The MT-07 Forum

Tail Tidy Loose Screws

isra

I installed the Rizoma Tail Tidy kit a few months back. It looks great and is well made.  Though I have an issue where the two "pop in" retainers are now loose and wobbly.  Attached are 3 pictures. 

29220r9.jpg
2ps0m85.jpg
312h3q0.jpg

I've circled in white the two holes where the pop in retainers should insert, and as you can see in Pic3, it's loose and junky looking   :'(

Does anyone have a similar issue or advice on how to rectify?  Perhaps some shorter retainers at Lowes?  Or some kind of plug up? 

Thanks! 

IIRC this is a common issue with tail tidy kits. I think people ended up purchasing the bigger fasteners and it worked.  
Did a little search, people had a variety of ways dealing with this, snoop around here: http://fz07.org/thread/3350/installing-yoshi-fender-eliminator
Brilliant, thank you.  Someone recommended a smaller rivet like such:  
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-90269-07077-00.html

Will post (if) success when I get it.  

Thanks guys!

• Global Moderator

I went to a local hardware store and bought a couple of plastic retainer pins that fit properly. I think they were about 25¢ each.

I find it very strange that the only company that provides washers to remedy this WITH their tail tidy is Vagabond. You would think the more expensive companies like Yoshimura or Rizoma would as well.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

AlbatrossCafe

lol with mine I just put a square of electrical tape over it. The majority of my riding is in the rain and it has held for over 5000 miles, as you can see in this dirty & dark pic:

http://i.imgur.com/sQY3czD.jpg

But I was just too lazy to go to the store. New ones should fix the issue as people have been saying. I have noticed here and in my car that these cheap fasteners aren't really designed to be reliable after more than a single use.

Fearedbynone

this is normal. before you removed the tail, these rivets went through 3 layers of plastics. now its only 2. hit up autozone or pepboys (auto parts stores). most have a large selection of replacement rivets. get the shorter ones, same diameter.

Dave

Guest ChicagoAJ

Left mine out after installing the Yoshimura tail tidy. Might grab some from a hardware/auto store some time, probably not though.

Had the same issue after installing my yoshimura kit. For now I just cut 2 pieces of rubber hose to put in between the tail and the clips.

It does the job for now, and it doesn't look bad either.

bmwpowere36m3

I'm sure its in the thread linked above… but you can order a shorter rivet from Yamaha (its used on the FZ-07 between the tail plastic and fuel tank, IIRC). It's the best option IMHO, secure , clean and professional.

If you watch the tst industry instruction videos on their product, they swap the tabs out for the ones underneath the side plastic in the middle of the bike area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

About any parts store has a variety of different sizes for little money. Shop around. I found ones that fit fine (tight) and came in a package with several different diameters and lengths to experiment with.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I installed the Rizoma Tail Tidy kit a few months back. It looks great and is well made.  Though I have an issue where the two "pop in" retainers are now loose and wobbly.  Attached are 3 pictures.  
29220r9.jpg
2ps0m85.jpg
312h3q0.jpg

I've circled in white the two holes where the pop in retainers should insert, and as you can see in Pic3, it's loose and junky looking   :'(

Does anyone have a similar issue or advice on how to rectify?  Perhaps some shorter retainers at Lowes?  Or some kind of plug up? 

Thanks! 
Just fyi, I had this same issue and this thread made me want to solve it. The plastic snap rivets from the rear front plastics will work perfectly in those holes.  
Here's the part #: 90269-07077-00

I ordered 2 from my local dealer, they were like 57 cents each. 

• Premium Member

Mine did the same thing. I used some small black rubber washers under them and they fit nice and tight. Looked good too.

Sorry for the delay in responding. But yes I went to dealership and got Suzuki (they didn't have Yamaha) shorter clips and now they are stable and stay on fine. Thanks for all the hints and tips!

Archived