of the tools for the install, would highly appreciate a picture of the tools , that would make my life a whole lot easier!

Thanks!

bigdaddybane

That Akra looks amazing ... probably the best sounding exhaust you can get for FZ-07.

bmwpowere36m3

Your going to need some tools, not many...

ratchet, 6" extension, 12 mm socket and wrench, 17 mm wrench, 22 mm socket and/or wrench, 6 and 8 mm hex keys (socket ones will be better to loosen foot peg/brake bracket... TIGHT), and something to grab and pull the springs (I used a hooked pick).

At least that's what I remember.

• 1 month later...

Great pics. I too like the look of the carbon over the titanium.

+1. I would also like to know if a fuel controller is necessary with the baffle in. I've heard people are running an EJK even on the stock setup to smooth things out without having to do a flash. I'm about to pick up the Dobeck Performance EJK fuel controller for this Akrapovic Carbon setup myself. Any negatives to riding for a week or two until I get the EJK ordered and installed?

Thanks

Guest ChicagoAJ
Great pics. I too like the look of the carbon over the titanium. 
+1. I would also like to know if a fuel controller is necessary with the baffle in. I've heard people are running an EJK even on the stock setup to smooth things out without having to do a flash. I'm about to pick up the Dobeck Performance EJK fuel controller for this Akrapovic Carbon setup myself. Any negatives to riding for a week or two until I get the EJK ordered and installed?

Thanks
It runs decent without any fuel management, not as good as stock though. You'd be fine running indefinitely with no fuel management if you want to sacrifice a few hp and tq. 

Archived