The MT-07 Forum

2016 Bell Star Unboxing

jeffkisthename

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I just upload a video of me unboxing the brand new 2016 Bell Star.  Check it out!!!

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Got me a new helmet. Already got the Sena on. Ready to ride in the morning. 
5aa4e164cdcc52bc7a6240917c30173e.jpgac9c2c61ac46287bde6eeb04ee5805b2.jpg
I'm really interested in the new bell star, but I am curious...how quiet is it? It doesn't look like it comes with the pinlock system, so does it fog up easily?

Is any helmet actually quiet? It doesn't come with a pinlock ready visor, but for this new Star there is one available by star as an accessory.

SigSide.jpg

Nice helmet, Jeff! It would be nicer if the face shield could ratchet in more than two positions but what helmet is perfect, right? Mine surely isn't. Peripheral vision is the word I think you were searching for and that's a nice feature. I bought some motorcycle sun glasses awhile back that looked real nice but wasn't thinking about how the frame would block my peripheral vision so they became my beach sun glasses instead. The only thing left for you to do now is pick up that lonely guitar sitting there all by it's lonesome and sing a song about your newest love. Then post a video of it. ;)

Beemer

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Alright, here's my first impression after 1 day of commuting (about 100 miles total):

Pros:
[ul type=disc][*]Highly resistant to high speed buffeting (I did head checks well over 90 MPH with minimal to zero buffeting).[*]Huge Eyeport (In the tucked position, forward view is not hindered by the top of the eyeport=more visibility).[*]Pano-vision cut-outs in the eyeport sides (Talk about peripheral vision...I see it all).[*]Light weight (Anthony on Reveille says the M is about 3 lbs. 5 ounces).[*]Can be used for both Standard and Super Sport style of riding.[*]Fits like a glove(Not like OJ's though).[*]5 Shell Sizes vs. 3[*]Super thick Faceshield (Super Clear also and pinlock version is available).[/ul][div]
Cons:

[ul type=disc][*]Not Bluetooth speaker friendly (My ears fold due to speaker presence. Fix=Skull Cap/Balaclava.)[*]Bluetooth Microphone is now super close to my lips (duck face and your kissing your helmet).[*]Though being more aggressive, not aggressive looking like the old Bell Star.[*]Very hard to get into, but once in, very comfortable.[*]No detents (This didn't bother me much on the road, but still a definite con.)[/ul]
[/div]

In summary, I found my biggest issue was with the spacing between my ears and the bluetooth speakers. What happens is my ears fold upon entry of the helmet, and stay folded, because there's no extra room. So, I can't wear this helmet without something to keep my ears from folding upon putting the helmet on . Easy fix (Skull cap or balaclava), but we will see how often I want to wear the "fix" in really hot weather. I can't believe Bell got rid of the oh so nice speaker pockets in my previous Bell Star Carbon.

Overall functionally, this helmet blows the doors off the old Bell Star. I mean buffeting is so minimal now, I mean, this helmets aerodynamics is awesome. It literally slices through the air. It is quieter than it's predecessoreally and I attribute that to the more aerodynamic she'll shape, and the brand new faceshield system and eyeport gasket.

Well, that's it for my first impression of riding with the helmet. I'll check back in later after break in and a couple of thousand miles. Peace!

Oh, and here are some photos:

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

SigSide.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
How does the helmet hold up now. I am lookin into this helmet with a 20S Also... I have ears that stick out already..
I still love my helmet. I ended up getting the "Slim" Speaker Kit, but they're not actually more slim. They thicker but less diameter.

SigSide.jpg

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Got this one to be exact. fits my hi viz yellow model 
101469-bell-powersports-star-carbon-tagger-trouble-full-face-helmet-black_1000_1000.jpg
I had a Bell Star Carbon RSD before my new Bell Star. Loved that helmet. I just had issues with the face shield not getting a complete seal. Had to turn it in for Warranty Claim and they gave me the new Star.

SigSide.jpg

tons of room for ear buds. the 2016 not so much

it is for sure not the most quiet helmet.. louder then my Bell Vortex. Might need ear plugs for this one. I guess the carbon does not block the sound as well.

Archived